• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800R Cranks

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
This is what Dynamo Joe had to say over on Dootalk.

"There is a machine shop in the city here, R&R machine has a guy full time on 2-stroke crankshafts.
Says that the brp 800 and 800 poo cranks are pretty much neck and neck for bearing failures for the last 4~5 years, stubs out of limit on deflection - seems to go in phases where poo does worse then cat, then cat does worse than poos but brp cranks is his steady business."

This will also be part of the problem of wearing out clutch parts on these things as fast as we do.

Could that have something to doo with the fact that Doo outsells each of those ever since the REV came out?

That guy with NO belt problems is me. I have over 2000 hard mountain miles and have yet to buy a belt. And trust me, I am far from easy on them. NO venting, No alignment. I will say, though, I've had a DJ clutch kit since new.

I have only on my third (maybe 4th?) belt on my '02 151 800. One of which was shredded from pulling a dead sled 80 miles out of the bush. (actually - it didn't last that long and I am proly still on the belt that DID finish the job. ... after I slowed down...) Not sure on milage - seems like around 7500 klicks?

BRP hasn't fixed this issue since 2001 ! Nothing like selling your customers a $1000 dollar crank, to start after 1-2 years of riding. Very poor reliability ! But the brand loyalists just keep handing over their hard earned money for this junk !

I have had bearings die on my cranks, but not the crank itself. ???

And besides - who's shuckin' out a grand for a new crank? I don't recall if they were $400 or $700 with core exchange from Doo. ???

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Most of these cranks are out of spec right from the factory. Have you dialed yours ? Its probably toast and you don't even know it, LOL !

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Nothing lasts forever, get over it and mooooooove on. If you want a perfect engine build it yourself cause nothing that comes off of an assembly line is going to be flawless. Cheers

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Whiners

It's funny how its always the whiners that post. I believe this is how "internet hype" is generated. The problem sleds are a minority. Stuff like this makes me laugh.

I'll just post this on behalf of my four buddies that are not whiners ok. 5 new XP 800r 146 Summit sleds purchased in our little group of riders in 2007-'08 season. All were belt eaters, all had heated grip failures, 2 had y-pipe bolts come loose,3 had drive shaft failures,2X models had gauge pods that had to be changed out, they all needed extensive clutching help and here's the kicker....3 out of 5 had crank failures. That's 60% failure of cranks in our group. We've all had DOO's most of our lives and that's going back to '67 Olympics(sleds) and on up to the Rev chassis but so far not one of us has replaced the '08 Xp with another Doo. This is no more about internet hype than was the '09 Polaris 800 engine. Get your head out and look around. The Rotax 800r engine has some serious issues to address and for the sake of the current owners and resale value of their sleds, I hope BRP steps up and fixes them properly.

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
4 people in my group alone this year has lost their doo cranks including myself all within the same month. One guys 07 is on it's 5th engine in 4000 miles and 4th primary clutch. Mine cracked the weight between the crank pin and the rod pin and let it turn out of phase. Bearings looked great. Always ran Klotz synthetic. It had a P-85 on it for the last two years with the same belt for probably 3000 miles. Yeah, we all ride pretty hard but thats what they're built for. We pulled apart a brand new XP 800R and the crank was out 11 thousandths!!! There is no excuse for that. I liked my Ski-Doo chassis but I jumped ship after they won't fix the problems they've had for years. A warranty doesn't get my sled out of the bottom of a bowl in the middle of nowhere when my crank takes a crap.

C
Nov 23, 2009
Again. It's only the people with problems posting. The ratio of bad motors is VERY small compared to the strong. For a quick idea, check the polls on Dootalk. It's the same in both the mountain and trail forums. The ratio of problem free sleds GREATLY out numbers the junk. I guess I shouldn't have refered to them as whiners, they are, just venting. But so am I. "Internet Hype", my friends, is here to stay. You see the same crap in the Chev/Ford/Dodge forums. Too many people posting their opinions, and too many uneducated individuals believing them.

K

kobylka18

Oct 20, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Again. It's only the people with problems posting. The ratio of bad motors is VERY small compared to the strong. For a quick idea, check the polls on Dootalk. It's the same in both the mountain and trail forums. The ratio of problem free sleds GREATLY out numbers the junk. I guess I shouldn't have refered to them as whiners, they are, just venting. But so am I. "Internet Hype", my friends, is here to stay. You see the same crap in the Chev/Ford/Dodge forums. Too many people posting their opinions, and too many uneducated individuals believing them.

This is like how I will not buy a Toyota, Damn floor mats get in the way on a few models, so all must be bad.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

Keep fawkin dreaming ! Internet hype is something made up by companies like BRP to keep dorks like you buying their crap. It's only a matter of time before your on this forum crying the blues because your hunk of junk crank chits itself ! I like that, a small amount of people having problems LOL, that's why BRP is out of short blocks. How long has this
motor been on the snow ??????

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com

OK - but who's on Doo-Talk - and who's on SW?

Trail riders don't see nowhere near the troubles as a mtn rider. The off-trail riders are on the hammer for much longer times. A good hill can be a full minute of full bore w/o ever letting up. A trail rider won't see WOT for more than about 5 seconds and the trees are going to be blurring.

I know there are mtn riders on DOOTALK, but if your running th numbers ....

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta

Too many people posting thier opinions?
Too many UNEDUCATED individuals beliving them?
That must be the problem with the 800r motor I guess you have it all figured out.

Are you mad cause your doo sales #s are going down? You must be a brp salesman.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Ok Boy's, have 4 (including me) people in our riding group that ride 08-09 XP's out every weekend. No problems what so ever. Checked my runout, it is 4 thou out.

Just telling it like it is, if some are having problems must be hit or miss. But definatly not a problem all of us are dealing with. Cheers

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Keep fawkin dreaming ! Internet hype is something made up by companies like BRP to keep dorks like you buying their crap. It's only a matter of time before your on this forum crying the blues because your hunk of junk crank chits itself ! I like that, a small amount of people having problems LOL, that's why BRP is out of short blocks. How long has this
motor been on the snow ??????

And what , pray tell , it the oh so reliable , never breaks always runs perfect machine that god blessed you with there sunshine??????????

C
Nov 23, 2009
Nothing like beating a dead horse, boys... Good luck in all your future endeavors! I'll just keep enjoying mine.

C
Nov 23, 2009
Too many people posting thier opinions?
Too many UNEDUCATED individuals beliving them?
That must be the problem with the 800r motor I guess you have it all figured out.

Are you mad cause your doo sales #s are going down? You must be a brp salesman.
Just an EDUCATED steel fabricator with a passion for sleds... no matter what brand. By the way, do you have spell check?

S
Oct 15, 2008
Well I have an 05 ski-doo 800 that has taken the crank out of twice and a set of pistons once not to mention countless numbes of belts. its more than just internet hype is a real issue I know 4 other guys who ride around my area that had ski-doo 800 motors go down THIS WEEKEND theres somthing wrong here And this is the last ski-doo 800 I will buy until this problem is resolved

Premium Features