• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP High Flow Air Kit

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I too am confounded by the positive comments about the SLP, had they not made the 1/8 depression(fabric below plastic lip) for the snow to collect and melt, it would have a chance to work, as the snow would woosh over and slide off rather than get sucked down by airflow and melt/ice, instead the snow gets sucked down into the depression! Stupid design

I am going to get some filter material and hot glue it across the top of the SLP to see if eliminating the depression will help, as I have already mangled my airbox installing the damned thing.

The timbersled has very mixed reviews, do alot more research before committing to it. MO

The flange protectors(stock inlet) can prevent snow buildup from coming down, but create the exact opposite problem when carving deep left hand turns as it then acts as a scoop and allows the snow to pack up under it. Some work better than others depending on the angle at which they attach, which will affect how much snow it allows to pack under it.

H
Nov 29, 2007
Littleton,Colorado
umm if i were you ide call your engine builder that made your 860 and ask him what he would use. surely hes tested to see which one works best with his setup.

let us know what he recommends =)

He used a Timbersled intake last year,he thought it worked well,never tried the SLP,plus they did not have the powder valves last year,i have also heard mixed reviews on the Timbersled also,they are just pods,and tend to take in too much engine heat.But my panels are vented to the max.

P
Dec 4, 2008
i put one slp 2"vent in the panel by the shock and four 2" on the back to remove the warm air the same on the other side and two on the back side of the air box gas tank side,and cut the spring in the valve under the hood to make it open better worked for me befor the sled was choking out in deep snow with snow on the intake vent.put the o9 update in and never looked back.:beer;:beer;

C
Dec 3, 2007
Waconia MN
i agree that the slp kit seemed a little cheap but it does help my sled worked much better with it than with out and if you want to talk about stupid design how about ski-doo for making a ''mountain sled'' that doent run in deep snow hopefuly mine works this year or iam jumpin ship i have the 09 update ,slp intake, and flow rites in the back of the lower air box well see :confused:

C
Nov 23, 2009
099.jpg

100.JPG

097-1.jpg

The original 08 filter works well. The reason it clogged and iced up was because of the warm air coming from under the hood. All you need to do is put weather stripping between the hood and along the airbox edge above the screen. If you look at it stock, there's a big gap within that space that releases alot of hot air. Do this and it will make a huge difference. Mine rarely clogs up, and I ride in bottomless pow. I also installed the slp for the extra air flow. I made some custom wind deflectors that work very well to deflect snow. I've got a great set up.

Cfi thats the same setup i have on my 09 except the defector. SPL intake, 08 stock intake screen. Rode all last year every weekend without any problems. I find it hard to believe people are having this problem so early in the year. I ride all around Donnelly ID. There isn't enough snow right now to be having that problem. Brundage, West Mt., or the trinities. Sounds like something else is the issue. If there is deep pow in the area it's a huge secret, and I want to know about it.:D

Last edited:

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
i agree that the slp kit seemed a little cheap but it does help my sled worked much better with it than with out and if you want to talk about stupid design how about ski-doo for making a ''mountain sled'' that doent run in deep snow hopefuly mine works this year or iam jumpin ship i have the 09 update ,slp intake, and flow rites in the back of the lower air box well see :confused:

Be careful not to let too much extra air in. There is a fine line between enough to help and too much. Too much and you will lose HP and performance.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
nugget- I use the 2" rubber mount flow rites in the back of the air box as for the SLP air intake (havent installed one) "try" flipping the screen..not sure if it "looks" ok on the back side...but at least you wont have the recess to collect snow...BJ

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
John

Did you relocate the sensors to the carb/airbox? If not, it seems they would be trying to adjust when they have no airflow across them?

Flipping the screen would be an option(appearance would not be great though), I have decided to find some 1" thick double sided adhesive foam tape(preferably breathable) to lay around the top of the slp(flat lip) and lay a flat piece of filter material across it to eliminate the depression. If I can find the breathable tape it would provide more surface area to breath and a vertical edge surface less likely to plug up.

I am also going to seal off the area above the stock inlet and see if preventing the heat from escaping there will help keep the stock inlet from melting/freezing.

I have also coated one rear section of the stock inlet with armour all to see if a waterproof slippery coating might help.

