• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What brand for 2013?

What brand for 2013?

• 2013 Ski Doo

Votes: 229 29.7%
  • 2013 Polaris

Votes: 293 38.0%
  • 2013 Arctic Cat

Votes: 46 6.0%
  • Ill keep my current sled

Votes: 152 19.7%
  • Need to demo ride first

Votes: 52 6.7%

• Total voters
T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
last year doo, this year pro rmk, next year i might try the proclimb. i used to be diehard doo, but this year decided to open up my eyes and try something different, and i have been very happy. there are guys who are always going to be loyalist. my only problem with that is you will never experience what someone else has to offer, you will always be okay with what doo, poo, cat or yami puts out. the same has held true for me in the truck market. i have had chevy, ford, nissan and now a dodge. my chevy was great, no real issues, ford was eh, some issues. nissan was a pile of junk, replaced both diffs, driveshafts, crapy interior etc.. dodge is still to new, could be a pile of crap as well, only time will tell. i guess what i'm trying to say is that people need to get out and try new things, you will never know what you are missing if you keep a narrow mind.

just an example, rode a buddys 06 switchback and could not stand the steering compared to my rev's and xp. hoped on the 11 rmk and didn't notice the same steering. bought the 12 rmk and last weekend rode my bcx and wow now i know why polaris always gets a better front suspension/steering review. ask me the same question last year and i would have told you that you were crazy and in fact i did tell my buddy who has rode polaris since 07 that he was crazy when he said the doo front end was twitchy.

Last edited:

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
Totally agree with not being brand loyal.

I started out on Polaris, thought it was awesome.

Switched to a Cat, very happy with the improvements.

Now going to Doo, can't wait! Rider forward works sooo much better.

When the XMs need replacing, I will be looking at all manufacturers to determine which best suits me.

E

elimn8r475

Jan 5, 2010
fargo, nd
Yes, but those superchargers have 3 or more wheels to keep the belt tensioned and on track. Take a long look at the design. It leaves a door to be opened for slippage. You show me anywhere where a 2 wheel setup works when it's under high stress, massive load (supercharger) or the constant ups and downs with the 2 stroke application. and by that I mean it's at 4000 rpm, up to 8300 rpm, back down back up, back down, back up. See what I'm trying to say? And I'd also bet that those supercharger belts get ran for one race day only, if that. Then they are scrapped.

im sorry but crower has been running a camshaft belt frive for years with amazingly high amounts of spring pressure without a tensioner and there belt is way smaller, and the guys running superchargers are using gates poly chains and have to use a tensioner because the belt is longer and when the motor gets warmer the blower snout flexes away from the crankshaft centerline.

Juggs

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
how much to change the gears & belt on this new belt drive ? and what is available? i like to tinker and stock gearing does not usually cut it

offtrail

Lifetime Membership
I wonder how many guys that filled this poll out before all of the demo rides of the new 13's were avaliable would change theyre choice? I'm betting doo would creep closer if not be in the lead. Heard of a few guys that own a pro and have demo'd both the 13 pro and 13 doo are going with the doo. It would be interesting to see.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I wonder how many guys that filled this poll out before all of the demo rides of the new 13's were avaliable would change theyre choice? I'm betting doo would creep closer if not be in the lead. Heard of a few guys that own a pro and have demo'd both the 13 pro and 13 doo are going with the doo. It would be interesting to see.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It would be interesting to start a new poll at the end of the season. Either way, Poo and Doo both have great platforms for 2013. I have rode both and both are very equal in the handling department but Doo has the edge in the power plant category.

