• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Perks Balancing

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
One of my buddies had his clutched balanced by them. It does idle smoother, but the ugly drill marks to remove material is kind of a turn off. His former partner ruined a perfectly good 800R crank by welding and grinding on it. Perks seems to do good work though...

Last edited:
H
Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
:face-icon-small-ton We balanced a 2012 Etec clutch today and the BRP alignment marks were off 45 degrees from the unbalance area on the front end of the sheave. My question is what are they up to and the clutch was out of balance 13 grams on the front end and 3 grams on the back side?
The customer lined up the marks and even indexed the clutch several times and it didn't take out the shake.

I talked with the guys in the skidoo booth at the local snowshow and they told me that the 2012 clutch alignment marks aren't indexed like the older ones. They are mis-aligning the marks to give it counterweight to help smooth out some of the vibrations. He also told me that if you align it like normal (2011 and previous) it will shake worse. It sounded like the mark on your fixed half needs to be pointing down and the outer half was indexed 90 degrees off of it if I remember correctly.

D
Jan 11, 2011
One of my buddies had his clutched balanced by them. It does idle smoother, but the ugly drill marks to remove material is kind of a turn off. His former partner ruined a perfectly good 800R crank by welding and grinding on it. Perks seems to do good work though...

my clutch had no drill marks it had material removed from it was a nice looking job

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pic #1 shows where/how the weight was removed and pic #2 is how it looks before. Bad pics I know. The fixed sheave has a small amount (3 grams) of material removed on the back side at the "v" notch area. The movable sheave was 13 grams out.

where did all those grindings go.Hmm:face-icon-small-con.what would an anal one do!

Last edited:

revxp-12

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2011
Is the fact the the primary clutch is unbalanced due to poor machining of the sheeves or is it the internal moving parts?

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Pic #1 shows where/how the weight was removed and pic #2 is how it looks before. Bad pics I know. The fixed sheave has a small amount (3 grams) of material removed on the back side at the "v" notch area. The movable sheave was 13 grams out.

That's definately cleaner than the old way...

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Is the fact the the primary clutch is unbalanced due to poor machining of the sheeves or is it the internal moving parts?

Typically these parts are cast/forged. When the machining process occurs there is usually fixtures/jigs that have an acceptable tolerance the blank parts will mate to. The only way around this to machine it out of one solid piece. Even then you can have material variations that might need fine tuned. Stack that on top of mating parts tolerances(fixed half, moveable half, hub) it all adds up. It would cost Ski-doo a bunch more money in manufacturing costs if they balanced each part individually, like they do to turbos.

revxp-12

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2011
Has anyone weighed each individual internal part, made sure they are all exact before having clutch balanced?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
seems everyone is just making sure the internal parts are all working properly or replaced before shipping out to perks. had my primary done. 16 on the front 3 on the back. clean work, and worth the money spent.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Has anyone weighed each individual internal part, made sure they are all exact before having clutch balanced?

i would rather have the clutch balanced without ramps and arms.Then weigh your setup and install assuring all are the same, This way when you change your clutching you start with a Balanced clutch every time,

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.

I did. I weighed every single part and matched them to the lighter weights, I weighed the ramps (those were off alot by the way), arms, pins, pin weights, bolts, etc....all new bushings too....arms, movable sheave and spring cup. I'm kinda anal like that.....when I received it back from Perks, I opened her up and blew her out good to get rid of any machine filings.....I'm kinda anal like that. Some call me anal...lol.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I just rode my 2011 800 etec summit for he first time with perks spin balancing kit installed on it
"WOW" engine is amazingly smooth now no vibration in the running boards (air Frames) or handle bars
there's a slight vibe as engine is coming off of idle 1800 to 2500 but not bad at all Less than stock
once sled is moving its really smooth, watching the clutch when its running it doesn,t dance around anymore its very concentric
switched back and forth between mine and my buddy's 2010 summit x night and day difference his vibrated almost the same as mine before
I can pull 2 more grams of weight in the primary on the same clicker # just from the balancing & install was Straight forward about 3 Hrs
This is the Real deal !!! best $350 ive spent on my sled

That spin balancing is an exceptional modification. I used to work in a paper mill, my job was vibration analysis for over 9 years, the last 4 of them I did some balancing. Some of the giant rotors that would spin over a thousand rpm, the electricity saved on these 2300Volt drives was enough to pay for the balance equipment and buy a few balance toys for the company.

I cannot believe how smooth an 800R can run with a balanced primary, I have got to run a sled myself with one of these balanced primaries, it is as smooth as my best friend’s Yamaha nytro.
...Freeing up a lot of energy.

Gonna see if I can get a drag racer i'm helping out to do both his clutches and the drive sprocket.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
put the first ride on mine today. cant say there was a noticable diff because the end of last year my primary and secondary springs had both lost return strength, so i was slowly losing performance. with the clutch kit back to new and the primary balanced,,,, it ripped today. held 81to8300rpm in any climb constantly.much happy:face-icon-small-hap and the new belt still looked new at the end of the day. 58:face-icon-small-hapmiles

E
Dec 19, 2007
I also had the clutch/engine balance done on my 09 Summit, checking that all internal parts were exactly matched and all bushings were good before sending in. After running it I can say that it is much smoother on the idle and smoother through the whole rpm range. Lined up an 07 800R, 08 800R, and my 09 and the difference was very evident. That was all at the shop, then we went for a ride. The sled ran very well prior but runs even better now. Had to wind out my Shockwave 2.5 degrees just to get it down to normal operating rpm on #1 for testing. Just added 2 grams in the pin, .9 in the middle hole, and 2.2 in the bottom to try and get it back down to a better angle on the helix and keep it from over rev. I'd say that it works, best money I've spent so far on the sled.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
:face-icon-small-ton We balanced a 2012 Etec clutch today and the BRP alignment marks were off 45 degrees from the unbalance area on the front end of the sheave. My question is what are they up to and the clutch was out of balance 13 grams on the front end and 3 grams on the back side?
The customer lined up the marks and even indexed the clutch several times and it didn't take out the shake.
Again I'll tell you the CRANKS ARE OUT OF BALANCE JUST AS MUCH ON A 2012 AS THEY ARE ON A 2009, 2010,2011 OR ANY OTHER ONE. And it's not crank run out it's uneven distribution of the mass ( crank throws, rods, pistons, etc.). And you can fix the run out and when you don't fix the unbalance the run out will become bad again and when the bearing start to wear the run out increases as well.
I have a guy bringing a 2012 Etec to my shop in a week because it just shakes too much.

Balancing is one thing, shaking is another. The process of combustion in a two stroke will make the engine shake. Just having casting differences or machining differences between the cylinders will cause shaking or unbalance while running. One engine's cause of shaking is different than another. And you will only minimize it at best, you might even make it worse. There is more factors involved in a smooth running engine than balancing the clutch. (example: a bad spark plug will make an engine shake, don't asume the cause of shaking is unbalance)
JMO

Last edited:
Premium Features