• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 apex mcx, putting in a 174x2.5 any tips or stuff I should remove?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi guys so I asked a while back if a 2.5 will fit in these sleds and everybody said yep they will, tight fit but will work. Now I have to repair my 2, 2>1 y pipes as they are cracked and leaking. So I took those little shields off them so i can get at the cracked welds. Should i put the shields back on? or leave them off?. one of them did get wacked and peeled back a tad from the STOCK track. So thats just why i wonder if it needs to be removed for clearance?

And then my in tunnel intercooler was being hit i guess by the stock track. However there is no support tab up front near where it exits up by the motor. and it almost got rubbed through so I'm having that welded up with a tab put on so i can get it nice and snug in there.

SO yeah wondering on any tips or anything i should do while its all apart for general repairs. I got my whole exhaust system out right now also so If theres anything i should know, let me know! might save me some time! Thanks :)

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Get some copper exhaust donuts.Cracks are from heat / cool down cycles. Are your af ratios good? Could spend some $ and get a better header or find one from a RX-1. I think they were a better header. And make sure the charge tube isn't wearing on any rivets or sharp edges. I bout an 07 MCX 310 Apex from a guy who sold it because he thought the motor was hurt(didn't bother to tell me). I found that he had drilled through the charge tube when he put in the snaps for the Boss seat :crazy:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Get some copper exhaust donuts.Cracks are from heat / cool down cycles. Are your af ratios good? Could spend some $ and get a better header or find one from a RX-1. I think they were a better header. And make sure the charge tube isn't wearing on any rivets or sharp edges. I bout an 07 MCX 310 Apex from a guy who sold it because he thought the motor was hurt(didn't bother to tell me). I found that he had drilled through the charge tube when he put in the snaps for the Boss seat :crazy:

yep I already got copper exhaust donuts. bought the sled mid season last winter and had enough issues with the damn donuts!. and the cracks... yeah I figured that much eh. but I dont got the $$$ right now for new pipes. I do see some guys starting to make some replacement headers for the sleds So If she makes it through this winter then next winter I'd look at putting a good solid pipe in. I dont have a a/f gauge just a boost gauge. its a MCXpress kit so never cared to put a gauge in. my uncle and a buddy both have the kits and all these years, and like 10k km's its been great to them, Its supposed to be a partial reason why people buy the mcx i hear is because it takes care of it all you dont need to worry?

Should I put those little shields back on the pipe at all? or not bother?

And the charge tube there yeah a few rivets were rubbing on it. It was rubbing bad up where it came through and by the motor almost rubbed right through. So a few things i am fixing right now :)

But for all i know this sled already has the rx1 headers? Any way to tell any differences and such?. The sled already has alot of upgrades done to it so it would not surprise me, But when i got the sled it had a ton of different little problems. guy never took care of it. rivets are all shot which is why i ripped everything out and it had a few boost leaks. old rotted out hoses and stuff. I guess its what i get for the price i paid

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
Apex headers are Ti and Rx1 headers are stainless pre 05. The Rx1 headers are a bit shorter. I may have a good set of Ti Apex headers here from Apex my part out when I built my Nypex. I used Rx headers and extended them a bit for the Nypex. You need to purge weld the Ti headers to do it right but they will crack right away again, basically they're done and you should just get some new ones. The Ti headers don't take the near as well, I've seen them melt and collapse, but they are easy to find.

M5

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Apex headers are Ti and Rx1 headers are stainless pre 05. The Rx1 headers are a bit shorter. I may have a good set of Ti Apex headers here from Apex my part out when I built my Nypex. I used Rx headers and extended them a bit for the Nypex. You need to purge weld the Ti headers to do it right but they will crack right away again, basically they're done and you should just get some new ones. The Ti headers don't take the near as well, I've seen them melt and collapse, but they are easy to find.

M5

yeah I think these are stainless??? I talked to the welder im getting to weld up my intercooler and he told me best way to tell is to take a grinder to it. if its titanium the sparks will be a bright white. If its stainless steel/steel it will be the usual orange type spark. So i hit it with a grinder and it sparks orange everywhere. But here is a picture of them, I'd assume if it was titanium it also would not look so ugly???. And thanks for the offer on the headers off your apex however :), just curious by chance would you happen to have some 8" wheels laying around?

IMG_20131024_185014.jpg

Premium Features