• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 apex with MPI supercharger any good? How's the chassis in the trees?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I am trying to unload my D8 to replace with a nytro, but got an offer to trade for an 07 apex with MPI SC. I'm not sure that's what I
want. Haven't heard much good about the MPI's. Plus it's an apex, more of a point and shoot than the nytro. My riding consists of a lot of SUPER tight tree riding in the hills. If there is a space wide enough for a sled we try putting it though there. Can an apex do that? I loved my D8 for this kind of thing but want four stroke. Leading me to a nytro. But I don't want to turn down an offer to trade if the apex could hold it's own in technical riding. What's your opinions? Coming from guys who own these? This is the sled. Also anybody know E&S in Fort Sask? Good guys?

2007 apex mountain with 1400km on it this thing is mint. it has Mpi supercharger, under tunnel exhaust, boost gauge gem controller, head shim, and much more, all the work has been done by E&S in fort sask, all updates have been done to the charger and cooler last week. i only baught this sled a few months ago, and have only ridden it twice, this thing has way to much power for me and if you got any questions call my cell at............ and if you would like to verify the work and reliability of this sled call darren boychuck with E&S in fort sask.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I have an apex and love the sled however if you are only riding in the tight trees then I don't think it would be worth it. The sled will wear you out by the end of the day. I love how stable the sled is climbing and feels really good when there is powder, its easy to maneuver. However if its not much powder you will fight the sled in the trees.

Ive never rode a MPI, I have an impulse kit on mine and love it. I know a few guys that had MPI's on their apexes and had problems with them, couldn't get them dialed in for 2 seasons.

I think you are better off to go with a nytro, that will be my next sled for sure.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Thanks. That's kinda what I was expecting to hear, but wanted a few more opinions. I don't only ride the tight trees, but that's where i love to be. It's a challenge. Around here where I ride, in the hills there is about 3 to four feet of snow, but not much of a base, so your on the dirt a lot. I thinking the apex would just be a bit much for this kind of riding... Plus like you said, MPI's tend to give you head aches from what I have been reading of them..

M
Jan 14, 2004
i have an apex and love the sled however if you are only riding in the tight trees then i don't think it would be worth it. The sled will wear you out by the end of the day. I love how stable the sled is climbing and feels really good when there is powder, its easy to maneuver. However if its not much powder you will fight the sled in the trees.

Ive never rode a mpi, i have an impulse kit on mine and love it. I know a few guys that had mpi's on their apexes and had problems with them, couldn't get them dialed in for 2 seasons.

I think you are better off to go with a nytro, that will be my next sled for sure.

x2

m5

B

blackhillsnytro

Nov 22, 2008
Spearfish SD
Ive been on an MPI Apex this year after coming off of a Nytro last year. I can put this Apex anywhere I want. Sometimes not without getting hung up but thats riding right. I think maybe even a little better than the Nytro. Maybe my size helps out, I'm 6'3 220lbs. I have not had a single issue with the MPI product. My fuel controller works great at 6000ft all the way to 11,000. I also have the Prologger on mine, works great. Push a few buttons and ride for the day. The Nytro is a blast of a sled though, depends on the deal you make on either.

snobeel

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2008
I think it depends on you as a rider and your mindset. If you are constantly thinking that it is a big heavy sled, then that is going to be reflected in your ride.

I ride a SC RX1 with pretty much all of the goodies and an apex tunnel and skid. Really it is a carberated apex. I also ride with friends on a turbo'ed apex, SC apex, and SC nytro. We also love to ride in the trees and I am with you the tighter the better. My friends with the apex's are both bigger guys and they toss their sleds around and go some amazing places, but I am only 6ft 200lbs and we are always right there with each other.

Does the weight show up at times? sure, but I would not trade that for reliable hp. The toughest conditions are when the snow is hard. In soft snow, I really don't think that it is much of an issue. My buddy with the SC apex has fought with the gems controller some, but his sled sure seems to work good. The guy with the nytro has really dialed it in and it is an amazing sled. The guy with the turbo seems to struggle a little with his sled in the tight trees, but man that thing rips in the open.

Anyways, I wouldn't be afraid of the apex if the deal was right.

Jack

opel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Harlowton, MT
I ride primarily tight trees and boodock. A trail is to get to the good riding thats it. My Apex has been supercharged since new and has almost 1100 trouble free miles. A riding buddy has an 07 Apex and can put it wherever he wants and it is mostly stock. Last ride out I had more pine needles then snow and had a blast. Bottom line is my last sled was a Nytro.... and if your playing in powder all day long you WILL be tired no matter what sled your on.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I bet all of the SC problems you read about are old posts. Probably some of them were mine. Keep in mind, you have one company doing superchargers, and several doing turbos. Obviously many of the issues were slower to get worked out with the SC. All of these problems were related to installation.

I love to ride my SC Apex in the trees. I have dropped a lot of weight on mine however. I think the Nytro would be better, but if the deal is right I would go for it.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I wouldn't shy away from the Apex. These things are awesome and really don't show their weight as long as the snow is deep enough. It's definitely more of a bear on the setup stuff but the Nytro is even worse on the hard snow.

