• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suggestion for Lady's Mountain Sled?

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
I'm an avid cat guy, and know this question comes with many opinions. But what is the lightest mid cc level engine? I'm thinking 500-600 CC and looking for a super light mountain sled. Suggestions?

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I bought my wife a M7. She rode a Rev & didn't like it. Was going to get her a M6 but, figured as she gets better she will want the extra power of the 700. She loves it, all it really needs for her is a more aggressive ski.

D
Dec 31, 2007
n. idaho
dont buy anything less than a 800, she may not need the power now but there will come a time where she might want it. i made the mistake of buying a 600 for the wife. in no time she was needing more power, she has a 800 now, as do most of the girls we ride with do and she loves it. plus if yours breaks down you can borrow hers and still have fun
my .02

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
I'm an avid cat guy, and know this question comes with many opinions. But what is the lightest mid cc level engine? I'm thinking 500-600 CC and looking for a super light mountain sled. Suggestions?

I'm a Polaris guy, but I know three gals that ride '09 800 Revs. They do well with them...

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
m7 soft on the bottom but on the top will keep up with most 8s, light and moves well and if yours breaks you will have a hoot on this overachiever for its size.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
The M and RMK are the easiest handling mountain sleds, the M is lighter than the rmk,( the m8 is lighter than the XP in 2010), but they both roll on their side without much effort. I would say get her an 800 whatever u do she will want the extra power as she becomes a better rider and an M8 is actually lighter than an M6.

P
Jan 28, 2009
usk
i would get her a m 7 or m8 153 she will love it and be throwing it around in no time. my buddys kid is starting to out ride is m5 and he is 9. alot of the girl i have rode around have 7s they love them

P

priest lake rmk

Sep 9, 2001
Spokane WA
y wife loves her 07 151 REV X. She will be on an XP next year. She got way better on the Rev after getting off of her 600 Edge RMK. That was also a great sled.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I really like my m7, light and just plain fun to ride. Can always do some light mods later if she would like a bit more power.

I also have some time on a 800 rev, more power but it does wear my shoulders out more.

C
I got my wife a 05 M7 141. Fits her great. Had to change out the Attack 20 for a camoplast, then things were all good. Since they don't make M7s anymore, the next one in line for her would be a M8 153.
If anyone is interested, I will be parting company with my 06 M7 153 for a 10 M8. It has about 4000 miles and well maintained. Have not decided on a price yet. Offers?

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Seems to me most women ride a Polaris. But I love my Rev. I would say cut off the sway bar and put on some good floats and a Rev is a lot of fun. Definitely go for an 800 unless she just won't be an aggressive rider. If she can't handle it now she will within a season and will want a bigger one. If she doesn't ride much and won't really want to go with all the guys all the time a 600 would be great. My 600 Rev is a great sled and will keep up unless I'm climbing something steep and the pow is deep.

I'll be trading it for an 800 though because I just want more. And I would say get a 151. 144 is just too short in my opinion.

B
Nov 21, 2007
Enumclaw,Wa
Just bought my wife a new hold over 08' 700 Dragon 155, and moved the ski position to the outside. I also put electric start on it which is a definate plus for her.

Good luck on the choices.

Big

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
got her a m7,didnt like it.so i tried a m1000,nope didnt like it.this year a e-start 09 xp.she says its light,stable and has the best comfy ride and loves it:confused::)

E
Apr 11, 2002
North Idaho
Mine loves her M7 tried to put her on my 08 M8 but likes the 7 better. Probably have to put my daughter on a 7 next year she is on a m5 now and is 13 and is hinting at more power my boy is 16 and has been on a m7 for a couple of years now. I too am a beliver it was one of the best sleds ever made.

F

fraidey cat

sled

M7 is ideal only negative is no reverse so a m8 new would be next

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Polaris IQ RMK 660 The 600 class takes much less effort to ride in the tight stuff but they do lack the torque of the larger motors so I guess for engine size - it really depends on WHAT type of terrain she will be riding. I ride a 07 Polaris Dragon 700and it is a little too much sled for me the last half the day. I ripped around on Struthers RMK Fuel Injected 660 this season and was so impressed with it - it did not take the same effort to ride as my 700 yet it had MORE power to rip up slopes (it's the same chassis as my sled and very similiar in set up in all other ways other than the bar set up was a bit father back which makes them a bit tippier too). We have another 660 in our group and it makes my hubby's 800 Dragon feel like a tank. The power band is so much nicer on the 660 - instant response! So that's my next sled - Polaris RMK FI 660.

If I rode a lot more open stuff and did not have to throw my sled around as much as I do in between tight trees and in off camber terrain - I would be very happy with my 700. If I did a lot of monster climbing - then 800 turbo (not sure on brand in this scenario) would be sweet I'm sure!

I came off a 05 M7 and wasnt real impressed with the tractor like power but it handled very well and it was lighter (nice for when getting unstuck especially).

No matter what you get - get it set up for her.

Good luck!

T

triple Black

Dec 11, 2008
Revelstoke BC
www.farwestfilms.com
I rode linda's 660 struthers rmk as well and Wow, what sweet sled. Id say deffinatly the ideal chick sled. My girlfriend ride a 1000 cat and rides the pants off it too so you really cant go wrong with any of the brands in my opinion. lets not forget how light the 800 doo's are too..... But I say get her a turbo yamy with a 174!

P
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I'm on board with Sarah on this one, Linda's 685 is definatly a sweet set up, the sled is super reliable and rips, even consistant power. Any of these chassis are definatly great anymore, track length, power ect is just going to depend on how agressive she is going to be and the type of riding you are typically doing. I ride Cat and sled before this was a 153 M7, my 7 was just a fun fun sled to ride, great top end power zippy little sled, gave me a ton of confidence and provided a good stepping stone for my M1000. The polaris chassis is really easy to pull over and carve around. The newer M8's are also a great sled, great power and because they are so much lighter alot easier to manuver around. I haven't had much time on the XP or rev, so I can't give alot of info there. Whatever you go with just make sure to set the sled up FOR HER, that is the biggest key to all of it. Happy shopping! :)

Premium Features