• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

An open letter to SW admin and all members

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Sometimes the term "Put up, or shut up" is appropriate.

I’ve decided to take the time to offer up a suggestion that I think will go a long way to correcting most of the problems we have been so ‘vocal’ about. I’ve participated in quite a few threads over the past couple months about why and how I believe the site handled the ‘conversion’ poorly. Also, we’ve seen others get ‘banned’ for speaking their mind-if their mind went contrary to the thoughts and feelings of the admin.

So, I decided to put some effort and thought into a sincere suggestion, this is intended to be constructive; not destructive.

Here are the details of my proposal:

1) SW admin needs an attitude change
2) Admit the ‘transition’ was handled poorly
3) Apologize to the membership for handling things poorly
4) Change the structure

Here is how and why:

I’m willing to accept that advertising revenues are down, and costs are up. I live in the real world too. I’ve never had a problem with the idea of a cost to maintain the site. (Yes, I did run a post that questioned the NEED for it, since many other websites are free to the users, because of revenue generated by the advertisers) It does cost money to buy hardware, and hardware must be replaced/updated from time to time. It also cost’s money for the power bill, as well as the salary of the IT folks that make it all ‘work’.

So, now that we have established that it’s OK to charge, how do you go about implementing it? Simple: Be honest. Here is one idea:

“Dear Snowest members. We want to thank you for making SW what it is today, without the members, we would not enjoy the quality of the forum that we do. We at HP/???? Want to continue to facilitate this forum, but due to changes in the economy, we must start to charge a small yearly maintenance fee. The fee will be $12 per year. We accept VISA/MC/Paypal. Thank you for making SW what it is today”

No multi-year discounts. A flat rate of $12/year for everyone. We recognize that new members are valuable as well, and we want to encourage growth of our community. Therefore, when a new member signs up with SW, they will get 30 days free, with the hope that in that 30 day period, they will see the value of the site, and choose to join our community. Now… I could see where your yearly rate is locked when you join (as long as your membership does NOT lapse), so if the future requires a higher rate, you would be locked into what you rate you got when you first signed up.

I would gladly pay $12/per year, but the way this has been handled has been just rotten. And, as you can clearly see, the $12/year, is MORE than the current 3-year rate of $10/year, so at this level, it’s CLEARLY NOT about the $$.

There is a catch that comes with this:
If you read this, and you are thinking “This is a stupid general concept” (not specifics) then you have the wrong attitude, (see suggestion #1). When you are charging members in order to cover the overhead, and they provide the content, you become accountable to them. (Just like our government was framed) You as a moderator, and you as an administrator are SERVING members, not ruling them. If there is extra money when the costs are covered, it can go into a slush fund to purchase better equipment, or charity or promotional purposes. And, with this attitude change comes the open-book accounting policy. There better be a simple accounting page showing the revenues (advertising and membership) and the expenses. Does a particular individuals salary need to be shared? No, but the exact amount of the total of all the labor costs for IT, for utilities, for office supplies, that level of records publication). And new members should be able to view this to see just where the money goes before deciding to join our group. This also clearly shows why a charge is needed. And, if HP wants a 'profit' category, I'm OK with that, as long as it's a reasonable amount. If they are making money off of it, they will protect their asset.

This means that you can’t ban someone for simply having a different opinion than you, or recommending someone visit a different forum or site. Reasons for banishment should be very few: things like profanity or vulgar language, derogatory ethnic or gender comments, that kind of stuff. We’ve watched quite a few of the best contributors leave (or at least stop posting) on the basis of principle.

Here is one example of what I consider a great contributor, and some of his thoughts on the issue. This was copied from a post by AKSnowrider. There are a few more words, but this is what I felt was relevant to my point.
“…There is no reason to bad mouth or be disrespectful to anybody....we all have our own opinions here.. the problem is right now there is no compromise from snowest.. pay and we might later down the road.. actually listen to you.. well for me that’s not good enough...one thing that I have noticed lately ..some who favor what snowest is doing have been going on threads and heckling any post that doesn’t agree with them.. bad enough that if positions were reversed admin would be at the minimum issuing infractions and most likely bannings to those with opposing views if they did such things.. this is wrong when a mod comes on these threads and post after seeing these with a simple.. ok guys ..get along.. that’s not good enough.. every man, woman, and child on these forums deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.. to be able to voice their opinion with out prejudice from anyone.. disagree.. and nicely state your position.. but don’t mistreat people.. there is always two sides to every argument...and for those who say.. if you don’t like it leave...you better hope we all don’t leave...anyone who says what has happened over these last 4 months hasn’t hurt this forum and cost it members is either blind or totally self delusional...and it will continue to happen until a compromise is reached...that is the bottom line.. a compromise must be reached or this is going to continue.. if it continues for much longer...this place is going to loose many more members...I am willing to compromise......are you?...is snowest?...what about your best friends? are they ready to compromise? is snowest worth compromising for? That’s up to each of you personally.. and to the admin of snowest...”

