• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who needs to wait for a 2013? Let's build a 2012

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Thanks. In typical fashion (for me anyhow) I can't leave well enough alone, so I've begun the preparation for the new 15 wide 3" track.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Duluth, MN
The chain case mod to do the 2 1/2" extreme is now done as well as the Avid 7 tooth drivers are installed. I now have all of my parts.....I think, so it should go pretty quick with any luck.
Newsledbuild001-2.jpg

Newsledbuild002-2.jpg

Awesome sled!!! What exactly is the chaincase mod you had to do? I just picked up a wadded up 11 and am in the process of tearing down now. Thanks in advance!

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Interesting.. just never seen them before.. is there any reason to run them over just a regular polaris 2 wheel setup?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Interesting.. just never seen them before.. is there any reason to run them over just a regular polaris 2 wheel setup?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

As these wheels bolt together, I would suppose this makes them a bit stronger. Here's pic of mine that I bought, installed on an IceAge axle, to replace the billet wheels I had on my Mtn. Tamer - I removed and installed it on my KMOD skid as well. I think I paid around $50 bucks or so for both wheels from Precision in IF. They are 8" wheels, so you need an offset axle or rails made for running 8" wheels.
100_0324.jpg

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Chain case tensioner roller

Just a note; you may want to opt for the race sled tensioner, rather than the plastic base it is still aluminum. I've rescued way too many sleds up here in the AK because of that damn plastic in the case. When it is cold and you brake hard it shatters and you are left with a soft spot in your drivetrain. So much so I carry a spare race tensioner in my tool bag for those who haven't learned the lesson yet.

Last edited:
E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Another nice build.. The wrap choice looks great, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the suspension and other mods when winter comes around.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I can tell you that within 5 miles of the truck I was already sold on the Raptors. The issues of Polaris lacking in the shock department are a fleeting memory. No matter what brand you ride, if you can manage, call Kevin at KMOD and tell him you need some of these. You won't be disappointed.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Loving the tunnel wrap! Although I 'm curious how it effects the cooling? Most wrap kits I've seen only do the tunnel sides and leave the coolers open.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
you about ready to go run it through a bunch of brush and branches?

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
First ride of the season out of the way. I wanted to just verify that my clutching was good since last year when I took it for the maiden voyage, it was wet heavy spring snow and I was under taching. It's spot on and runs pretty darn good. I absolutley LOVE the suspension and can't wait to put it through it's paces as the year goes on.

photo.jpg

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
So as an update, I can now verify (first hand) that a 3" lug track WILL fit on the 11/12 Pro with just the chaincase mod and a set of 7 tooth drivers. The 3" track did loose some track speed, but the gain in traction was HUGE. I'm looking forward to better snow conditions and turning up the boost to see just what this thing will do.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
With over 300 miles on the sled now and my only issue being a weight adjustment on the MDS weights when I switched to the 3" track and having a KOSO egt probe crap out on me, I can honestly say that this is the most fun to ride of any sled I've built or been on. The clutching set up is spot on and works really well in the trees and depending on snow bounces from 8250-8300 on the top. The KMOD and Raptors are an amazing combonation and are a quick easy adjustment for terain changes. The motor makes nowhere near the power that my Twisted M1000 did, but that's not what I was after this time around. It good power that's fun and easy to manage. I did find that the BD box takes a little getting use to and that I need to take advantage of having a few different maps so that I can load one with a "trail map" that is fatter going up and back down the trail so it doesn't get so warm in the mid range. So, after putting some miles on, top three mods for this build
1~ KMOD/Raptors without a doubt
2~ B&M Fab boards, super clean all the time and awesome traction no matter where you stand
3~ Skinz seat. I haven't ridden a '13 yet so I can't compare, but I don't even notice that the seat is there.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Newsledbuild001-2.jpg

i really wish i would have saw this pic a half hour ago, i just bought a new case thinking it was un weldable magnesium!!

Josh, even the magnesium and the al-mag parts are weld able. You just have to keep the oxygen away so that it does not combust. Standard TIG torch setup works fine.

F

freeflorider

Mar 29, 2010
In the koots...bc
It's a rap

That is one of the cleanest raps I've seen, I really like the carbon look. Thats crazy how they applyed it to the tank. Like to know a rough cost of a full rap or should I contact expectalot directly.
I've had full raps done in Canada here there running $700 +or -.
Great build and I'm sure it will ride just as good as it looks...cheers

Premium Features