Last edited:

8emup

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Utah
Well not buying without a demo and failed to sign up in time for the demo. So I'm out I'll wait and see how it does on the snow. Maybe next spring once I have an opportunity:moony: to ride one.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Well, Lord tunderin jesus byes....I havent laughed this hard at a thread in a long time !!!! From sled poll to politics to where in the hell is Canada and Mexico, eh? LMFAO. As the great William Shatner once said (AKA Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise, for those of you who dont know who he is)....I AM CANADIAN !!!!!!!
I ride an 09 summit which I will continue to ride because neither brand has what I want from the factory....a 2 stroke turbo with 220hp+ and warranty....and I will ride my 09 untill that happens. I might drop some $$ on it this summer....but it still isnt 14G.
:canada::usa2: There is no Mexican flag.....soooo......lets all take a siesta!!!

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007

Heard of a few guys that own a doo and have demo'd both and are going with poo;)

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Coulda had an XM...

I was seriously considering two new XM's to replace our aging Arctic Cat M-series (2007 &2008's), but could not find a dealer within reasonable driving distance that was willing to deal - so wifey snowchecked a new ProRMK 155ES (her choice), and I snowchecked a Cat M1100 Turbo Ltd. Both machines with accessories cost less (tax included) then what the doo dealer wanted for a bare bones deal - no extras. The belt drive on the RMK doesn't scare me one bit - it will be reliable. The chaincase on the Cat remains to be seen.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I dont understand why dealers are like that. They say there is no money in the sleds and that the mark up is minimal.....so why not sell the sleds at a great deal and make your money on the parts and accessories....now this dealer is out 2 customers. Rest assured, if I was buying 2 sleds at the same time from the same dealer, it had better be a great deal !!!
I know guys buying xm's and the prices range from high 12's to high 13's....seem there is room to deal.....

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Re: pricing on XM's

Don't get me wrong, I feel that the dealer should make a living, or he won't be a dealer long - have to make money to pay the light bill and eat... but I dealt with a local dealer for 25 years that made a living, offered fair pricing and great service, and ski-doo pulled his franchise as he didn't want to build a new showroom in a town 30 km away with a larger population. He was one of the oldest dealers in Alberta, too, with a client base from B.C. to Saskatchewan. His "replacement" leaves much to be desired, as do a lot of other doo dealers within a 4 hour radius. My polaris dealer is 2 1/2 hrs away from home, my cat dealer 4 hours from home. Worth the drive for the pricing and service reputation in my humble opinion - would've bought from them even if they were a little more money then the locals, as I know I won't wait 2 weeks to get a sled looked at if there is a problem...Edmonton dealers have a 3-4 week waiting list in winter, and could care less if your machinery is running or not from my experience.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
My thoughts exactly, oldfart. We had a dealer in my town that was terrible and my 2001 sled was bought in a small town 2.5 hrs away...the drive was worth the service.

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
Xp?

Just wondering what you have seen the xp do better that your m8 that has you convinced? I am in the same boat down here in Chilliwack, not a fan of the local dealer at all and would likely not buy from them. Thanks for your help, anyone else chime in pleAse. Thanks,

Elliot

I have an M8 but I am pretty sure I am going to be buying the new doo. Not because of brand loyalty, I have no brand loyalty. I ride with mostly doo guys and have another riding group with mostly poo's. I seem to be the black sheep with the AC lol. I have seen what the pro can do and what the xp can do with great riders on them and I havent seen one truly out perform the other both do what they are intended to do and do it well.

That being said I am going with the doo because of our dealers up here I am not a big fan of our Polaris dealer and I refuse to deal with them. I have seen what the xp can do better than my M8 and I dont want a new proclimb, I think they look cool and they have a great engine but I dont like the uncertainty of the sled with court battles going on.

All the sleds have technology in them that the others dont have that everyone wants. They all perform great. I have seen people on 15 year old sleds keeping up with the guys on new sleds down in the flats, granted they cant climb as steep or deep as the new ones but for the people that bitch about the lack of new upgrades or that one sled is better than another go ride an old sled again and be thankful the technology is where it's at on any of the new sleds.

