• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'03 Mountain Cat 900 Suspension set-up

N
Dec 2, 2007
I have been struggling to get the suspension on my MC 900 set-up and wanted to seek out any advice as to where to start. I'm about 225# ready to ride, and currently get really beat up on the trail heading up the mountain. I'm thinking that the front springs may be set too soft but don't really have a good idea of how firm to go with them. Could it be that the shocks need a rebuild? There aren't that many miles on the sled, but it is getting a little old. How about the rear - could the settings back there be what is causing the front to not work properly?

I have Fabcraft chrome-moly a-arms installed plus a set of Simmons skis if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
I think you are trying to fix something that can't be fixed. I have an 04 900 and they just don't have trail manners. They are a mtn sled - not a trail sled. You will really notice it when riding with newer sleds that have better suspensions. They can take the rough trails better and usually ride faster so you have to ride faster to keep up - that's when the beatings begin.

If the shocks have never been done and it's an 03 then I would start there. Get those rebuilt, take it out on the trail and just keep changing spring rates until you find something that works better. Keep in mind, setting it up to have better trail manners might make it worse in deep snow. I would rather take it slower on the trail then give up any deep snow performance.

D

Double A

Nov 27, 2007
Central Washington
Level the front swing arm out. You may have to lower the rear if you do it. Keep the skid flat on the ground from front to rear. What happens is the track overtightens... so you run out of suspension as soon as the track gets tight. Stupid design on cats part.
Loosen your track up and push down on the rear bumper and look at the rear wheels....see how much they move rearward when the suspension compresses?...See the track tightening? Now over-tighten the track....push down on the bumper...Your travel is now next to nil...Theres your rough ride! This is also what makes the bearings on the drivers go bad. If you level that arm out, the skid won't move rearward as much and it will ride better. Its not a 100% fix but, it helps alot.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Revalve the rears shocks too. The factory valving left them hard on the top and then they gave up when they got compressed. Get them set up progressional, with them softer on top and get progressively firmer the more they are compressed. A lot of people set their springs on the highest setting trying to keep from bottoming out, when the culpret is the shock.

N
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks guys - I appreciate the advice. I'll start with the shocks. I failed to mention that I have Sledjunkies drop brackets that are supposed to stop the tread from tightening during suspension travel, so I think that isn't my biggest problem. I know the skid isn't totally level - it is close, but not quite there.

Then again, it might just be lipstick on a pig.....

Thanks again -

Premium Features