And… He’s right.

We as users appear to recognize that without HP, Snowest the mag, or website would not exist as it is today. They fronted the $ (in some fashion), organized the efforts and opened a forum to people for free access to post and read. I am grateful to them for doing so! But, it doesn’t seem like the administration recognizes the importance of the member contributions. In my opinion, I think the problem is that the HP folks, (and Christopher) don’t seem to grasp that without the members contributing information and content, the site would not be what it was 1 year ago either. If they do recognize it, and feel that way, they have not effectively conveyed that message to the membership as a whole. This is a symbiotic relationship: We both benefited from the relationship. And, now the administration is projecting the attitude that it doesn’t care if their changes run off the same folks that had a huge part in making it great.

If you want to charge us, you’d better show us the respect that our wallet buys. I have not given you my wallet yet, because you have not shown respect to those whose posts have earned them respect. You should be accountable to folks like Ron, RGM, AKSNOWRIDER, Mountainhorse, WinterBrew, and others for your content, and you are not.

I believe in capitalism: The strong will survive, the weak shall fail. And I don’t mind someone making a buck. HP has to feed their families as well. Strong organizations have to be able to adapt to changing environments (or change their environment) and SW may indeed have to charge to keep the site working. But, if you bite the hand that feeds you, you won’t get fed anymore. (if you piss off the ones that bring good content to your site, they will stop bringing good content to your site, and the overall quality and appeal of your site will diminish)

Some have mentioned that there are only a few complainers. Well, if you study human nature throughout history, the majority is always quiet. There is only a small % that gets vocal one way or another. The VAST MAJORITY of the vocal members are crying ‘foul’ with the direction with which the site is headed.

You don’t have to take all of my suggestions or advice. You don’t have to take any of it. It’s still a free country. But you’d better change what you are doing if you still want members in another year.

PE

Last edited:

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
Great post Polar Express. You have expressed both my frustration and what I would like to see change a lot better than I would have. I had been drafting a similar letter but will instead endorse yours.

I sincerely hope that the "new management" will check themselves long enough to read your letter as constructive criticism. I further hope they make some of the changes you suggest, as they seem to be very reasonable.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
That's pretty much how I percieved the reason to go pay....what other reasons were given? I thought it was for the new servers? And they did try the donation process first but that didn't work.
I think this is a GREAT post and very level headed considering all the recent drama, but what other reason was given to go pay?? I guess I never noticed it? :noidea:

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
WOW

What an awesome letter.

I agree with all of your points.

I paid because of my PMs, but I honestly do not believe that I will have to pay again, which is truely sad. This has been my home for over 9 years. The people on here are family to me. And it hurts to think that it will not survive because of this.

As I was reading your letter, I thought of one additional thing. Instead of giving us all these new things and then taking so much away from us, why not have given us the new things with the up front and honest intention that they would be charged for in the future. I would have paid to have the cool extras. But to limit us to 100 PMs without any fore-warning and even worse to limit our reading abilities without fore-warning was wrong. As I said, I would have paid for the extras:
Unlimited PMs versus a 1000 pms
Chat
Shout Window
Premimum Member forums
Expanded abilities to do stuff

I would have even paid a small price to post in the Swap Meet.

But that is not the route that Christopher chose to go with his forums and I am afraid we, including Christopher, will have to pay the long-term consequences.

Thanx again PE.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
What an awesome letter.

I agree with all of your points.

I paid because of my PMs, but I honestly do not believe that I will have to pay again, which is truely sad. This has been my home for over 9 years. The people on here are family to me. And it hurts to think that it will not survive because of this.

As I was reading your letter, I thought of one additional thing. Instead of giving us all these new things and then taking so much away from us, why not have given us the new things with the up front and honest intention that they would be charged for in the future. I would have paid to have the cool extras. But to limit us to 100 PMs without any fore-warning and even worse to limit our reading abilities without fore-warning was wrong.
They stated this was going to happen 3 months ago.... even the limiting posting / reading, the limiting pm's....

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
They stated this was going to happen 3 months ago.... even the limiting posting / reading, the limiting pm's....

A lot has changed in 3 months. I also do not think that they gave specific numbers. When we were forced to read the new letter, I did not notice exact numbers in there either.

I paid, but I do not agree with the way things have been handled and I applaud Polar Express for his awesome letter. I hope it does not get deleted.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I hope it does not get deleted.

