• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ANyone added the estart kit to the 850?

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I have always had both so my dealer ordered me a rope start and gave me the estart kit in a box....biggest isse I see is the bendix goes in behind the recoil as the starter is on the other end of the motor. I have looked at the instructions online but they say nothing about this step...wondering if it just slips in there or does more stuff have to come apart?? Any insight would be great...

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
How much weight does E start add?

Battery is 14 pounds and rest of stuff is like 3-4 pounds if that..earth x lithium is 3.5 pounds..., you wont feel the weight at all with regular battery but if you feel it in your brain then buy an earth x lithium, it is better due to being a powder over a gel lithium. but that part is your choice!!

https://youtu.be/-axaSeFN2X0

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Anyone know which battery to use from earth x? They don't have their website updated for the 850 yet. Would it be the same battery as for the 800 etec which is part #ETX36D?

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone know which battery to use from earth x? They don't have their website updated for the 850 yet. Would it be the same battery as for the 800 etec which is part #ETX36D?

99% sure that is the one... 320cca. Anyone 100%?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
No thank you -- lithium just sucks in the cold and won't crank fast enough. Before you know it you need a new starter we learned that on the snow bikes and yamaha sleds.
Had to kickstart my bike all the time - once hot and charging the start works fine with the lithium battery. So unless you plan to have both pull and E start go with the large battery.
If you have to have both you are probably just as heavy with a Earth X battery than with just a Lead acid battery E start.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
No thank you -- lithium just sucks in the cold and won't crank fast enough. Before you know it you need a new starter we learned that on the snow bikes and yamaha sleds.
Had to kickstart my bike all the time - once hot and charging the start works fine with the lithium battery. So unless you plan to have both pull and E start go with the large battery.
If you have to have both you are probably just as heavy with a Earth X battery than with just a Lead acid battery E start.

although I agree with you on many of the lithium batteries, there are differences, earth x uses powder not a gel and they survive the cold no problem. Lots of guys go small on dirt bikes to and don't get enough battery for what they are starting, you have to use the right battery for sure.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
although I agree with you on many of the lithium batteries, there are differences, earth x uses powder not a gel and they survive the cold no problem. Lots of guys go small on dirt bikes to and don't get enough battery for what they are starting, you have to use the right battery for sure.
Dave, can you explain the powder vs gel in any more detail? Not finding much about that difference online. Also, is Earthx Li-ion, Li-polymer, or Li-Fe ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Yea my earth X days are over...there product is junk. Gave it a fair shot and went thru 2 batteries in a season and a month then they told me to bad to sad...so I have been running a 5 yusa and it works just fine...if its really cold like first start of the day I just yank the rope...my plan is to run the smaller battery by the right foot well after I get a muffler. Found out u have to pull the flywheel to get the bendix in there...which I figured. So next time I will order e start and add the recoil.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Well I ordered the earth x battery with the above part number, sure hope it is as good as you said Norona! These other reviews are concerning me lol This will be my first sled with estart! Kinda feeling like a girl already haha

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
EarthX owner, 36 with 405 CCA has started as cold as -20F in an enclosed trailer (spike it when brutally cold, let it sit for a minute, and then she fires). Don't think the 24 would do that. To me, it wouldn't be a big deal to recoil start at the beginning of the day, but I have a high roof trailer. It's real value is weight, and ability to use it many times a day, especially when it's deep. Chem is LiFePO4. Other points:

1. My original 36 failed last year (0 volts) after not being charged in the off season for about 75 days, replaced under warranty with no issues (one of the easiest and nicest warranty replacements I've ever had, FWIW). But it did fail, and it shouldn't have given the their protection features. After one season, the replacement is still working.

2. Get a Li-on specific battery charger. I use the Optimate, put it on every month now. So far, so good. We'll see...

Premium Features