Now all I need is some snow to see what works.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
john

did you relocate the sensors to the carb/airbox? If not, it seems they would be trying to adjust when they have no airflow across them?

bj- the sensor is for air temp only...no worries...just dont unplug it:d...

flipping the screen would be an option(appearance would not be great though), i have decided to find some 1" thick double sided adhesive foam tape(preferably breathable) to lay around the top of the slp(flat lip) and lay a flat piece of filter material across it to eliminate the depression. If i can find the breathable tape it would provide more surface area to breath and a vertical edge surface less likely to plug up.

I am also going to seal off the area above the stock inlet and see if preventing the heat from escaping there will help keep the stock inlet from melting/freezing.

I have also coated one rear section of the stock inlet with armour all to see if a waterproof slippery coating might help.

Now all i need is some snow to see what works.

ttt-bj

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
09 intake

I only have alot of experience with my 09', not anyone elses. But the intake setup on mine worked stellar. I was in handlebar deep snow 3 times last year in two different states. Never once had a bog. ever. Completlely stock intake.

And there isn't enough snow in donnelly right now. I just talked to someone that lives "in" warren and goes back and forth to mcall constantly. If you have enough snow to plug up the intake right now you must have found the best snow stash ever. :D cause there isnt any anywhere else right now.

You must have other problems going. DPM solenoid? Bad fuel? Stuck rave? Rave leak?

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Snow was right at 2.5' after the last big snow, and 4' drifts @8500 and above. Now it's half that and like a brick.

S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
nugg,

Sorry your having problems with the design and function of slp's intake. I know you think its a piece of junk, and I personally think it could have been a little better engineered, but, look at the stock design, the one we all paid over 8 G's for, its a TOTAL crap design, at least the SLP kit only cost 70 bucks.

All of that aside...are you certain you dont have other issue as others have suggested? DPM? bad Fuel? checked your plugs? correct jetting for your alt? I only say that because I am one who had bogging issues, put SLP's kit on, and never had any problems again. it worked great for me, I live in the middle of Colorado and see plenty of 3+ pow days, yes it does get snow on it still, but it hasnt caused any bogs on my sled.

one other thing to consider is alot of us are using a vent kit of some kind, to let the hot air out and keep snow from melting and freezing around intake areas, as well as keep clutches cool. I didnt see or not if you happen to be running a vent kit. may help?

I think that the combo of the stock intake and the SLP intake = plenty of air flow. in theory, if the stock intake gets clogged by 50%, and the slp intake gets clogged by 50%, you should still have more flow than with the stock intake alone, unclogged.

I also think alot of what SLP was shooting for was to privide a true "cold air" intake, its easy enough to put flow rights or whatnot in the airbox, but alot of people dont believe in sucking hot air.

all things considered, I cant think of a single place on my sled that is COVERED in snow on a deep pow day, so, the only real options are to either use the cold air kits that are out there, and are probably will get covered with snow at one point or another, or use a kit that will suck warm air from under the body somewhere.

I hope that helps your decision. If you go forward with putting pre filter over the top of the SLP inlet, you shoudl post up some pics, I would be interested in seeing it.

Justin

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Justin

The only time it bogs is when the stock and slp are covered with snow, which is most of the time on a good snow day. Reach out and scrub the snow off the slp and the bog immediately goes away. Trouble is that screen material won't take long to stretch and rip with as much scrubbing as I'm doing, then it will be ride over because it will dump all that snow directly into the intake which will not be pretty.

It's true there are not a lot of places you can put an air intake where the pow won't get to it, but you sure don't place it on a flat plain with a depression to allow the airflow to suck itself full, that's just common sense!

The location for the intake would work if they had built a steep plastic part/screen shaped like a wedge, high side inside, low side outside so all the snow would have to slide off and not a lip to allow gravity and suction to do their dirty work.

S
Jan 6, 2002
i'm installing couple flowrites back of airbox..easiest!

question to whom have installed...did you guys cut off the excess material on the backside of the flowrites..or just let it flap in the wind??

M
Nov 27, 2007
I put dog screen material under the fabric on my slp intake and stock 08 intake to prevent tearing. Stock 08 intake was garbage after third ride. This helped the tearing issue but I still got bog. I finally did the lower airbox mod to completely eliminate bog. Now I just need to get in the garage and make a nice vent by my leg to get colder air to this area.

Animal proof screen door material, marine goop, a nice sheet of aluminum for frame and this problem can be fixed. Good luck.

Premium Features