• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Viper weight

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Saw the Viper tonight and I was curious about the weight. No published numbers I could find but picking it up from the back MUCH lighter than a Nytro and I could pick up the front of the Viper and I cannot pick up a stock Nytro from the front without much pain....lol.

In my hunble OPINION the Viper is much lighter....maybe 80 punds less than stock Nytro.

C
Nov 29, 2008
not always about actual weight as much as it is about where the weight is located .... if the Viper is more centralized it could still weigh the same as a Nytro but you would be able to lift either end more easily ..... all about leverage.

Now if you were picking up the whole sled at once that would be a different story ..... consensus on weight drop between Nytro and Viper seems to be about 20 lbs .... long way from 80!

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Anybody know the weight? The concensus around here is a weight reduction of @ least 40-60 lb range!?

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
It's NOT going to matter much when it's pushing 270hp on pump fuel BOOST!!!

Very true...kinda funny how lbs/horsepower brings Yami into the #1 spot for being the lightest(when boosted), but when weight is the ONLY disadvantage a Yamaha brings to the table the old blah blah blah starts up. It will be VERY interesting in the next 3-4 years on how the snowmobiling market will change and I'm willing to guess that the color blue will be more apparent in the mountain states!?!!!

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Very Very true.... Soo freakin tired of my buddies asking me "how's the boat anchor running?" Can't wait to be able to buy a sled and not have to DUMP at least 10k into it. The next couple of years will be sweet!!!

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
:focus: From all I've heard and doing a little research it looks like about 30-60lbs lighter than stock Nytro. I'm figuring right about 35-40lbs lighter myself. But that still is a best guess. It will probably still be a couple weeks before we get any hard #s

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
25-30 lbs lighter...MAX.
The biggest advantage will be the way it handles. It will feel 100 lbs lighter.

Going to have to disagree, at least from my experience. Lifting front and back of Viper and being able to compare it with Nytro next to it seemed MUCH lighter than 20 to 30 lbs. Eventually we will have some real numbers though....will be fun to see if you or I was closer.

Did you weigh yours before it was disasembled?

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Going to have to disagree, at least from my experience. Lifting front and back of Viper and being able to compare it with Nytro next to it seemed MUCH lighter than 20 to 30 lbs. Eventually we will have some real numbers though....will be fun to see if you or I was closer.

The weight is much more centralized like someone else mentioned.
Didnt weigh it, but I am pretty certain that 30 lbs would be the max weight savings.
That would put it at a somewhat competitive weight to a M8 or XM and it will handle equally as well. The handling is where the Mountain version of the Nytro was lacking.
This Viper is going to be a hoot to ride at 200 hp.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

remember you where picking up a short track viper ,if you are comparing it to a long track nytro the diff in leverage alone will feel like 50lbs .there is no way there is 60lbs diff in the 2 chassies,the ac with the susu 2cylinder motor is heavier than the nytro stock.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Is it a "homemade" Viper from a cat ?
Yup, and its a pile of work. We are building it as close as we can to a Viper layout so we can run a turbo on it in the same configuration. This way we get a 162 with a decent track to ride.
The Team Tied secondary is already here for it.

IMG_00000046.jpg

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
2 questions Neil. What is your thought on the chain case ? Water to Air ? Is the chain case all Arctic Cat or is there some Yamaha precision in there LOL ? Any other thoughts on the chassis as far as reliability goes ?

Premium Features