• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wanted: Broken up M-series hood

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
Does anybody have an M-series hood that got destroyed during a wreck or roll?

I'm looking for a piece to repair mine. The M6 I got is missing a chunk of the hood, and if I can get the piece, my body shop buddy can fix it. It's the piece that the left-side strap hooks to. Here's a photo:

http://www.atvowners.com/rob/sled/m6/index.cfm?action=showpic&file=IMG_6627

I figure if I could find a busted up hood with that chunk available, I'd be set...

Rob

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I just repaired my wifes hood. I'm pretty sure that hood material is ABS, it looks, feels and acts like it is.

I used to work in the RV industry, and we found a great way to repair ABS (gray and black water tanks are usually abs, and everyone always tears off the valves - talk about a crappy job to have to do!) anyway, the black coated screen material you can buy to re-screen household window screens is a fantastic material to use for the strength. and, standard plumbers abs pipe cement is your liquid.

cut your material to the shapes you need. then, start by cleaning the underside really well, (I like acetone) lay a layer of the cement on, and then start putting on the mesh. it works a lot like fiberglass with the cloth and resin relationship. lots of thin layers are better than one thick one, different sizes of screen fabric are good to help distribute the strength.

just an idea. way cheaper than autobody supply SEM plastic bumper epoxy.

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
Thanks for the tip!

My body shop guy is a sledder and we're doing this on trade. I'm keeping his computers running and he's fixing my hood. :)

Rob

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
P.E. interested in how your hood repair holds up. My Brother-in-law does plastic for a living...aircraft certified...ect., and he couldn't fix my M7 hood. Said it's PEI, I think, with the mold release in the mix, so nothing sticks to it, not even the expensive 3M stuff. Best he could do was kevlar reinforced hot glue...seriously. Looks like hell, but it works. Anyway, if the ABS cement sticks...I'm all over it. Keep us posted.

John

Last edited:
3M Fix

I've used the 3M Flexible Bumper Epoxy on my M7 hood and it worked (still good to go after fixing it last year). Also did a crak on my 1M hood: its still good to go after 2-3 yrs. Ya got to rough up and groove the surface as well as do some other stuff to get a good fix......

kcpete

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I'll check with the local dealer to see if he has any. When I cracked my hood last year, I fixed it with a plastic welder and stainless steel mesh. I aligned the two pieces, duct taped them in a couple of places on the top to hold them in place and melted the mesh into the bottom hood itself. Removed the tape from the top and all you could just see a hairline crack in the paint. The mesh acts like rebar in the plastic and holds together exceptionally well.

--Pete

Last edited:
R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
I've checked the dealers around here. If any of them have anything at all usable, they want to sell it for lots of money. When they get in anything broken up, it goes into the dumpster immediately.

It's almost like I need to be an ambulance chaser... e.g. ride with other M owners and wait for one to roll it so I can collect parts. ;)

Rob

D
Nov 28, 2007
Kamloops
I rolled my sled 2 weeks ago and I was pissed! Broke the exact same piece as your looking for. Repaired it in a hotel room with 2 part epoxy. Called urethan structural adhesive. Expensive stuff but works sweet! I bought 2 tubes of it. Made by speed grip

Premium Features