• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REBUILD SEISED

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
So I just rebuilt an M7. First rebuild ring pin came out and broke piston and ruined cylinder! So I replace parts and make a mistake and the cylinder gasket gets creased and floods the crank case. I replace gasket and use a wet/dry vac to clean up the flooded cylinder. And get 50-60 miles on it and same piston seized so today I pull the engine out and tare down the top end again. I noticed that very small amount of coolant is in the bottom of the crank case and the crank is getting fuel and oil but the coolant is showing up. Every time I rotate the assembly and I clean it out rotate it again and there is a few pin head size coolant drops in oil pooling in crank case.

I'm wondering if I need to split the case or is this residue from flooded case. I know that the coolant has been washing the oil off of the piston and caused the seize!

Let me know what you guys think!

THANKS!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Sounds like it is leaking between the case halves. It must be split and resealed.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Heck yes you can!

Get a tube of "The Right Stuff" from Permatex.

Split the cases. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN.

Set the top half upside down in blocks to hold the rods from hitting the bench. Put the crank in and set all the locaters on the bearings. Make a thin layer of the sealant on both case halves. Set the bottom onto the top and install a few of the bolts just barely snug. Let the case halves set for about 10 minutes and then go through the install pattern and torque to spec.

Premium Features