I don't think it will be. It is not WHINEY, it is not ATTACKING, it is not BELIGERANT, it is not ONE SIDED. But I doubt he'll get an answer.............. IMO

PE, you did good my agree to disagree buddy! ;)

And for the record, I don't really care about/for the whole pay or not pay... leave or not leave HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPLA that is going on... so don't read into my response as I'm an anti-Christopher nor an anti-leave person. I'm in the middle... I still like this place, a little more now that some of the Elvis' have left the building. :D lol I also like other places too. :D

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
neither was RAYS

I don't think it will be. It is not WHINEY, it is not ATTACKING, it is not BELIGERANT, it is not ONE SIDED. But I doubt he'll get an answer.............. IMO

perfect Brandy

I still cannot figure out why the thread started by one of the best guys on here .RGM was called out by SMOKINDAVE.

a "supermoderator" he attacked Ray about using the site for free advertising.
witch everyone did when snowest was free...why the fug did dave care??? what is his problem??
Ray stated in a perfectly nice manner why he was leaving...

and for dave offering to "Pay" for Rays membership as a big favor...LMAO ...huh it is only 30 bucks

SNOWEST should have left those posts up on here as it was a legitimate discussion

Chris

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA

. :D

You would be surprised how many threads have been deleted almost instantly that were not one sided or whiney. Ones that only had logical business questions have been deleted as noone wanted to truthfully answer them. If it lasted this long it will continue.

I am sure that admin doesnt care that some are venting..they most likely expect the venting to stop and things get back to normal. Sure taking a long time.

Polarexp. had some very good ideas. There were also many of the same that were posted at one time or another by others from the start and no one seemed to be open minded enought to seriously consider them IMHO. unfortunatly once these decisions have been made all the suggestions in the world typically will fall deaf ears. Basically a moot point at this time in the game unfortunatly

I wonder how much all the buttons and whistles are even getting used. No one that I know has used many of them if at all except for the online mygazine.com area. Bt the way Ms Brandy I saw Elvis in McCall, ID at the Frontier, yep pretty sure it was him!

Last edited:
H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
you are kidding i hope

Dave (ruffy)

you have not been on here.long enough....or riddin with enough of the really good peeps that have made this site what it was... sad

A generous offer my azz wow 30 bucks that smokindave said that he was paying for...lmao.....he had some "free" memberships to give out.

if you knew Ray at all and have only halfway followed over the years what he has done for snowest and especially for snowmobiling in general .. then you would know what a dikhed .....dave (smokin) came off as . DAVE (ruffy) YOU HAVE NO CLUE ON THIS AND YOU ARE TALKIN OUT OF YOUR UNINFORMED MOUTH. (get my number from lisas' husband in north bend and we can talk)

WHY DOES IT MATTER WHAT GUYS DID ON HERE TO PROMOTE AND SELL they shouldn't have mods bringing up the past when it was ok then??? wtf

there were many if not all advertising ther stuff or services on here in the past for free.... what the heck does that have to do with the "new snowest"???

Chris

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Dave (ruffy)

you have not been on here.long enough....or riddin with enough of the really good peeps that have made this site what it was... sad

A generous offer my azz wow 30 bucks that smokindave said that he was paying for...lmao.....he had some "free" memberships to give out.

if you knew Ray at all and have only halfway followed over the years what he has done for snowest and especially for snowmobiling in general .. then you would know what a dikhed .....dave (smokin) came off as . DAVE (ruffy) YOU HAVE NO CLUE ON THIS AND YOU ARE TALKIN OUT OF YOUR UNINFORMED MOUTH. (get my number from lisas' husband in north bend and we can talk)

WHY DOES IT MATTER WHAT GUYS DID ON HERE TO PROMOTE AND SELL they shouldn't have mods bringing up the past when it was ok then??? wtf

there were many if not all advertising ther stuff or services on here in the past for free.... what the heck does that have to do with the "new snowest"???

Chris
I don't disagree with you on the generous offer, but it sure seemed that smokindave thought it was.

I do not disagree with RGM and what he has done for snowest. Not at all. His pictures make me sick that I haven't gone up there (amazing area) and I know a bunch of people that go up there and ride / have ridden with him. I have only heard good things about his attitude and willingness to show people around.

I was only trying to point out what it seemed to me what smokindave was feeling and why he responded the way he did. I did not say whether or not I agreed with his response or tact.

Go riding with me on sunday and you can tell me all you want about it... lol

Last edited:
H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
then you should take up walkin instead of ridin

alot of people cant afford 30 richy.

LMAO

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! LMAO

i thought this was a snowmobile site!!!

confused..

does it not take $ 30.00 just to fill the oil tank???

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
ooops

i am mistaken

if the 1.5 gallon oil tank is empty and you are are runnin synthetic

then $60.00

and Dave (ruffy) smoikin was waaaaay outta line.

that is why the thread got taken down.

morals....i would be embarrassed if i was rgm to have smokin as a fellow canadian

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
it was ok then

WHY DOES IT MATTER WHAT GUYS DID ON HERE TO PROMOTE AND SELL they shouldn't have mods bringing up the past when it was ok then???

p:face-icon-small-hap

and yes i have ridin with ruffy a few times....

he may have not figured out who this is!!!

Smokindave.... i guess we will disagree on this.

unfortunnatly this is what i miss most about snowest and why many have left. the ability to go after each other and in the end still be fellow snowesters and snowmobilers. i will forever miss the taunting, poking, and boisterous arguments we used to have...just like this one.. dammit

Last edited:
Premium Features