• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PART 2: AV gas in a turbo 2 stroke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Dec 8, 2010
Nothing like the old av gas debate been seeing it for years and nobody ever comes up with a good answer it burns to dry it doesn't have enough octane it has no lead it has too much lead and so on. As far as the lead content of 100LL it has comparable amounts as the premium fuels we used to buy in the 60s the lead is used to increase octane and to lube or cushion the valve seats.
And if you want to get into the quality of the fuel think of it this way would you rather trust your 250 hp D8 to a barrel of race fuel that has been setting in a warehouse for who knows how long or to some fuel that is constantly rotated everyday that is designed to run at 0-30,000 feet turboed or non turboed has great quality control who is going to sue for a fuel caused engine failure you with the 250hp D8 or the families of the passengers on a plane?
don't mix it the quality of the fuel at the pumps is the worst it just takes a little water or just a little to much allky and buy buy piston

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Hi Jay
Just go to the airport they should sell you some 100LL.
If not just come over here to Terrace and get some. I've been running 100 , its a great fuel. The spec sheet I have Calls it 103.5 octane.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've been running straight 100LL (AvGas) for the last 3 years on my turbo Apex pushing 20 lbs of boost with low comp pistons without missing a beat. Av Gas isn't some crazy black magic fuel everyone seems to try to make it. And anyone refering to Av Gas as a "Dry" fuel is a complete idiot. If I was going to run a turbo 2 stroke you can bet I'd run straight 100LL at 10-12 lbs (I ride mostly above 8000 feet) without a second thought. As far as running 12 lbs at 6500 feet? I think you might be pushing the envelope there but I've seen people get away with a lot more than that.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So in other words, AV gas is going to be a lot more consistent and better quality fuel than pump gas.

That's mainly what I'm getting out of this.

So if you're on a pump gas turbo only running 8 psi of boost, AV gas is too much, if you have a race gas turbo, running straight AV gas is probably your best bet.

Time I upgraded to the race gas kit :face-icon-small-dis

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I was running straight avgas and mine would not idle above 8000'. Did 50 to 50 with ethanol 91 and it ran awesome. I also turned up the boost up to 12 pounds and no problems. I think those running the 2010 update low comp head with have idle problems on straight avgas above 8000' because compression is so low now.

ROCKNESTER

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
CHICO, CA
www.boondockersmovie.com
I was cruising through this thread and saw this post regardin the use of Torco Accelerator to raise your octane levels. I was curious how that worked out for you last year? What was your mixture ratio? Oz's to gallons? What's your sled set up? What turbo are you running? What elevation? Any info/ thoughts/ comments would be appreciated.

I tried running 100LL Av gas mixed 60/40 with pump 91 CA 10% ethnol added at 5000' this weekend and ended up with a flashing check engine light. 5 flashes, second pause, 5 flashes... Bad EGT sensor.

I'd really like to hear some stories on running the TORCO ACCELERATOR...

I know this is about 100LL, but I gotta ask:

Your thoughts on Torco Accelerator? I found myself over octaning last year trying to be safe on a TM-1000, 9 pounds, no innercooler. The result was a soft bottom end (I'm working out now, so maybe that will help :face-icon-small-hap). Seriously, I'm thinking of trying torco with Shell 92 premium on this years build....M8 at 10ish pounds to recover my lost bottom end. I'm also leaving on the 2010 head, so I'm really going to ease into fuel changes and boost this year.

Last year's sled, non scientific seat-of-the-pants testing between Sunoco 110 and 100LL....100LL seemed much crisper on the low end, compared to 110. I did have to add a little fuel med and high to keep my numbers in check, compared to 110. Fuel weight difference perhaps?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Mountainhorse, what do you now about distillation curves, and its effect on a fuels performance?

I was amazed at the difference in the curves between VP 110 and Sunoco 110. It was also strange the vast difference between Sunoco 112 and 110

VP 110
10% 147
50% 215
90% 227
E.P. 263

Sunoco 110
10% 147
50% 219
90% 253
E.P. 378

Sunoco 112
10% 143
50% 215
90% 233
E.P. 253

Also, have you ever seen a distillation curve for 100ll? I would love to see one, but cant find one anywhere.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
This fuel thing is new to me, so don't flame me to bad if this is the wrong spot for this.

Im running a 02 edge 700 with 10 lbs of boost. The kit builder said to run straight VP 110. I ride anywhere from 2500 to 7000 ft. How can I determine what ratio of pump to race, or av?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Breeze,

Try this link from the posts above.
http://www.glennoil.com/spec/AvGas.pdf

I believe that the Sunoco 110 End point of "378" is a misprint and shoud read "278" ...I know that is what it reads on the Sunoco website though... It just not match the trend of the curve. I have a problem with the 90% number being accurate as well.

Although it is re-printed in other locations...IMO.. these are not accurate numbers. I'll drop Sunoco a line to see what they have to say.

For AV Gas.. 100LL
90% Evap is about 275 which is significantly higher than 110 race fuel.

AV Gas 100LL
10% 167
50% 221
90% 275
EP 338

For most turbo sled users that are not "throttle jockey's" AV gas will give great det protection with little perceived loss of throttle response. For the other hard core tree-bangers that truly need the throttle response, IMO, and limit their boost to 12 lbs or less... Race 110 would be a better fuel "by the numbers"

IMO... there is no ideal fuel for turbo sleds with reasonable boost levels in the 10psi range... A mix of NON ethanol pump 91 with AV gas at 50/50 ratio would be the closest in my opinion to an affordable "ideal"... with race gas at 40/60 a bit more expensive second option.

