• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Comparison Thoughts

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Thinking of changing up my ride this year and picking up a leftover 2018 cat. Last 6 years for me has been Pro and Axys, previously were M sleds.
Riding for me is in deep dryer powder with mostly technical tree riding, lots of sidehilling in treed steep terrain and the usual carving around in meadows added in.
Looking for constructive comparison thoughts from people who have ridden Axys and the 2018 cat or have friends in your group who ride one or the other in similar type terrain and riding. I’d be riding a 3” as well.
Also curious on how the reliability and general quirks for the sled are. I see some crank issues perhaps? Polaris dealer is an hour away and cat dealer is 3 away,,,, that should almost make the decision for me but like I said looking to change it up. Whatever I buy I’m going to have to hang onto for a while this time.
One other question that I can’t seem to find: what are the differences between the Early Release sled, SnoPro and the in season sled? I recall the SnoPro was the snowcheck sled back when I was on M sleds but they look like all same shocks, gauge etc, but no doubt I’m missing something. The leftover early releases seem cheaper for some reason but can’t see why and that’s the one I’m looking at right now.
Thanks for any thoughts.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I ride an Axys.

I have NOT ridden the 2018 Cat.

My main riding buddy rides a 2017 Mountain Cat.

We ride similar stuff to you.

The Mountain cat works very well and will go the same places as the Axys. Just different sleds. The Axys seems to get on the snow better and tractor out of holes where as the Cats seems to dig and go down. The Cat will come up on egde easier but doesn’t feel as balanced or in control, seems like it wants to just flop over.

I wont comment on the motor since the 2018 has the new motor. Seems like the Cats are typically more reliable, and built heavier in most places, with the exception of the rear tunnel section and the steering system. The lower post breaks and its the chits. Hopefully they have changed on the newer ones?

The Axys obviously have issues primarily with RPM fade and weak front ends but I truly believe the Axys chassis is TOUGH. You see very few bent tunnels and bad bulkheads.

I think if I were you I would base the decision on price and dealer (not just location, but more importantly service).

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I believe the ER was basically a sno pro with a 3" but I could be wrong.
I kinda have a thing for the grey ERs, but if you can afford id go for the mountain cat. should be like 10+ pounds lighter. the power and track make it a more capable sled than the 800 axys imo, unless you just like to go sideways across stuff all day at a slower pace. if thats the case stick with the poo.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I don't have a whole lot of time on the Axys, but I rented one for a day to see what all the hype was about.

How I thought the 155 Axys Pro RMK compared to my 18 153 MC in key ride-ability areas:

Side hill initiation - The cat was easier to initiate and once on its side was easier to maintain. The Axys wanted to get back on both skis and ended up costing me some $. I was on a steep hill and was transitioning into a side hill and the sled wanted to plant itself which caught me off guard and both the sled and I hit went down hill and hit some boulders.

Engine - No comparison, Cat is the winner. The Axys would get the MC out of the gate for maybe 20 feet racing up hill and then the Cat would pass it and continue pulling. My lady and I ran many times and even with me on the Cat at 260 lbs loaded vs her @ 190 lbs loaded the Axys still couldn't touch the Cat. Besides just racing, the Axys was enjoyable to ride due to how snappy the belt drive and motor felt, but I'm assuming if I had a belt drive on my MC it would feel similar but with more oomph.

Handling - I think both handled very similar, making pow turns, jumping, etc. I was able to go back and forth without any hesitation once I figured out how the Axys wanted to side hill. The suspension on the MC was much better and when setup handled everything better.

Ergos- I have CFR bars on my MC and the Axys bars felt pretty good in comparison. The throttle pull was nice and the brake lever felt good, better than the long Cat lever. I liked the display on the Poo but that is not something I worry about.

Track - the Poo had a 2.6 and it did everything I needed it too but again I think the MC is just better.

Overall I can see why people like the Axys, and if I didn't have the option of the MC I would be happy riding one, but the light weight, chincy feel of everything is not what I'm about, and in many areas the Cat out performs it. As it has been said many times either one is a good option but the reliability and multiple bad experiences with Poo I've had will keep me on a Cat even with the new 850 coming.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
"Side hill initiation - The cat was easier to initiate and once on its side was easier to maintain. The Axys wanted to get back on both skis and ended up costing me some $. I was on a steep hill and was transitioning into a side hill and the sled wanted to plant itself which caught me off guard and both the sled and I hit went down hill and hit some boulders."

I have to 100% disagree with you. My axys was sooo easy to pull on edge, ridiculously easy. My 18 cat isn't to bad but no where near the axys. Also I feel you may be comparing a m8 that doesn't have a sway bar to the axys with the sway bar in.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
"Side hill initiation - The cat was easier to initiate and once on its side was easier to maintain. The Axys wanted to get back on both skis and ended up costing me some $. I was on a steep hill and was transitioning into a side hill and the sled wanted to plant itself which caught me off guard and both the sled and I hit went down hill and hit some boulders."

I have to 100% disagree with you. My axys was sooo easy to pull on edge, ridiculously easy. My 18 cat isn't to bad but no where near the axys. Also I feel you may be comparing a m8 that doesn't have a sway bar to the axys with the sway bar in.

