• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ProAction Drop Brackets for 16 inch Track

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
I need to find or make some drop brackets for a Yamaha Mtn Viper that has the stock coolers. I have a Nytro XTX skid in it with brackets a buddy and I made out of 1/2" 6061-T6. With the 16 incher, I need to only have 1/8" of material going up inside the tunnel, so need some sort of support that goes to the outside of the running board (around the cooler).

I am open to any input on ways to do this. (I will post pics later)

P

pedak07

Nov 28, 2007
get your self a set of vanamberg drop brackets that will fix the problem, or you can just mod the ones you have, the van amberg's are awesome, but you will have to trim them for the stock coolers

Last edited:

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I need to find or make some drop brackets for a Yamaha Mtn Viper that has the stock coolers. I have a Nytro XTX skid in it with brackets a buddy and I made out of 1/2" 6061-T6. With the 16 incher, I need to only have 1/8" of material going up inside the tunnel, so need some sort of support that goes to the outside of the running board (around the cooler).

I am open to any input on ways to do this. (I will post pics later)

Put a 1/8" peace up in the tunnel then down to the mounting point. Then add a second peace that goes up an inch or so above the mounting point. Then angles 45 degrees out to the out side of the foot rail. So it will miss the cooler. Hope this makes sence.

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
Thanks a bunch for the input . . .

Looks like I need to make something similar to the VE brackets. It doesn't look like they would work as is. How did they machine or bend the lip on the horizontal support bracket to attach to the main drop bracket?
What kind of metal would be best?
  • 7075-T6 is difficult to weld right, but can it be bent in a brake without reversing the hardening treatment?
  • 6061-T6 doesn't seem to be strong enough.
  • 316 Stainless might be okay, but not really as strong as 7075-T6 Aluminum.
  • 15-5,17-4, and 17-7 Stainless would be strong but are way too pricey.
  • No idea which steel to use but it would have to be powder coated anyway so cost would be more than Aluminum.
Of all of these 7075 seems the strongest (if hardened) but can it be worked?

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
Put a 1/8" peace up in the tunnel then down to the mounting point. Then add a second peace that goes up an inch or so above the mounting point. Then angles 45 degrees out to the out side of the foot rail. So it will miss the cooler. Hope this makes sence.

I have seen those style, but don't know what material to use that would allow bending. I would have to get it un-hardened and then harden after bending wouldn't I?

What material do you recommend? Know of any more pics on the web?

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
And here is what I have right now (mounted in front of the stock Mtn Viper mounts) . . .

dec2008 222.jpg

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
What type of metal in 1/8 thickness works best to bend a brace to go the outside of the running board?

Stainless ?

316 ?

Help if you can . . .

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I just put a fabcraft skid in my Apex and made a set of drop brackets just like the timbersled ones. Very easy to make, and very strong. Eric

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
Hey Eric, how have you been?

What material did you make it out of, and what size for the brace that goes under the heat exchanger? Happen to have any pics and/or details on how you made it?

I think this is the best match I have seen so far. Man I need to get this done, so I can get the new 146 x 1.75 Challenger Trail in it.

S
Oct 12, 2010
i'm puttin a 1.75" ripsaw in my short viper, i'm swedish so I use metric and I suppose 1.75 should match our 44mm? with stock skid, just changing my drive sprockets to 8t no-slips so if you are doing it for clearance for the track i dont think u are forced to do it? or is the nytro skid too different so u have to?

Premium Features