• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Mountain Performance Inc, Stage 1 & 2 Supercharger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Like many others on this forum I decided to jump in and take advantage of the group buy that MPI offered all the SnoWest members in May. In my case I choose the MPI Stage 1 Supercharger for my 2010 Yamaha Nytro SE. While I was not expecting to see this till "Mid-Summer" much to my surprise it arrived today! I had told Matt that I was perfectly good with getting it 6-8 weeks from now as I have several other items being made for my summer mod list. But the good guys at MPI weren't satisfied with putting my order on the back burner and bumped me up and got my unit built and shipped right away.

I will give everyone fair warning, this is going to be a multi-month thread that gets updated many many times over the course of the summer as I tear down my sled and install the supercharge along with some other goodies.

But what the heck, SUMMER SUCKS and I can think of no better way to pass the long hot months that prepping my baby for another fantastic season on the powder.

The first round of pictures and comments will follow soon.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I talked with matt and i will also be picking up my stage 1 s/c next week. Im hoping Chris can give me easy instructions once he gets his done.:face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
He he.
Understand I am going into this with no small amount of Fear and Trepidation.!

One thing I was REALLY IMPRESSED with when I opened the box to begin taking pictures was the Installation Manual!

That "BOOK" is nearly 40 pages, in full color, of very detailed step by step instructions on how to install and make this bad boy run smoothly.

In my world of computer software, USER MANUALS are often "poorly" written at best, leaving you to guess at how the code was supposed to work.

At first glance, it looks like someone at MPI put some real time and effort into making their manual.

Won't really know till its time to begin the install, but from what I have seen so far, there is a LOT of detail in the instructions, which for a non-motorhead like me, will be greatly appreciated!:face-icon-small-hap

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
I'm glad you're doing this to. I've always enjoyed the other review/installs you have done with lots of description and pictures.

I'm not looking forward to mine. Don't get me wrong I'm extremely excited, just a little nervous. :face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-sho

Hopefully you can get LOTS of pictures of yours.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After much anticipation, the box filled with MPI's "Toys for Boys" arrives from UPS. Christmas comes a little early this year :face-icon-small-hap

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Opening the box I found everything pretty well packaged and wrapped. The delicate items had cardboard & Foam taped to them, and all the parts were protected from each other with lots of paper wadding.

Nothing was rattling around in the box. Everything was tightly packed.
picture.php

After removing the paper wadding, the individual foam wrapped components and parts boxes could be seen.
picture.php

Taking the contents out of the large box yielded 5 major components.
picture.php

Removing the foam reveiled the new toys!
picture.php

And removing the protective cardboard cover revealed the intercooler, and all the subcomponents in the two smaller boxes.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My understanding is that one of the primary differences between the Yamaha "OEM" supercharger and the MPI Stage 1, is the Intercooler that comes with the Stage 1, vs. the air intake box that comes with the OEM package.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now we get to see what comes in the two smaller parts boxes.

Box #1....
Once again, everything was Tightly and Neatly packed inside these boxes.
Nothing was banging around inside of them.

picture.php

picture.php

Nice that they took the time to bag and seal all of the small components.

picture.php

picture.php

No Decals came with the kit.
But it did include this spanky intake cover!:face-icon-small-hap
picture.php

picture.php

S

sledfreak89

Apr 30, 2009
Milford, MI
Nice write up!

Looks like some nice quality stuff there. But no stickers!?! Lol

How difficult does it look to put on?

-Matt

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Way too soon for me to say.
Really won't have any idea whats involved until I have had time to read through the whole manual first.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Looks great, I love aftermarket bolt ons. Projects like this are fun. I would consider myself pretty darn mechanical, and that amount of peices are itimidating. I am sure that with the use of the manual and you will be set to go. Advice from me(knowing nothing personally about installing MPI products). A couple points to follow closely.

1. Be meticulous about wire and hose routing, no rubbing, or laying on other parts, if it needs to get come loom to wrap it in.

2. Clamps. . . if you have a hose even a little vaccum leak or boost leak, be sure to be meticulous about good clamps for the hoses.

3. I know from reading that the taper lock on the pulleys is very critical. If you need to take stuff apart, be sure to use heat, Dont strip bolts or anything. When using locktite(which I use a ton of at work), the key to getting it apart is a propane torch. I think red loctite needs to get to about 400 degrees to loosen up. Also when reinstalling things make sure to clean bolts and surfaces that you are relocktiting. This will make the locktite work best.

4. On electrical connectors put die electric grease on the seals, I know most seals on the yamahas have water proof connnectors but some die electric grease on the seal itself will make them even more waterproof. DO NOT put the die electric grease on the terminals in the connectors though, unless told to do so.

5.If you don't have the right tool(ex. metric socket allen wrench set) Go buy them, you will spend so much time try to get out a stripped bolt and you will have a nice set of tools to work on anything on the sled by the time your down.

6. Have fun, ask questions if needed. There is no stupid question. . . .

Premium Features