• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Balancing question ????

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Alot of good questions here. I think Gus is right on. Something I dont think perk understands. He can spin balance a clutch nice, just dont let him touch your motor or crank.

G
Apr 23, 2008
External does not mean the internal pieces are not weighed and matched.

It just means an additional mass is required at the ends so as to cut cost on the manufacturers end.
Adding mallory is expensive so its a common practice on a few odd combos.

Gus

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Yes i know this. I should've been more clear.

the pistons,pins,and rods must weight the same but the crank doesn't have enough counter weight to balance, thus adding or subtracting weight on the flex plate and balancer to balance.

counter weight on balancer and or holes drilled. weights on flex plate.

int balance uses a balanced flex plate and dampener. spinning crank only.

ext bal is spinning the flex plate,crank and harmonic balancer.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
So why couldn't you externally balance a snowmobile motor?

then you wouldn't have to split the crank.

machine a groove for a small woodruff key in crank and primary for exact install of primary.

like in previous post. noone saying its not possible. might have to have my BBF, engine builder doo It.

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
If you only bore half the cylinder is it still better than NOT boring it all the way thru ?

adding an external mass to offset the shaking is not how an engine is balanced.you need to do all the work not parts of it, to complete the job..

its like a patent,, you BUY a patent , it proves NOTHING..

No worries, We have a fool out here who is sending his Rt1000 engine to this scammer..
When it comes back we will video document and dyno test to prove that he was scammed.
No power increase
No speed increase ( not close to 18 mph )

No change left in your pocket but hey,,there's a sucka born every day..

for my next trick I will spin an elephant and prove its a better spinning elephant than the stock elephant.

lol

Gus

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
So why dont you wait until after you dyno test the "fools" engine before you start talking Sh*t about this guys product? Im always skeptical of someone who bashes others products. Sure, it may not make the power that he claims and it may not be the perfect way to balance an engine, but there is clearly a benefit to keeping the sled from shaking itself and the rider to pieces. especially if you dont have to tear the sled completely apart down to the crank to do it.

If you only bore half the cylinder is it still better than NOT boring it all the way thru ?

adding an external mass to offset the shaking is not how an engine is balanced.you need to do all the work not parts of it, to complete the job..

its like a patent,, you BUY a patent , it proves NOTHING..

No worries, We have a fool out here who is sending his Rt1000 engine to this scammer..
When it comes back we will video document and dyno test to prove that he was scammed.
No power increase
No speed increase ( not close to 18 mph )

No change left in your pocket but hey,,there's a sucka born every day..

for my next trick I will spin an elephant and prove its a better spinning elephant than the stock elephant.

lol

Gus

Last edited:

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
So why dont you wait until after you dyno test the "fools" engine before you start talking Sh*t about this guys product? Im always skeptical of someone who bashes others products. Sure, it may not make the power that he claims and it may not be the perfect way to balance an engine, but there is clearly a benefit to keeping the sled from shaking itself and the rider to pieces. especially if you dont have to tear the sled completely apart down to the crank to do it.

I was one of his guinee pigs back in 2005. Lets just say it didn't turn out positive. I thought he would have givin up after the experience he had with two 900 cat motors. After his balance job the 900's ended up with a horible harmonic vibration @ 3000 rpm. It would shake itself apart!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Balancing is one thing....but adding or removing mass is another. If you change this, then (as in the previous post) you probably change the frequency (RPM) of resonance. You would need to run through the entire RPM range to be sure.

J
Sep 9, 2011
I was one of his guinee pigs back in 2005. Lets just say it didn't turn out positive. I thought he would have givin up after the experience he had with two 900 cat motors. After his balance job the 900's ended up with a horible harmonic vibration @ 3000 rpm. It would shake itself apart!

I know a performance shop that sent a couple of 800R motors to perks to have them balanced for his customers last season and then bought a couple of the bolt on kits, none of them are happy, he thinks there was less vibration but the biggest problem is the lost performance. Especially in heavy snow conditions mountain riding. He removed perks stuff & put back to stock, sleds recovered lost performance. Sucks to be a guinea pig for $350 to $450 bucks:boxing:. Try adding rotating mass to any 2 stroke motor & see if it faster?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
adding weight to an unbalanced primary to spin it smooth will give the ability to run up rpm quicker and hold rpm consistent. :boxing:

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
makes perfect sense to me. and less then 100 bucks,,,, cant go wrong with that.........usually its 100 bucks to take a pound of weight off ur sled. now were adding grams into it for 50 bucks a shot:spit:

G
Apr 23, 2008
Paul, Its not a product,its a service. I am always skeptical of someone who does not have good reading skills,///LOL

I am not bashing a product, just clarifying what correct Balancing of a rotating and reciprocating assy is..

Looking above I see the past is repeating itself...

still have that nagging bog ?

Gus

Premium Features