• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Mountain cat

Jan 22, 2011
utah
I just picked me up a new 2018 mountain cat 153 snowmobile what are some things you guys are changing to help perform better between 6 to 9000 feet elevation the gearing is 19/50 are you changing this or you leaving at stock. Looking to get rid of giant exhaust can was thinkin going GGB?? I am not looking to do any motor work or no turbo just looking at some things I could do to help it do a little better in the deep snow thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you go GGB get the trail can, they are even almost too loud. Most will recommend to get gripper skis.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
As far as a silencers go, it is my opinion Diamond S is the top dog. I have the quiet can and the craftsmanship and quality is great. I had loud cans before and now that I have a quiet one I will be keeping things quiet from now on. On my SO's 6000 is the Speedwerx L2 can, it's too loud for me especially when I have to give a ski tug, but besides the noise it gets the job done and it had held together well.

Last year was the first year I tried aftermarket boards. Unless Cat comes up with something different in the future, I will continue to add aftermarket boards. I went with B&M Fabrications and they are fantastic. Snow evacuates completely and the grip was too good in my case as the traction screws ripped two pairs of pants. When I add them to my 19 I will be going with traction blocks from TKI.

Quite a few people had issues with the rear tunnel section bending, so an aftermarket bumper might be necessary. I had a Rogue Concepts bumper and didn't have any issues with the rear sections.

I would also replace the controls with the stock 19 parts, throttle body and break reservoir/lever. I used the Speedwerx kit this year, and it was nice when it functioned but it didn't work all the time.

For skis I put on a pair of grippers which was my first time using them and I have no complaints. I didn't have any issues with darting or diving.

Many people will tell you just to ride it and that is defiantly an option, but for me, the absolute minimum would be a can and set of grippers.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I forgot to mention, as with all air shocks don't be afraid to change the settings to what works for you, this plays a vital role in the handling of the sled.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Get a can and set up the suspension. Ride the **** out of it.
The only other thing I do is swap the steering to the laydown with a post forwarabd CFR bars. But that is personal preference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

i agree with all of this but I do NOT like the laydown post and as he said personal preference for sure.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Seal the intake before u ingest snow. (By goggle bag)

Gripper skis are a huge improvement! Stock skis suck when u get a crusty layer on top of powder. Like a serious death wobble down hills.

Roll the bar riser forward till it is at 90° or a touch more forward.

Within 500 miles u will need to buy wild child's steering bushings.

If ur not yet aware, don't freak out when u first ride it. There is a rev limiter during the break in.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Seal the intake before u ingest snow. (By goggle bag)

Gripper skis are a huge improvement! Stock skis suck when u get a crusty layer on top of powder. Like a serious death wobble down hills.

Roll the bar riser forward till it is at 90° or a touch more forward.

Within 500 miles u will need to buy wild child's steering bushings.

If ur not yet aware, don't freak out when u first ride it. There is a rev limiter during the break in.

Is the area by the google bag the only place that needs to be sealed up better?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Is the area by the google bag the only place that needs to be sealed up better?
Those r gaping holes but there could be small gaps where the intake plenum halves bolt together. I used black RTV up in the front on the small gaps.

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Mountain cat

These are all great suggestions thank you very very much I'm definitely going to change some stuff on it now for sure. How about gearing?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What's everyone's thoughts on 2018 Mountain Cat the green and black or the early release?
The grey early release is ugly...lol
They also had an early release Mtn Cat.
The early release has ~10hp more than the in season model (according to Dynotech).
Not sure if the flash/update removes that increase?
The early models side panel will rub on the clutches when steep sidehilling, late models have revised panels.
Shocks are good on both models, Mtn Cat has the lockout on the rear, it makes a big difference in steep terrain.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
There were a few times that i had to knock the snow/ice off the switches. I did it with my hand, didn't need a hammer or ice pic... lol

Premium Features