• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on 163x3x16 CE and 7T avid drivers

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Here are some pics of the track installed. Turns freely by hand (it squeaks)but it is a tight fit....not too impressed with the factory cut though....it is narrower or wider in some spots along the edge. You can see how I set my drivers to run close to the inside of the track, as per Robbie. This will help keep it centered and prevent side to side movement.

track installed.JPG track installed (1).JPG track in tunnel.JPG right side in tunnel.JPG left driver.JPG left side at cooler.JPG center paddle in tunnel.JPG right driver.JPG

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Here are some pics of the track installed. Turns freely by hand (it squeaks)but it is a tight fit....not too impressed with the factory cut though....it is narrower or wider in some spots along the edge. You can see how I set my drivers to run close to the inside of the track, as per Robbie. This will help keep it centered and prevent side to side movement.
Just a tip, The upper idlers on the timbersled set the wheels too far apart and wont keep track centered. I took off 1/4 inch off the upper tube so the wheels were set inward to keep track from walking

BOHICA

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Colorado
Update, started looking at your picks and in particular post #44 where you said Avids 7t Powerclaw drivers, yep I'm a dumbass. Ordered the the wrong drivers. lol Glad its only october and I didn't have the sled torn apart yet. I'm blaming it on Ambien!

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
lol....ooops.....good thing it IS only october !! Talk to Robbie, he knows best.

There is definately an audible clunking as the track comes around the drivers when pushed/pulled by hand. Big lug,smaller more agressive driver, less clearance....bound to be more/different noises.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Crazy question - why the power claw drivers on the 9116 track? Why not the std XP style?

Mark, what track # did you end up getting 9116 or 9219?

D

duch17

Nov 26, 2007
I had a track ordered out of place in the states and the order fell through as the 9116 is hard to come by. I did buy one yesterday at specialty sleds in Edmonton Ab but there are little more on the pricey side of things. They told me they have around a half dozen tracks there.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
lol....ooops.....good thing it IS only october !! Talk to Robbie, he knows best.

There is definately an audible clunking as the track comes around the drivers when pushed/pulled by hand. Big lug,smaller more agressive driver, less clearance....bound to be more/different noises.

The 7 tooth clunks if you remove any Clips...

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Mine clunks a lot just turning it by hand. You are suggesting to remove clips to stop the clunking?

leave fully clipped, turns much smoother than if removed. My stiff new 156x3 rotates easily on the 7 tooth/belt drive

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
What causes the clunkikg? I dont recall the stock drivers and track doing that.

Is it the style of driver and clips?
Avids are not round drivers and removing a clip lets it rotate in an[ Clip-no Clip-Clip-No clip] pattern. Also the pitch changes between the windows where there is no clip and allows track to back slip every other tooth. This is only due to the Avid design which uses the tooth to drive the track not the side lug

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Awesome news !!! I am yet to get mine out? Was the clunking noticable over the engine noise? Vibration? Clearance problems?

Byeats.....good answer above.....it seems best to leave all the clips in place.

Premium Features