• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Things to look for on a xp

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
I am looking into getting into a new(er) sled this year, coming off a 94 cat 580 136.I am in BC, with my current sled I try riding deep but that sometimes doesnt pan out for me. With a new sled I would like to ride steep and deep...and everything else BC's beautiful back country has to offer. Skill wise I would say I am a noob, but I would hope with a newer riderfwd sled that will change....after all we're not born experts! Anyway I've seen a 08 xp 154 for 6k CAD with 2400 kms locally and usually up from there $$ wise. I don't really want to talk about budget right now as I'm still in the research stage of things but as of right now Id say 7k CAD. I really just want to know how relible and 'noob' friendly these sleds are. And things to look for (compression...etc) Im about 6' and 150lbs give or take a few lbs.

And yes I am looking at all three (not yami) brands, this being a pretty big purchase I want to do my due diligence and research the crap outta what will be best for me. Thanks for your input!

F
Oct 4, 2008
With the xp sleds the newer you can afford the better. I would definitely check compression, the clutching on all the xp's until 2012 was not very good for the steep and deep so consider a good clutch kit. A dj kit on my 08 xp made the long ride in to the Torpy a lot less buzzy and made it climb way better than stock. Since you are pretty new to sleds maybe consider taking any xp that makes it on to your short list in to our local dealer, it may cost you a bit but a knowledgeable mechanics opinion could be very useful. Try not to get caught up in extras, they are nice but the condition of the sled is more important, a shiny lightweight muffler is no good to you if the front end is bent. Used is always " buyer beware", I have purchased used sleds and have had really bad luck with a couple of them, you just never know with used.Good luck

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
The '06 Summit 800 HO Powertek was probably the best motor they built reliability wise.
You'll love it and best of all you have VERY little to do to make it easy to learn on.
The XP is nice and lite but the REV handles great just the way it is.
Just remove the sway bar if it's still in there and put a two wheel lit on the back and you have a very "Flickable" sled!

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
My sled does still have the sway bar what is the best to remove it? I have read online that guys cut them out, i dont really want to take a zip cut to my new to me sled but i will if i have to :eek:hwell:

So to do the 2wheel kit would i have to remove the skid/track?

A
Dec 19, 2011
two wheel kit is a waste of time, it just looks cooler.

06 rev is a very solid sled, If you want to spend money on something that will make a real difference.

Clutch kit from joey (ibackshift.com) or roosterbuilt

if it was my sled:

• Oil injection delete (pretty much free if you are good with tools and have a few simple parts laying around) more reliable, more power, more consistent running
  • clutch kit
  • balance primary (longer crank life)
  • 2007 airbox (06 is restrictive, cheap easy power gain)
  • venting, again pretty much free with a bit of do it yourself ingenuity
  • exhaust can to lose weight. (only go super loud if you dont ride around town much)
  • rip out all the foam and heat shields.
  • cyberdine temp gauge.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
doesnt it rattle around though? I was thinking of using some tie wraps? Maybe keeping it connected for the trail and then unbolting it when i get to the real snow

I will look into a clutch kit, are those tra clickers simple to install? seems to me you just unbolt the old bolt and install the clickers.

do you fellars know how I would go about getting a hold of a coolant neck insert?

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
There are access holes in the plastic so you can slide the bar out.
BRP also makes a quick connect kit. I think it is found on the newer freeride?
It is $70 for the wide front, and I think around $40 for the narrow front?

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
two wheel kit is a waste of time, it just looks cooler.
I disagree as this is Just your opinion. it does make the sled easier to pull over not that its hard to do it stock.
if all you ride is fast roads then this will make the sled a bit more squirrely.

if it was my sled:

• Oil injection delete (pretty much free if you are good with tools and have a few simple parts laying around) more reliable, more power, more consistent running
  • A lot of guys that I ride with all went back to injection and just making sure the injector pump and linkage were adjusted right. Mixing gas is for chainsaws and weed whackers!
  • clutch kit
  • balance primary (longer crank life)
  • 2007 airbox (06 is restrictive, cheap easy power gain)
  • venting, again pretty much free with a bit of do it yourself ingenuity
  • exhaust can to lose weight. (only go super loud if you dont ride around town much)
  • rip out all the foam and heat shields.
  • cyberdine temp gauge.
There are access holes in the plastic so you can slide the bar out.
BRP also makes a quick connect kit. I think it is found on the newer freeride?
There is no quick disconnect for a REV, that didn't start until the XP.
Just take it out!
If you have a skid plate installed you can either remove the plate first to slide the sway bar out or cut the sway bar on one side and slide it out... You won't miss it unless you ONLY ride fast roads.
Without a skid plate you simply raise the front of the sled as high as you can get it and worm the bar out! Easy!

It is $70 for the wide front, and I think around $40 for the narrow front?

In the end, it's your sled... Make changes to it gradually so you know which change did what.

"AR"

Last edited:
A
Dec 19, 2011
i had the 2007 summit 800 144.

I did the inside wheel conversion. didn't notice any difference. And if i did it was because i was looking for it.

oil injection was invented to make sledding more user friendly and the ugly epa happy. It is not what is best for the motor. You get to dump alot of dead weight off the sled while making it more reliable in the process.

Premium Features