I would be happy to have a new sled of any of the big 3. I am just fortunate enough to be able to pick what I want and I will be happy with whatever I get.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
Just wondering what you have seen the xp do better that your m8 that has you convinced? I am in the same boat down here in Chilliwack, not a fan of the local dealer at all and would likely not buy from them. Thanks for your help, anyone else chime in pleAse. Thanks,

Elliot

In comparison to my m8 the xp just flat out gets on top of the snow better that is why I snowchecked an xm

B
I have had three ski doos over the past 5 years the ZX, REV and 09 XP, the XP had toms suspension all around, team clutching and SLP stage 3 kit, and it still could not keep up with a stock 11 pro. I snow checked a 13 pro this year. I cant believe i jumped from doo, they have been very reliable but I am feed up with the poor handling, I wanted a XM until i found out they weighed more than 50lbs more than my 09.

X
Nov 22, 2009
newmy1 said:
For a poll like this to be in the SkiDoo section and SkiDoo getting killed does not make the future look too bright for SkiDoo.

I will be test riding both before I choose to move from my '12 FreeRide.

I am on my 09 Doo, however I ride with a 13 xm, and a 13 pro. they both do well in the pow pow. when it comes to handling I think.its preference, I think the T-motion is very cool. The horizontal steering on the Poo for me is awkward and uncomfortable. The Poo is lighter, but which feels lighter....? I have ridden both and they both handle incredibly.. I know what your thinking, when you get stuck the Poo is better, first off, don't get stuck and you won't be in such a predicament. Secondly, as stated earlier in this thread, Anybody can get unstuck in the shop.. but when your full of snow its going to be similar for both.. now for the facts, climbing, these sleds are both 163 tracks, and are both stock except an HPS can, for the sake of being descriptive perhaps I should mention the Poo has a sled wrap, and anti stab driver kit. (we all know you climb better with a wrap!) I rode them both, same hill, no track poaching, and same rider. they both went over the top but here is where horsepower can not be replaced. The doo carried over 50 mph track speed the whole way. As in 54-56 with a high of 57. With me, a 170 rider on it. Very impressive. Now for the Poo, from start to finish there was perhaps 1 mph track speed change. It was consistent at 39 Mph the entire way... What a dissapointment after riding the Doo. Both were very rider friendly, but I'm going to have to pick Doo hands down. Non performance wise, I like the doo gauges, and options.. Poo has very little info given through the gauge cluster. Looking back, all sled manufacturers have come incredibly far in the last 5 years. Very impressive to all.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

X
Nov 22, 2009
newmy1 said:
For a poll like this to be in the SkiDoo section and SkiDoo getting killed does not make the future look too bright for SkiDoo.

I will be test riding both before I choose to move from my '12 FreeRide.

I am on my 09 Doo, however I ride with a 13 xm, and a 13 pro. they both do well in the pow pow. when it comes to handling I think.its preference, I think the T-motion is very cool. The horizontal steering on the Poo for me is awkward and uncomfortable. The Poo is lighter, but which feels lighter....? I have ridden both and they both handle incredibly.. I know what your thinking, when you get stuck the Poo is better, first off, don't get stuck and you won't be in such a predicament. Secondly, as stated earlier in this thread, Anybody can get unstuck in the shop.. but when your full of snow its going to be similar for both.. now for the facts, climbing, these sleds are both 163 tracks, and are both stock except an HPS can, for the sake of being descriptive perhaps I should mention the Poo has a sled wrap, and anti stab driver kit. (we all know you climb better with a wrap!) I rode them both, same hill, no track poaching, and same rider. they both went over the top but here is where horsepower can not be replaced. The doo carried over 50 mph track speed the whole way. As in 54-56 with a high of 57. With me, a 170 rider on it. Very impressive. Now for the Poo, from start to finish there was perhaps 1 mph track speed change. It was consistent at 39 Mph the entire way... What a dissapointment after riding the Doo. Both were very rider friendly, but I'm going to have to pick Doo hands down. Non performance wise, I like the doo gauges, and options.. Poo has very little info given through the gauge cluster. Looking back, all sled manufacturers have come incredibly far in the last 5 years. Very impressive to all.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Premium Features