• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New tires for my truck?

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I want a tire that is more aggressive than an at. I have had bfg atkos and procomp at and like the snowpacked and ice traction but would like a more aggressive tire like the nitto trail grappler mt but don't want to loose the traction on snow/ice packed roads. Would the mt handle it or not? What about having the mt sipped? Im not stuck on one mt tire yet so give your guys views of what you have run and experienced.

G
Oct 29, 2010
I do not know what you should get, but those BFG A/T KO's have got me out of trouble more that a couple times. And they don't kill me when I am forced to put on highway time. Thumbs up to this tire. Also, Toyo Open Country M/T is a sick tire as well.

H
Nov 8, 2009
Casper, Wy
The Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac is an awesome tire in the snow & ice. It does very well in the mud and you don't have to listen to them going down the highway. I have ran the Toyo MT's and many other tires, the Duratracs are my favorite, especially on the snowpacked roads.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
What kind of truck do you have the good year duratracs on? I have heard on a heavy truck that the sidewalls seem to have a lot of flex almost scary, in the reviews some guys are saying they noticed it and it was to much and got different tires, and some other guys didn't notice it. This was all pretty much on 3/4ton diesels which is what i would be putting them on.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
i used to work at a tire shop look at a mt that has holes so you can either stud them. scyping sucks because the m/t's wear very quick. look at mickey tompson baja atz. i run yoko geolanders an they are a good mileage fairly good winter tire. think in the long run mts suck

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
I got the Duratracs on my 06 dodge 2500 cummins and there awsome, they completly solved my handling and death wobble issues, there quiet on the highway, awsome in the snow and are wearing great. I would recomend these to anyone.:face-icon-small-hap

H
Nov 8, 2009
Casper, Wy
I have ran the Duratracs on a 07 3/4 gmc crew cab short bed duramax and I now have them on a 2010 dodge 3500 crew cab long bed cummins. I run 275/70/18's on both trucks and have never had any problems with sidewall roll or anything. I pull a 38' raptor toy hauler in the summer with no trouble what so ever. I get between 35-40k miles out of the tires and I drive really aggressive. Best tire in my opinion. My last set of toyo MT's were siped, there were worthless on the ice.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I've been a faithful BFG AT KO owner since 1994 and the last set wore so quick that BFG warrantied them for me 1 year to the day. These new ones are as bad as the ones they warrantied so I think I'm done with BFG. They claim they haven't changed anything but SOMETHING had to change. 12 sets and the last 2 sets wore out in 20,000 miles. The only thing that is different is that these are E rated on a 08 Crew HD and I have to run the tire pressure high enough so the stupid idiot lights don't come on. Wish I knew what the issue was because they perform so well.

I've never been a fan of Goodyear because they are soft compound and wear quickly.

My buddy was just here last week and had the DuraTrac GY tires on his Duramax. He was pulling a enclosed 4 place empty in 25-30 winds and said the roll was horrible. Said he would either get use to it or sell them it was that bad.

So............my question to you guys running this tire, what kind of mileage are you getting out of them?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I think these are basically the "new" BFG A/T KO ....

nat020209wranglerduratrac.jpg

I've been running them on my work truck and they've been great, I haven't heard a bad thing about them from anyone who has bought a set either.

I think I'll have a set of those studded for next winter

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I put these cooper zion ltz's(275/55/r20 load range E) on my denali , so far so good..supposed to be a great tire according to the reveiws...we will see how they do over the winter..

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Those tires look great, I've never seen so many studs in one tire!! TonyG

lol, yeah just shy of 700 studs in each tire...have done as many as 1250 per..but its overkill on the road..I drive in some of the nastiest /crappiest roads you would ever dream of..so total traction is a must for me.. these give you the stopping/turning/going traction about the same as wet pavement even when its like a hotmopped ice rink outside...

Premium Features