• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

had my engine spin balanced

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
:frusty::frusty: ate the pull rope and i could still see the truck in the parking lot and never added any hp or performance that I could see not to happy about buying a pull rope did it so I didn't have to work on it anymore and what i'm i doing working on my sled again :censored:

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Post some pics of the damage so they people can see what you are talking about-pretty nasty mess. Get the 174 or Cat done and I'll throw 'er on the trailer for Friday.

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
wouldn't be so :mad2: if I didn't pay to do some guys R&D for him and then call him and been maybe a month since we did it and he said's we dont do it that way anymore :mad2::mad2:

K
Dec 23, 2009
spin ballance :(

my buddy n i did the spin ballance. between the two of us we went through 4 pull starts at the tune of $160.00 each. OUCH!!! The manufacture has a all out recall on them. contact him he is making some out of high carbon steel. My thoughts are that the aluminum is allowing to much heat to transfer and messing the plastic pull start up. and none of ours detonated and got jacked up like that one in the picture...

On the 07 n 08 800r there is a fly wheel off the mag. cover, 09 and up dont. i assume the mag. cover is just heavier. my question is, u remove the fly wheel on the 07, 08 but on 09 n up you are adding material between the mag. n the pull start basket. does that added material present an issue??? thanks

Last edited:
M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
I think what is going on is the holes in the disk he balances moves more air and at higher rpm's moves to much air and pulls the pull starter into the motor because he told me to put 3 washers behind the pull starter to space it out and I think thats to let the air out more so the pull rope wont get sucked in to the crank but could be wrong just is upsetting to pay to have this done and then have this happen first ride and have it on another sled and don't wont to ride it and replace two pull ropes bad deal

T
Apr 10, 2011
I'm on my 3rd recoil in 177mi took aluminum flywheel weight off and just checked recoil after 80 mi and looks perfect sled gained 200 rpm without flywheel weight one click down and right where it was. Didn't notice any hp gain but did rev smoothly and hold power well with the weight.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
How does that piece "balance" anything, it looks very symetrical? Looks like added mass to lower the frequency so you don't "feel" the pulse at lower RPM's....like adding a starter ring gear to Polaris. Or is there another piece not pictured?
What does the additional mass do at high RPM's where it felt smooth to begin with??

Last edited:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Damage

IMHO you have an extra part, bolt or other foreign object loose in there to cause that damage.

A flywheel such as that, with weights inserted on the back side, may be part of a balancing kit. Yes, the starter assembly does need to be spaced out the thickness of the inner attachment area if the engine did not come with this type of flywheel.

That must have made a hell of a noise while that motor was running in that condition. Amazing it made it as far as it did!

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
never got a spacer and the pull starter hooked the crank and the spring from the pull rope after broke was grabbing that thing

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
p

Is this from perks? Because when I got mine from him it came with an aluminum ring that bolted on between the crank case and the plastic recoil. Because you put that pie weight on the crank underneath the cage that was originally bolted to the crank it pushed that cage out like an 1/16 of an inch or so, and now the recoil isn't lined up correctly and is to close causing your disaster. If you got this kit from Perks and he didn't send you the recoil ring spacer thats your problem.

D
Jan 11, 2011
if its perks there is a spacer that goes between the block and rope pull housing mine works great no problems hes a stand up guy call him
instead of trashing his product

the definition of insanity

doing the same thing repetitively and expecting different results

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Kit

My Perks balance is amazing as well. Because he is not ID'ing a source should we likely believe this is a Perk's poser kit?

Perks is patented, maybe that and the fact when you balance cruise missiles skuds are no big deal?

I no longer have hands that go numb and the clutch shifts way smoother. Testing against a known sled that was held constant the Perks Balanced sled is quicker from 20 to 70 MPH as well. Happy customer here!:smile:

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
I'm not on here bashing anyone's name just telling what happend to me haven't said a name just not happy to put a 170 dollar pull rope on and alot of my money already in it and time thats it

T
Apr 10, 2011
Is this from perks? Because when I got mine from him it came with an aluminum ring that bolted on between the crank case and the plastic recoil. Because you put that pie weight on the crank underneath the cage that was originally bolted to the crank it pushed that cage out like an 1/16 of an inch or so, and now the recoil isn't lined up correctly and is to close causing your disaster. If you got this kit from Perks and he didn't send you the recoil ring spacer thats your problem.

I did have the spacer installed and cooked 3 properly installed recoils went back to stock and no more melting recoil.

Premium Features