• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo XP VS. Polaris Pro

D

Dirt Digger

Mar 1, 2009
All right this is a little off base but a good fun chat subject. Has anyone ran with the new polaris pro 800. I don't give a crap about performance in poor snow conditions but how do they run against the XP 800 in deep snow climbing and boon docking? I have a hard time believing they can run with the xp but what have you guys seen? Be honest!!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The Pro's kicked butt to my E-Tec in Colorado in dry cakey snow. I was on clicker 6 which kills the track speed but the Polaris's did not trench like my E-Tec did. I don't believe the results would be the same in heavy snow. The Pro's tracks are better in light stuff but slip in the heavy stuff. It seemed like the altitude was harder on the E-Tec too. My kids 2010 RMK 700 IQ worked good down there too and beat the E-Tec in a short race up a hill. He only weighs 130 lbs but still that should not have happened. Some will say something is wrong with my sled but it rips at 6000 ft. Colorado was 10,000 + ft. At Revy this past weekend, we saw a bunch of Pro's and as they were climbing Super Bowl, many sounded terrible, farting and choking and not moving very fast.

You may ask this questions and get very mixed responses.

D

Dirt Digger

Mar 1, 2009
I planned on mixed responses just thought it would be fun to see what people had to say. Thanks for the ifno.

superfly333

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
MN
Just drove a Pro Assult 155'' Sunday, I would say there a good contender to the E-Tec. But I dont know if I would say there better, I think I would call it even. Each sled has its strongpoints. I like the way it handles and I think it gains better RPM's in the midrange. I think that is due to Polaris's clutching, dont have issues like Ski-Doo does, seems like theres is more simple. The Polaris is noticeably lighter. One bad thing I do have to say about it is the running boards are supper narrow. The riding position on the E-Tec is better to me, I have much more confidence in the Ski-Doo, and I just overall like the performance of my E-Tec better. I also like the way my E-Tec rides and after a little bit of clutching work I will have her down. I will keep my E-Tec. Maybe im a little bias, but Polaris would be my second choice for sure.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
out three days this weekend and not one pro to compare, i was looking, had a beer with a guy that ran up a hill with one the day before, he said they were even

then we ran a long pull, his etec against mine, and they were not even close, almost like a bb compared to a stocker, we then found out he was running 8400 rpm.....

makes me think about guys running pros and loosing, this was a prime example of how to loose up a hill:face-icon-small-hap

bring on the pro....

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
My buddy has a Pro 155" and I have an E-Tec X 154". I hate to admit it, but the Pro climbs and sidehills extremely well. Will it outclimb an XP? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. It really depends on the line you get at the bottom of the hill, and my buddy weighs 40 LBS. less than I do. There are some hills where the Pro climbs better than my E-Tec for some reason. The E-Tec climbs like crazy if you hit the hill hard at the bottom, but like to trench when your speed drops. If you can hit the hill with the flipper pinched on an E-Tec, it will outclimb the Pro, and it has noticeably more power than the Pro. But the Pro stays on top of the snow better, and just keeps climbing. The Pro will be the sled to own, in my opinion, when Polaris gets into the HP game again. The Pro with 160 + HP would be unbeatable. I can't imagine riding a Pro with boost, that thing would be nuts. That being said, I really like my E-Tec. This sled has made me a better rider. The harder you ride it, the more fun it is. These XP's are like dirt bikes, they like to be ridden wide open with one or both skis in the air, with the flipper pinched, tearing into a sidehill or some gnarly, technical hill. Life is good!:face-icon-small-hap

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I haven't seen any Pros out on the mountain (other than the parking lot) to start any comparing either. I do know that Polaris sleds do a better job at holding a hard turn in hard crusty situations but the track would tend to wash out. The XP tends to want to flatten out. I would like to see the Pro side by side for me to compare but compared to the Dragon, the XP is far easier to get it unstuck with a ski pull and rolling it over to get unstuck.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
The Pro's kicked butt to my E-Tec in Colorado in dry cakey snow. I was on clicker 6 which kills the track speed but the Polaris's did not trench like my E-Tec did. I don't believe the results would be the same in heavy snow. The Pro's tracks are better in light stuff but slip in the heavy stuff. It seemed like the altitude was harder on the E-Tec too. My kids 2010 RMK 700 IQ worked good down there too and beat the E-Tec in a short race up a hill. He only weighs 130 lbs but still that should not have happened. Some will say something is wrong with my sled but it rips at 6000 ft. Colorado was 10,000 + ft. At Revy this past weekend, we saw a bunch of Pro's and as they were climbing Super Bowl, many sounded terrible, farting and choking and not moving very fast.

You may ask this questions and get very mixed responses.

I think your clutching is off is what your problem is for riding in CO. I can pull 8000 all day long in clicker 4. If a 700 piglaris got you something is up.:face-icon-small-dis

D

Dirt Digger

Mar 1, 2009
I agree! Have friends with the polaris IQ (JUNK) and they just don't have it, But does the Polaris PRO????? "I hope polaris will compete" Then skidoo can break the mold again!!!!!!!!!!!

BlazinBill

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Just rode the Pro out in Togwotee. The biggest thing I noticed compared to my Etec was how harsh it delivers power, it was not smooth in anyway when nailing the flipper It is a cool looking sled and does have plenty of flotation and zip, I thought it carved about the same as my Etec, I fell off both sleds equally making sharp cuts. We also did stick it quite a few times. The guys at the rental place put some oil in the gas and said if they didn't it would explode...kinda interesting. The side panel access is pretty annoying, but I'm sure that will be improved next year. The ergos are nice and it's fun to ride, except my feet would slip out of the footwells, or whatever they have. Still love the Etec way better. My stock clutching held at 8000 both on trails and on long climbs and there was no hesitation or hiccups on either of the 2 etecs in our group, and the power delivery is strong but smooth. When you roll them over, they start first pull and they don't skip a beat. I made a good choice going with the Etec, just fits me better, is crazy fun to drive and boondocking through the trees is a blast, the thing just doesn't want to get stuck. It doesn't always start first pull, the tether can be annoying and the skis push more than they should, but otherwise she's a keeper.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I agree! Have friends with the polaris IQ (JUNK) and they just don't have it, But does the Polaris PRO????? "I hope polaris will compete" Then skidoo can break the mold again!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't think it is a question as to whether the Pro can compete but rather can the E-tec compete.

It's interesting how the thread starts out "DOO xp VS. Polaris Pro" and later the comparisons are only E-tec vs Pro.

C
Nov 23, 2009
I really don't think it is a question as to whether the Pro can compete but rather can the E-tec compete.

It's interesting how the thread starts out "DOO xp VS. Polaris Pro" and later the comparisons are only E-tec vs Pro.

:face-icon-small-con

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
close this thread now! Who cares what sled beats what, it's all about the rider anyways.

What if it's the same rider on both sleds?? (Not at the same time obviously)

I was very impressed with the 2011 RMK I rode this week in IP. Have never ridden an Etec to compare though..

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
last time i drove a pro, with in the first 1/8 mile, i new it was lacking power, compared to etec, and the bars on the thing take some getting use to

polaris came a long ways since last year, but its not a contender against the etec yet, they need to find reliabity and hp, compared to the others, then i will think of buying one

Premium Features