• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

$%^&* clutch will not come off

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You need to get a good puller. I have tried the Western Power pullers and they just mushroom and bend. I like the SLP pullers the best.

J

jehay

Mar 15, 2008
camrose, alberta
You need to get a good puller. I have tried the Western Power pullers and they just mushroom and bend. I like the SLP pullers the best.

yah i used the local yamaha dealer puller and broke it opps. then i tryed another one and it pulled the threads off. I was like hanging of the wrench i don't think i can pull harder ?? I heard to use water???

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
find a bolt that threads into the clutch, put some teflon tape on the threads tip the sled on its side put some water into the center hole and screw in the bolt, will pop right off.

or if the puller is messed up on the tip or broke below the threads just cut it down a bit and use it.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I've heard there are good pullers and bad pullers. Mine cost me 60 bucks which I think makes it a good one but anyway it's never failed me. I know you aren't supposed to but an impact on a good puller usually breaks them frree.

M5

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I have had luck tapping on the end of the puller with a hammer while it has pressure on it

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
If you can't hydraulic it off, tighten the bolt and give it a good shot with a hammer on the end of the bolt head, should pop right off. Wear safety glasses

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
Clutch

Tighten your puller as tight as you can (before it breaks). Use a heat gun not a torch on the clutch. it will take a little time but after about 5 min with the gun TAP on the clutch a little with a dead blow hammer. It will come off. Do not put anti-seize on shaft when you put it back on if you don"t want it to fall off. DO NOT BEAT ON THE PULLER OR BOLT TO GET IT OFF...YOU CAN TAP. (KEEP IN MIND YOU ARE BEATING ON THE CRANKSHAFT THAT SPINS AT 8800 RPM.) Just my 02.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Tighten your puller as tight as you can (before it breaks). Use a heat gun not a torch on the clutch. it will take a little time but after about 5 min with the gun TAP on the clutch a little with a dead blow hammer. It will come off. Do not put anti-seize on shaft when you put it back on if you don"t want it to fall off. DO NOT BEAT ON THE PULLER OR BOLT TO GET IT OFF...YOU CAN TAP. (KEEP IN MIND YOU ARE BEATING ON THE CRANKSHAFT THAT SPINS AT 8800 RPM.) Just my 02.

I have put anti-sieze on a lot of cluthces and never had a problem...... yet

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Actually you are beating on a stub shaft that is spinning at 8000 plus rpm (the crank is separate). It's still bearings though, so maybe not the best to smash it.

T
Dec 1, 2007
I had 2 like that. I tried grease/freezing water; hammer...nothing worked. The only thing that did work in both cases was turning the inside shaft red hot with a propane torch while tightening the puller.

J

jehay

Mar 15, 2008
camrose, alberta
I had 2 like that. I tried grease/freezing water; hammer...nothing worked. The only thing that did work in both cases was turning the inside shaft red hot with a propane torch while tightening the puller.

would that not wreck the bearings and seals in the motor??

T

toony

Dec 17, 2007
Killam, Alberta
???????

Whatever way you try.....No torch on the shaft. Heat expands it in the first place....You want to expand the clutch. Heat on the shaft will also damage seals....My bad on the crankshaft remark...It is the stubshaft that the clutch is on.

Premium Features