• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 XM weight drop

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
If u can use up a tank of fuel and a little 3 gallon carry along and get back to the truck in a day, I don't care which one u r riding, you're gonna be a played out puppy. We got lots of Pro's lots of XP's from 08 to 12 in our group and they all pack a buddy tank, top up then drop it along the way, and ttop up on the way home. The etecs use a BIT less always, the XP's pretty same thing. We don't have many Cats with us but the new PC's seem awful thirsty, way higher consumption than the other 2. The Poo and the Etec seem to use similar amounts of oil. Why u would head out on a full day ride on any of them and not take a buddy can along I have no idea, thats just asking for a problem someday. And the weight thing, 50 lbs is 50 lbs, I don't care if you can convince yourself you can't feel it or not. Its there and u have to deal with it, especially on set up snow or when stuck or stopped. Guys keep saying it don't matter then give the scenario and the cost of getting rid of it, why spend any money if u can't feel it. Good for Poo, the Pro is the leader hands down since 11 in the mountain category, lets see how the XM can do.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
This weekend we went 160 kms one day 174 the next, all had 3 gal carry alongs, 2 etecs 3 Pros 1 T100 and assorted others, 1 Cat and one XP and 1 M8 had to bum a bit to ,get home, evryone else fine. Snow was good 2 ft ish of fresh after a 40 km groomed trail in and out.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Slick I love how you Poo guys end your posts with "Poo is the leader since 11, best sled ever". Like for every rider in every condition(mostly mountain, I get it) the Pro is the best sled. Many, Many of us don't agree. There hasn't been a vote of all riders or a consensus that is the case or something like that. We know that you Poo riders feel that way but it's not a fact. Ever ride BC, many more Doos than Poos up there. In the NW it is pretty close. The Poo has too many issues to just declare it the winner for everyone, everywhere. We will all continue too think for ourselves.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ever ride BC, many more Doos than Poos up there.
Depends where you ride....most interior BC towns are pretty small and will only have dealer representation from 1 or 2 brands. Obviously that skews the local numbers.

Around here we have dealers for all 4 brands. Last year I had one of the only Pro's around, this year they are everywhere. Lots of XP's around....but not many 2011's and hardly any 2012's so far. Around here for newer-ish sleds, mostly late model M-sleds, Pre-2011 XP's and now Pro's. For 2012's....more Polaris than anything. Every few years one brand has way more on the snow than the other's......Edge chassis RMK's, then the REV's, then the M-sled's, now back to RMK's. 2013 sounds like it will be more of a blend as the XM changes sound promising!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Jay just what I saw at Pemberton and Brandywine. No expert on BC but it seemed 10-1 in those areas that I rode. Lots of guys 2 up for sled access skiing too and that was 100% Doo.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
For sure, nearly all of the sled skiing/boarding guys ride Doo for whatever reason...nice and wide for 2 dudes I guess lol.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Slick I love how you Poo guys end your posts with "Poo is the leader since 11, best sled ever". Like for every rider in every condition(mostly mountain, I get it) the Pro is the best sled. Many, Many of us don't agree. There hasn't been a vote of all riders or a consensus that is the case or something like that. We know that you Poo riders feel that way but it's not a fact. Ever ride BC, many more Doos than Poos up there. In the NW it is pretty close. The Poo has too many issues to just declare it the winner for everyone, everywhere. We will all continue too think for ourselves.

LOL, thats funny that there is. A doo guy telling me or anyone else that Poo guys talk up the Poo over others. Pot calling kettle black sound about right. Short memories are apparently another of the issues we are experiencing here. Leaders are copied, and as is evident by Doo changes, they also realize this.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
MM has both XP's and Pro's....and I believe is getting more of both for next year. IMO that gives his opinion a lot more weight than someone who does not own and regularly ride both. We also have both and I also prefer the Doo....but I'm a FREAK!! :lips:
There is a such a thing as personal preference....I don't think there is one better than the other. Both can do some things better than the other. I havn't met too many that can ride either to their potential so it really doesn't matter for 99% of riders....it's not the sled holding them back, it's their skill level. Or in my case the lack of skill level ! :face-icon-small-ton

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
MM has both XP's and Pro's....and I believe is getting more of both for next year. IMO that gives his opinion a lot more weight than someone who does not own and regularly ride both. We also have both and I also prefer the Doo....but I'm a FREAK!! :lips:
There is a such a thing as personal preference....I don't think there is one better than the other. Both can do some things better than the other. I havn't met too many that can ride either to their potential so it really doesn't matter for 99% of riders....it's not the sled holding them back, it's their skill level. Or in my case the lack of skill level ! :face-icon-small-ton

Fair comment. I guess I should clarify and restate, maybe better isn't the right term, more concise would be IMO, easier to ride, less effort required to do the same manoeuvers. Sounds like the XM has addressed the issues that cause that.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007

And more clarification, your rant was based on YOUR comment "best sled ever". You said that, then commented on your comment. I said the "leader since 2011" , and for mountain category or deep snow ability, I'll stick to that comment.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Jay you made that sound creepy. "wide", "2 dudes" gross. lol. I do have a Pro. I am actually sinking a few bucks into it tomorrow even though I am going to trade it for a 13. I really like the Pro, love to ride it. Especially in dryer deep snow but I don't get to ride that much in wet Washington. I have 2 boys. They don't read the forums at all. They don't have any brand loyalty as they are both new. They can ride XPs or the Pro anytime they want and they nearly always choose the XPs. That to me says a lot, no hype or advertising is influencing their decisions. They just ride the sled they like best. They both took crap from Dan Adams and his crew(all good natured, super good guys) about riding XPs during a recent clinic and they still chose to ride them over the Pro too. Man we screwed this thread into the ground. Would someone get this thing back on topic? :face-icon-small-coo

