• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Undecided between Timbersled ARO 120 AND 137

C
Dec 13, 2016
Hi,

I am looking to purchase the new Timbersled ARO but undecided between the Timbersled ARO 120 and ARO 137

I am located in the Easter part of Canada. Can you please let me know would be the main difference (pros and cons) and which one you would consider and why?

Least but not last: I understand from the official Timbersled site that installation would be quite simple and will take less than 3 hours. The dealer here says it will take 8 hours. I am not expert in mechanics but not zero either. Let me know if this is doable by anyone or you need really someone specialized to do it. I have a feeling the dealer does not do many of these snow bikes installation. If I decide to do it myself, are there videos explaining in details what to do or is the installation manual quite detailed and easy to follow?

It will go on a KTM 500 EXCF 2017

Thnak you in advance.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Been doing the research and have determined that the install of the actual kit is pretty straight forward and very doable in a reason time, but the kit is only part of the puzzle.

The other things to consider are:

Heated Grips
Better Foot pegs
Exhaust Sheilding
Engine Cover
Skid Plate
Air Intake Mod
Fork Springs

All takes time to do it right.

Just my $.02

B
Hi,

I am looking to purchase the new Timbersled ARO but undecided between the Timbersled ARO 120 and ARO 137

I am located in the Easter part of Canada. Can you please let me know would be the main difference (pros and cons) and which one you would consider and why?

Least but not last: I understand from the official Timbersled site that installation would be quite simple and will take less than 3 hours. The dealer here says it will take 8 hours. I am not expert in mechanics but not zero either. Let me know if this is doable by anyone or you need really someone specialized to do it. I have a feeling the dealer does not do many of these snow bikes installation. If I decide to do it myself, are there videos explaining in details what to do or is the installation manual quite detailed and easy to follow?

It will go on a KTM 500 EXCF 2017

Thnak you in advance.

I can only speak to what your dealer had quoted you on price/hours for the install as mine did the same thing, 6-8 hours at $89 per hour USD, and we all know that it means 8 hours or over $700 for the install.

I just did the install of my Camso DTS 129 and it is clear to me why the dealer wants 8 hours the install calls for 2-3 hours, here is how I see it:

It does only take 2-3 hours for the install. What is not accounted for is the teardown of all the stuff on the bike before the install can happen. I can see how it can take a tech all day to get it all done as well as to make all the adjustments as it all takes time and it is not like a tech ever works straight through on anything, like us. We work, take a break, work, rest, shoot the breeze . . .

I did my install over the weekend. I still have some things to finalize but I'm glad I did it as I now know the entire system as well as can inspect and reinstall the wheels and all and maintaing/grease everything along the way.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Regarding track length, you will get lots of opinions, but from what I have learned over the years the things to consider are, what type of snow do you usually ride (deep powder=long track, wet,heavier snow= short track) How heavy are you (lighter=short track, heavier=long track). More powerful bike will turn a long track better, a short track will feel sportier and more playful. If you like to poke around on steep slopes covered in trees and deep snow you are less likely to get stuck on a long track. I have a 129, so split the difference. Either one will be fun!

R
Apr 18, 2016
I weigh about 280 with gear, I'm big and tall. I rode a 120 raw kit last year on a cr500 and it worked pretty darn good and I had a blast. We got a lot of snow last year in Tahoe and it did pretty well. That said I sold it and bought a LT for this year...just wanted to not have to work as hard to get it where I wanted to go.

Install takes very little time to just bolt up 3 hours is pretty reasonable....its all the other stuff, electrical, airbox mods, covers, all that stuff. It's kind of a newer sport, I think there is much more available for a KTM but with a CR500 you are engineering a bunch of stuff and for me it is still an ongoing process.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Since its eastern Canada I assume no mountain riding? if that's the case the 120 makes sense

I am a professional mechanic /machinist but don't have much experience with bike so it took me longer than it should . Probably 8hrs total. The install is fairly simple and the instructions are adequate. I think its a great idea to do it yourself so you gain the knowledge of the bike and TS kit. Out in the field is no place to learn

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I went with a short track because I liked the "lighter" feel when riding. It is true that the long tracks go uphill better, no doubt, but the short tracks are extremely capable. If I had it to do over, I might opt for the 129 but I am happy with the 120.

On the install, I did the initial one myself with a friend helping me out. It took 5 hours going step-by-step as per the instructions. When putting the track on by myself two weeks ago, it took 3 hours.

I agree with the post above - you should do it yourself to become as familiar with the system as you can. That knowledge will certainly help you out if something happens out in the snow.

Enjoy and welcome to the sport!

C
Dec 13, 2016
By the way is ktm 500 excf powerful enough for a 137 timbersled? Dealer says it needs a turbo to turn that properly...
Not sure why they say that... because they have none in stock or it is true... Please advise. I am always more in favour of long tracks..

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Clown

By the way is ktm 500 excf powerful enough for a 137 timbersled? Dealer says it needs a turbo to turn that properly...
Not sure why they say that... because they have none in stock or it is true... Please advise. I am always more in favour of long tracks..

Was he wearing a red rubber nose?
Seriously though, the 120 does just fine on a snowbike even in deep mountain snow.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Out of 12 people I ride with half had long tracks and now no one does including me... Too many downsides ....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
No way you would want a long track on the east coast. They only work better when the bike sinks to the seat. The rest of the time it will just slow you down.

Rbott

Lifetime Membership
Sep 11, 2012
Vermont
I think you also have to take into consideration the ARO is narrower than the original Mountain Horse and also more efficient.

I ride the east coast....Maine and Quebec and I went with the 137 ARO. I have two friends that had LT's last season, one on a 2014 450XCF and one on a newer 500EXC and they both have plenty of power to drive an LT. The LT goes more places easier....and I don't feel as though it a huge difference on the trail with a TSS.....

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007

Yea, 500 works fine. $hit an 05 525exc does pretty damn well if tuned right. Real easy to make your 120 into a 129 if thats what you end up needing. Your aro 120 track will be worth enough to make it easy to buy the new CMX track in a 129". Your gonna luv it!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Take into consideration that the ARO has a different approach angle compared to the TS line up .
The write ups have already commented on how the ARO feels more nimble . The only thing that can make a noticeable difference is the approach angle .
A short track ARO might also trench more that the short track TS .

Time will tell , but the new skid may be a set up better for low snow conditions .

Snowman269

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2010
CO, MN, MI
In 2014, I would have bought YZ450 Fuel Injected or WR450 FI and saved money BUT I REALLY WANTED a Longtrack. Timbersled said the 450 would handle a ShortTrack but it wasn't enough for a LT. So I bought the 500 KTM EXC. Most expensive dirtbike I've EVER bought!

Pretty much EVERYONE I spoke with before I bought my kit said to buy the Shorttrack, and I couldn't understand why so many people tried to steer me away from a longtrack. :spider:

I did what I wanted, I bought the LT. I'm 6'1" 270 with gear & I'm happy with it.

My buddy bought the same bike with a ST. He could go EVERYWHERE I could go Boondocking, Hillclimbing, you name it. He did get stuck a couple times more overall than me throughout our trip, but I was surprised how close they were, maybe I didn't really have any advantage.

How tall are you, your weight and what kind of riding will you do? The track length isn't a make or break decision, they're really close. :juggle:

Premium Features