• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800R Cranks

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
I wonder why there is a waiting list for a new engine now. A few years ago I remember them being a month and a half back ordered. There is a big problem and you're taking a blind eye if you refuse to notice it. We also put on about a lot of miles on ours. Not one of them has made it over 2000 miles.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Well I have an 05 ski-doo 800 that has taken the crank out of twice and a set of pistons once not to mention countless numbes of belts. its more than just internet hype is a real issue I know 4 other guys who ride around my area that had ski-doo 800 motors go down THIS WEEKEND theres somthing wrong here And this is the last ski-doo 800 I will buy until this problem is resolved

Rev section is out the door down the hall and to the right, or left can't remember.:face-icon-small-hap

JROD, what do you want us that have no issues do? Go buy a heavy Yammi 4-stoke, Poo, or Cat that you have to put another 5,000.00 + just to keep up with the stock XP's?:face-icon-small-ton Just kidding

Last edited:
J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Hang on to that thing! It's one of those rare finds! You are right though. Stock for stock you can't beat an XP for performance in my opinion but yes, I wouldn't own anything else w/o a whistle.

S
Oct 15, 2008
just saying that they have similar bottom ends and they still have the same bearing and piston issue you wate you day is comming Im just saying

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I am not an internet whiner but I will share that my 2008 was 2.5 times the allowable crank run out spec at only 800 miles on the motor. Guess what? BRP knows it is a known issue and agreed to warranty the crank to the newer 2009 version eventhough it had not totally failed and locked the motor up yet. Rotax has had a problem with crank specs for many years so it is no surprise. They have had the same issues on Sea Doo watercraft as well. Every brand has its issues and since there are many more ski-doo's sold than any other sled brand you will see more things posted about them when something goes wrong.

It's a numbers game and for every person that has one that is perfect there are many others who have issues. It is not like people are bashing the product without the facts. I love my sled so I am not going to switch brands, just stating my experience. Now if BRP would not have warrantied my engine I would have a much more jaded outlook on them.

S

sonday_2

Feb 2, 2008
Kotlik
The 03 Blair Morgan was the far best sled i've had was gettin 120+ miles on one tank full. 10k+ miles b4 it gave up.. and striped down. Alot of starter recoil problems thou.about 50-55 mile run made it in about 30 minutes. Boy was i bookin it, had the HPS can, wolf pack reeds, reed spacers, electric start.

S

sonday_2

Feb 2, 2008
Kotlik
something like that didn't focus on speedo just the trail, gf freaked out lol, she was in a near by place and her sister brought her to the airport and i gotten ready and i pass by her will she was waitin for the cessna 207 which was landing and from there i start going full throddle and about 5 minutes out i seen a plane flew over and landed i went to the airport at my place and she was still sittin in the plane waitin to get out. freak the Sh@t out of her panties LOL.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
something like that didn't focus on speedo just the trail, gf freaked out lol, she was in a near by place and her sister brought her to the airport and i gotten ready and i pass by her will she was waitin for the cessna 207 which was landing and from there i start going full throddle and about 5 minutes out i seen a plane flew over and landed i went to the airport at my place and she was still sittin in the plane waitin to get out. freak the Sh@t out of her panties LOL.

ummm yeah what he said.....:hail:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

Wowww. Dude have another hit from the bong ! Thats some funny chit right there. :face-icon-small-dis

T
Nov 27, 2007
Black Hills
Hopeing to get back on subject of 800R cranks. I sent my 08 crank to Falicon to have it balanced. And those guys where amazed at how far out of balance it was. It took four slugs of 3/4" heavy metal to get it to balance. The motor is very smooth now.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Hopeing to get back on subject of 800R cranks. I sent my 08 crank to Falicon to have it balanced. And those guys where amazed at how far out of balance it was. It took four slugs of 3/4" heavy metal to get it to balance. The motor is very smooth now.

All my Cranks are lightened two pounds. Balanced/ Trued and welded. 1000 miles and .005

Premium Features