R
Jan 6, 2012
AK
Edgey I fill from an electric pump that measures to the tenth of a gallon. Every single time we ride the Pro it is using a minimum of 20% more fuel, sometimes as much as 30%. Done it at least 7-8 times and the result is always the same. I never haul gas when I ride with Pros Same day, same conditions it is substantial. I do the same with fuel . Ride it in, fill it up and dump the can, then fill again and bring the empty can out. I would bet anybody $500 that we ride together until the Pro runs out of gas and my ETEC will have at least 2 gal in it and it holds a little less than a Pro. Just to make it honest we switch sleds for the whole day so no sand bagging. Any takers?
Anyone who thinks they can feel 25 lbs on a 500lb machine with a 200 lb rider and 50lbs of snow stuck to it has a way better weight sensor than me. I bet I could put 25lbs of lead on someones sled and they would never feel a thing.
I love the E start. I have broken my back, separated my right shoulder and 13 years of football left me with a neck that is a house of cards. Yanking on that rope does me no good at all. 6pm on the ride back or a stuck fest day the e start is priceless.
The money I will spend on mods is not just for weight loss. I really like the sound and power bump of the full SLP pipe/can set up. I also love my Fox air shocks. Right there is half the 50lbs and most of the money. Weight loss is only a bonus there.
sketch, I call BS on you. You are 80lbs heavier than a guy on an ETEC and you pull him on hills? No way, no freaking way. The Pro is lighter and puts the power to the snow well, the ETEC has more power and track. I will give you equal, or even slightly better all other things being equal. But 80lbs and you win. BS.
i ride with a 2012 m8 and a 2012 pro . the pro only gets 1/2 as high as the cat or myself. both use 2-3 gals more gas than my e-tec

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Jay you made that sound creepy. "wide", "2 dudes" gross. lol. I do have a Pro. I am actually sinking a few bucks into it tomorrow even though I am going to trade it for a 13. I really like the Pro, love to ride it. Especially in dryer deep snow but I don't get to ride that much in wet Washington. I have 2 boys. They don't read the forums at all. They don't have any brand loyalty as they are both new. They can ride XPs or the Pro anytime they want and they nearly always choose the XPs. That to me says a lot, no hype or advertising is influencing their decisions. They just ride the sled they like best.
Fair enough....that game goes both ways tho. I took my girl out on a nice snow day a few weeks ago; she usually just doubles with me but wanted me to teach her to ride pow, do turns etc. She borrowed her dad's XP to have her own ride....tried her damndest on that machine for awhile. We switched sleds and she took to the Pro instantly...was blown away by the difference. After not so much time, she could do awesome turns on it:

425255_10150693147545211_510070210_11754051_539764368_n.jpg

I'd LOVE to see a pic of a 5'3" 115lb girl who's barely ridden off-trail, never owned a sled, getting the bars in the snow on a 163" XP (with the suspension setup for a 215lb guy and the swaybar still in)....in fact, I'll gladly wait for it! Feet on both sides on an off-camber slope to boot.....LOVE to see it :D

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I would agree the Pro is a great girls sled. Girly men like them too. The more girlish the man the better they like the Pro. You are 100% right there...

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
2013 XM

Yesterday I got to ride the 2013 Skidoo 154 X. All I can say is WOW!!!! I rode in on a Pro RMK with a turbo. We actually had 2 turbo Pros in the group. I went directly from the Pro to the XM and what a difference. The XM works really well. The 154 kept making me think there was a 163 under it. We were in over the hood snow and you could do a down hill powder turn and go right back up the hill to the top. The sled loves to blow donuts too. All you have to do is think donuts and next thing you know your half way through your second one. I was going to line the turbo pro up with the stock XM but I was scared to do this cause i think the XM would've given the turbo pro challenge.

If you haven't had a chance please contact your local dealer and ask about a demo ride. I promise will not regret riding it.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So then she and you will not like the new, easier to handle XM that Doo has engineered to handle more like the other brands....correct? That would make it a sled for pussies....correct?

Just want to make sure we're historically accurate on all the foot-in-mouths when team yellow die-hards all of a sudden LOVE the "girly" XM version of the "manly" XP.....

Last edited:
T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
So then she and you will not like the new, easier to handle XM that Doo has engineered to handle more like the other brands....correct? That would make it a sled for pussies....correct?

Just want to make sure we're historically accurate on all the foot-in-mouths when team yellow die-hards all of a sudden LOVE the "girly" XM version of the "manly" XP.....
correct when we get older we will concider it thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Keep in mind it will also be about just as easy to take 20-30lbs off of the already 35lb lighter girls sled... Diamond S hood- 11lbs HPS can- 7lbs Titanium a-arms- 8lbs on 11 and 12, 6 on the 13 Hood foam- 1 to 2 lbs.. and theres well 26 lbs off for about $1600. 391lb sled, yes please.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
And what all this girly talk? If a sleds easier to ride, thats the one I wanna ride. Its not being a girl, its using your head.

Premium Features