• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seeley Lake snow conditions

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
WHY RIDE SEELY LAKE

PICTURES ARE BELMONT LOOKOUT POINT IN THE GOLD CREEK DRAINAGE looking North into the area East of Seely Lake. From this vantage point Lake Elsina is 12 air miles North and about a good days ride. Belmont Point is on the Seely maps and reachable from the Placid lake trails via either Spook Lake trail, or just start boondocking East from the Boles meadow warming hut.

Between Gold creek and Seely Lake a swath 25 miles long and 12 miles wide of burnt timberland, natural open parkland and Alpine riding. 210,000 acres roughly, then factor in the up and down, I ride it two days a week and rarely go the same place twice in a year. First trip to Belmont Peak in about 6 years.

Look at the view behind me, that all white is why this is a great riding area.

And by the way............... Monday 12 .............snow was 8" of dense fuzz powder, vertical climbing base, 55 degrees at lunchtime not a breath of wind, good day for hooky.

20180312_131827.jpg 20180312_130418.jpg 20180312_130224.jpg 20180312_130144.jpg 20180312_130140.jpg

Last edited:
X
Mar 12, 2018
jocko is up to 23" today with good possibility for snow nearly all week. the town is actually under a winter advisory for tonight...

guess we wait :juggle:

was up there yesterday (sunday) but didnt go past the parking on the westside. saw 1 truck coming back out w a clean sled

X
Mar 12, 2018
spoke breifly w a guy who went out there last weekend... said they drove in a ways and parked 3ish miles from the warming hut. didnt say exactly where they rode from there but pics looked ok.... not a ton of snow but they were able to get off trail a bit.

thinking of checking it out this weekend... anyone wanna go?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
spoke breifly w a guy who went out there last weekend... said they drove in a ways and parked 3ish miles from the warming hut. didnt say exactly where they rode from there but pics looked ok.... not a ton of snow but they were able to get off trail a bit.

thinking of checking it out this weekend... anyone wanna go?

Im from Polson, DYING to get out for a ride. Where are you from. Im game if you are.

X
Mar 12, 2018
welp i took a trip out there today... heres what we got

hardly any snow down at parking. very thin packed layer over the road for about 4 miles. dont suggest parking down below yet

drove in 6 miles towards warming hut and parked. needed scratchers down all the way in from there. maybe a foot or so at the hut? fairly solid snow. hung a left from there and took the trail around the big hill which was fairly wind blown. continued past the hill and around the canyon to the left and snow got alot better out of the wind. other side of the canyon got off trail quite a bit - id say 2-3' ish maybe. thigh to waist deep. def ridable. didnt hit much out that way... although i did get stuck once due to rider error :face-icon-small-win then got restuck almost immediately after uncovering 2 logs :face-icon-small-sad: took all i had to get outa that one... pretty much ended my ride.

only saw 1 other guy all day

turbo800rmk

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2010
Mandan North Dakota
Riding?

Where does a guy stay out there? Can you ride right from the lodge? How is the current snow?.p thinking of heading there Wednesday. Any help is much appreciated. Never been there before

M
Aug 30, 2014
NW MT
Most people stay at the motor lodge. You can't ride from there. The boy scout loop parking lot is about 6-7 miles from there so its a short drive. But there is not a lot of snow by any means And its supposed to be warm and raining this week

Premium Features