If Pros come with a sway bar from the factory then I'm assuming it did. I didn't touch any of the settings and as I stated, it took more effort than my MC does to roll over. My SO said the same thing, she preferred my MC to the Axys and wanted to be on the Cat when we got into some steeper stuff.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
The MTN CAT has the better shocks, the aluminum shafts, and LED head light.

The snow pro has the aluminum shafts and float 3s. no LED headlight

The ER has a different ecm?! or something of that sort, most are running a few more ponys then production sleds. float 3 shocks and steel shafts. No LED headlight.

Id be looking for a EB MTN CAT

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
EB is early build. cat sent out the 2018 at the end of 2017 season so you could demo the new set up. solid sleds but missed a few light weight parts.
I would look for a production 2018 mountain cat.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Cat most definitely initiates a sidehill much easier than an Axys.

Cat has Better track, clutches (finally), suspension, durability.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
If your just going to buy the sled and put a can on it, The cat is the clear winner. It has better power, comes with great shocks and seems to be stronger. I also think the power claw is an amazing track. I have an Axys and love it, but... it took a bit to make it a really good sled. Track, clutching, pipe and shocks. ITs way better than a cat now. But if its stock to stock, the mountain is the best bang for your buck.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If your just going to buy the sled and put a can on it, The cat is the clear winner. It has better power, comes with great shocks and seems to be stronger. I also think the power claw is an amazing track. I have an Axys and love it, but... it took a bit to make it a really good sled. Track, clutching, pipe and shocks. ITs way better than a cat now. But if its stock to stock, the mountain is the best bang for your buck.

Probably true but if lightest weight is at the top of your list you will never get there with the Cat. The bulkhead is strong and heavy to hold a 4 stroke that might tear an AXYS apart. For me it was easier to make the AXYS work than make a Cat light. Cat's weight is getting closer to the chain case version of the AXYS but far away from the belt drive verison. Some say you can't feel the weight under power but I have dug Cats out of bomb holes and it was nearly as bad as a 4 stroke sled. Not all due to weight though, part was the track augered it down and the bumper was hard for me to get a hold on to.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have both and like the Cat better. The fact that I dumped $11K in mods on my axys and still like riding my cat with $2K in mods sums it up enough for me.
The cats suspension is way better out of the box. I hated the axys stock 3" track in early season no base Colorado pow. The 3" powerclaw on my axys made it a lot better for me. Reliability wise I always give Cat the nod, but when I blew this new cat motor design last spring with only 600 miles I am now skeptical. Hopefully it was just an isolated issue. But I never had a suzuki motor go down anywhere near that fast. I like both sleds, but going forward I'm going to have 2 Cats in the stable again just based on that the Cat beats my body up less throughout the day compared to the axys.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Probably true but if lightest weight is at the top of your list you will never get there with the Cat. The bulkhead is strong and heavy to hold a 4 stroke that might tear an AXYS apart. For me it was easier to make the AXYS work than make a Cat light. Cat's weight is getting closer to the chain case version of the AXYS but far away from the belt drive verison. Some say you can't feel the weight under power but I have dug Cats out of bomb holes and it was nearly as bad as a 4 stroke sled. Not all due to weight though, part was the track augered it down and the bumper was hard for me to get a hold on to.

Have you actually weighed the two sleds side by side or did you just take Burandt's word for it? I think everyone that has weighed them proved the difference is rapidly shrinking. Also notice there were no weights marketed by Polaris on the 850? I'm thinking that means they are heading in the wrong direction. But of course they can't admit that after 10 years of trying to convince people that 20 lbs means something their sled just increased 10 lbs and still feels better...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I did weigh my AXYS and it was 30LBS less than the Cat. That is with a couple mods taking a few pounds off but also with a few things added so it was a near wash.

This is comparing the lightest 163 AXYS model with 2.6" lug to to the comparable length Cat with 3" lug.

And true Cat may ride better than the standard AXYS but I ride a lot of powder and have the clicker shocks (more weight) and it is acceptable.

For the OP, dealer should be 50% factor at least, in this decision.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Very relevant if your nose is hanging over a 500 ft cliff and you pin the throttle to pull a 180 degree 5hit-hook. With the Cat 3" track you are done.
I have to agree and disagree
It takes much less skill to perform that task on a Polaris.
Just squeeze the throttle and lay the sled over. Track just spins and stand on one foot and pull the bars around .
Pclaw will shoot u straight off the cliff if u just squeeze the throttle!
Understanding throttle control/traction with a Pclaw and its not a problem. Definitely does take more skill than a Polaris...

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have to agree and disagree
It takes much less skill to perform that task on a Polaris.
Just squeeze the throttle and lay the sled over. Track just spins and stand on one foot and pull the bars around .
Pclaw will shoot u straight off the cliff if u just squeeze the throttle!
Understanding throttle control/traction with a Pclaw and its not a problem. Definitely does take more skill than a Polaris...

I hope you are right about 3" tracks in general because I will be on a 174 AXYS this year with a 3" track and i am worried about the scenario I've described. Maybe the Cat (like the 850 Poo) has the power to roast a 3" track and break free of the push effect that can get us in trouble.

Premium Features