I wonder what kind of pricing is available on Sunoco non-oxygenated 260 GTX fuel... It does look like a great non-lead, non-ethanol fuel with good evap numbers at 93 MON.

Sunoco 260 GTX
10% Evaporation 161
50% Evaporation 220
90% Evaporation 228
Final Boiling Point 244

So that we are talking "apples to apples" here... I am using Motor Octane Number (MON)
AV gas approx 104 MON
110 Race Gas approx 106/107 MON
Pump Premium "91" approx 87 MON

There is very good reading in the previous posts of this thread. If you are new to it... IMO... read it from the beginning.

In all 50 states... Race fuel is not legal for use in non racing vehicles (sleds are, for the most part, in that group). IMO... you will see some more "crackdown" on its sale in the near future as well as AV gas to non-aviation users.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is a quote from another forum from 2007 from Rich Rohrich that holds a lot of water for this discussion.

100LL (Blue) Avgas seems to be the most readily available version so I'm assuming that's what we are talking about. 100LL Avgas USUALLY isn’t the best choice but it won't hurt anything.

** For those of you in a hurry, or just sick of me rambling on about this crap skip down to the bottom of the thread to the >>>>>> for a summation.

For those of you still with me, here are some details.

For our purposes Avgas has a couple of problems:
1) The 90% boiling point for 100LL Blue Avgas is set at 275 degrees F, which in an engine that turns over 7000 rpm will likely make less power than a fuel that has it's 90% point lower. Pump gas has similar problems, but most good race gas will have 90% Point MUCH lower. As an example Phillips B32 has a 90% boiling point around 235 degrees F and VP C12 has a 90% boiling point around 220 degrees F.
2) Depending on the refiner 100LL can have fairly high aromatic hydrocarbon content, in the 30% by weight range. This level of aromatics will tend to make the throttle response mushy and flat in applications that see big throttle opening transitions on a regular basis. It's similar to what happens when you dump a lot of Toluene based octane booster in your fuel. Throttle response becomes a distant memory.

3) The vapor pressure and distillation curve of Avgas just doesn't seem right for our purposes. The distillation curve or Volatility curve of a fuel determines to a large degree the warm-up, transitional (on & off) throttle response, and acceleration characteristics of an engine.
Here's the simplified version:
A fuels distillation curve designates the maximum temperatures at which various points between 10% and 90% of the fuel will be evaporated as well as the maximum end point temperature. So for any Engine/Air Temperature combination there is a minimum volatility that is required for proper running. As you probably know gasoline is made up of different hydrocarbons, with different boiling points. By combining these
Hydrocarbons together you get a Distillation/Volatility curve. Some hydrocarbons (light ends) boil off at low temps some at much higher temps. Depending on the intended application, a petrochemist will blend hydrocarbons to get a curve that matches the rpm range, temp, altitude, and acceleration characteristics for the application. The problem with avgas as a race fuel is the fact it is blended for an application where
Acceleration and throttle response is not a high priority. If you think about the average light airplane application, you're talking about a fairly low compression engine that runs in a fairly narrow rpm band, and is rarely called on to provide the type of transitional throttle response that a high rpm, acceleration critical application like motocross does. What's more important to the Avgas designer is controlling mixture strength by eliminating the possibility of vapor lock and icing while making sure that light end hydrocarbon fractions don't boil off too early. The lowered rpm ranges used in these engines allow them to push the boiling point up on the upper end as well. As you can see, by using straight Avgas or by mixing various types of fuel together you are modifying a number of important fuel design parameters. You may hit on a combination that works well, but more likely you'll have an engine that doesn't detonate, but doesn't accelerate very well either. So Avgas is SAFE, but not a very good choice. The high paraffinic hydrocarbon content of 100LL makes a very good base stock if you want to play back yard petrochemist, and I believe this is how some of the smaller race fuel blenders start out. I can tell you from experience that it's a beotch to document and test various changes unless you have a lot of time and patience, so trying to come up with your own Super Fuel is probably more trouble than it is worth.

So it sounds like Avgas is really bad for our purposes, and for the most part it is, but given the sorry state of pump fuel today, Avgas is looking better all the time.

>>>>>>
Here's my short course take on things based on my experience and personal biases, (keep in mind this is pretty generalized)

- In almost every case 100ll Avgas is a better choice than alcohol pump fuels

- If you don't need the additional octane that 100LL provides, then MTBE based pump premium (especially Amoco) will tend to provide better throttle than Avgas assuming you have any jetting skill. If you can't jet you're just wasting your time worrying about any of this stuff on a stock bike.

- Mixing 100LL Avgas with a good race gas designed for your application and rpm range is a reasonable way to save some money.

- Mixing alcohol based pump fuels with ANYTHING in an attempt to make it BETTER is just a chemical circle jerk, and if you're that cheap or that ignorant you deserve the crummy performance and the insurmountable jetting problems that you will invariably be blessed with.

- Milspec Avgas is a different animal entirely, but isn't readily available so we won't worry about it.

- The correct race fuel for your application will outperform ANY of the above, regardless of whether the engine is stock or modified. The more demon tweaks hiding in your engine, the more you have to gain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features