• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 mcx apex gas boiling springtime riding

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
hey guys, so I got this 06 apex a few months ago and had the tank off, I seen the heat shielding/ insulator was coming off and its not in the best shape under there, so I tried to lay around some exhaust wrap a bit, but it would seem that is not working... at all. I had replaced a fuel pump because I thought it had went bad.... Then the same thing occured this weekend, but further investigation my fuel was boiling, and it boiled alot over the course of the day, about 5 times and each time it had to sit for what, 20 minutes before its cool enough for the pump to start sucking fuel again and I could get riding, Usually it would occur when I stopped and sat for a bit mainly, moreso after playing on a hill.

So I need some real/proper insulating stuff for laying under the gas tank/ sticking to it.

Does anybody know what works good? and where I could find some? Thanks!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
never seen that on a mcx kit but its usually not the fuel in the tank getting hot its the fuel in the lines.this stuff on your fuel lines or stainless lines will stop it.
http://www.designengineering.com/ca...line-sleeving/heat-sheath-aluminized-sleeving

hmm, well it could be sort of the lines also, but when i open up my gas tank cap and look in i can see the gas moving around and bubbles, And can hear it bubbling up, i figure since my tanks insulation has kind of went bad its probably that, but perhaps not? could be the lines as you say

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Does it run alright? Might want to check the expansion joints and donuts. Is it bubbling when its running or when the key is off?

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
i have a nytro mcx and it was doing the same thing last year. i as well thought it was fuel pump and changed,didn't fix. mine has a inline filter between fuel pump and tank changed that and i haven't had problem back in 1200 miles now. could be your inline fuel filter is restricting fuel causing the vapor lock?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
no inline filter, unless its in the tank. but it would boil basically if im riding along slow, shut it off wait 3 mins and then it wont go gas starts boiling, or climb a hill, get into boost, create some heat, stop at top, well yeah same thing....

but i found a guy whos willing to for $30 coat my tank in lizard skins, and that stuff is known to be amazing! so i will give that a shot..., it should work :face-icon-small-sho

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Lizard skin should help as long as the tank still fits. Check the filter on fuel pump in the tank. I've had three rear mounts and two front mounts. Never had this problem.

J
Nov 27, 2007
gas

i have had the same thing on my mc apex. i dont think its boiling in the tank i think its the lines over the motor since i could pull the line from the fuel rail and cycle the pump and clear it. my guess when you stop it expands in the line and pushes back into the tank, at low rpm you are probably seeing the the fuel return dumping fuel back to the tank... venting helps julio

Premium Features