The S/C kits are pretty much figured out now and are almost bulletproof. Darren @ E and S is pretty much one of the main boosted gurus in Alberta. I already had my S/C installed. I just had him install an RB3, head shim, cam timing, blow off v/v, and get my sled ready to roll. Their work is top notch and the guy can and will answer any questions you've got. You can't beat the instant snap these things put out, awesome addictive. They will lose out out on the big climbs to the turbos but if you are in the trees or trails, they can't be beat. Just don't be afraid to throw your weight around.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Wow a bunch of positive reviews. :) Cool this is good. The deal is pretty good, my sled plus $1500 can. for his. I'm asking $9000 for my D8. I will give him a call and see what we can figure out. What do you need for fuel in these things at 1500'-2500'? That's my main riding area elevation. I'm not sure what kit he has, stage one or two. I'll find out.

I wouldn't shy away from the Apex. These things are awesome and really don't show their weight as long as the snow is deep enough. It's definitely more of a bear on the setup stuff but the Nytro is even worse on the hard snow.

The S/C kits are pretty much figured out now and are almost bulletproof. Darren @ E and S is pretty much one of the main boosted gurus in Alberta. I already had my S/C installed. I just had him install an RB3, head shim, cam timing, blow off v/v, and get my sled ready to roll. Their work is top notch and the guy can and will answer any questions you've got. You can't beat the instant snap these things put out, awesome addictive. They will lose out out on the big climbs to the turbos but if you are in the trees or trails, they can't be beat. Just don't be afraid to throw your weight around.

Very helpful post. Thanks. Thing I'm scared of is our snow really isn't very deep over half the winter. lol I will look into it and see if I can meet up with him to test ride it. I think I would like a shorter track, but that can be done with some work. Serious you know Darren? Awesome very good to hear the sled was built by somebody who knows his stuff. Now after all the positive comments I will look into it farther.

On the topic of installing a shorter track, I would be putting in a 153 or so if I did, can a guy chop the tunnel or are you running into cooler problems then? Does anybody make a shorter after market tunnel for the apex? CR or VE? 15 wide or 16 wide track? Ice age rails and timbersled skid? Or should a guy should leave it? A 162 really is over kill for 90% of my riding.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I don't think a 162 is overkill especially with boost. I used to run a 151 skidoo rev and now have the 162 apex and don't notice the difference when turning, carving or going through trees. Even with my 162 I can't keep the front down if I really gas it. And I feel with the weight of the apex a 162x16 helps it float well.

B

blackhillsnytro

Nov 22, 2008
Spearfish SD
You will run into issues chopping down the stock tunnel. With the coolers runing under the boards, it would be a job to slice them up to shorten. You also have the crossover tube running accross the back. Its just metal though, anything can be done. If you think about it, the 162 is only about 4-5 inches longer in overall skid length than a 153. You will notice a bigger benefit of the longer track, than it being a disadvantage and being too long.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Alrighty then the track stays. :) lol I know a guy with a D8 163, and mine is a 162, with his I can feel it's a bit longer than mine, but it's not that bad. How about the fuel? With a head shim is there any chance of being able to run pump gas at my elevation? Race gas is out of my price range but av gas I could manage. I love this site. :)

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
the apex is a rider sled, more aggresive you are the better it is, and no one can keep up in the steep and deep! especially with boost!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3pct4tA5E

in the pow they are the best balanced sled on the snow!

head shim you can get away with pump fuel at moderate boost levels (12lbs or so) no problems depending on elevation!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Great vid man. How do these things work on the side in a steep hill, just crawling through the trees? One leg beside beside the sled kinda paddling along just creeping through the trees? I do lots of that when we can find a hill. It's rare that we find a nice hill with good snow around here, so when we do, it doesn't matter how tight the trees are, if it's five or six feet we'll try sidehilling through there. lol Very slow but but we will try and put the sled there. Is this a sled you can keep on it's side a super slow speeds crawling along? Very often totally stopping? It's rare that I ride those kind of trees, but we did all day last weekend and it wont be the last time now that we know where it is. lol I know nothing can replace riding the sled to find out, but one ride in a field tells you very little about how it will do on the hills in the trees.

Ok right on, I would be starting off with the boost as low as possible. Lets assume it's a stage two, how low can a guy bring the boost? This is my first time getting into SC's or turbos. Always been really interested, but have no first hand experience with them yet. With a super charger do you have to change the pulley to change boost at all? Or can you drop it with out having to play with pulleys?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I dont know if MPI has pulleys to go very low on a stage 2 since its a diffrent compressor and dont know how low it can actually go and be efficient, on a stage 1 you can run 10 or 5 psi by simply changing pullies from top to bottom and bottom to top. 5 psi is good for pump with zero motor mods. changing pullies is the only way to change boost levels any noticeable amount. RPM determines boost on a supercharger but it takes a good amount of rpm to change boost for just simply "adjusting boost"

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I dont know if MPI has pulleys to go very low on a stage 2 since its a diffrent compressor and dont know how low it can actually go and be efficient, on a stage 1 you can run 10 or 5 psi by simply changing pullies from top to bottom and bottom to top. 5 psi is good for pump with zero motor mods. changing pullies is the only way to change boost levels any noticeable amount. RPM determines boost on a supercharger but it takes a good amount of rpm to change boost for just simply "adjusting boost"

O ok, cool that's good info, thanks. It's ok if a stage two isn't capable of really low boost. I would just try to get it as low as I could with it still be efficient like you said. Till I get used to the power and know what I can handle. My D8 or my dad's 07 attak are the fastest sleds I have been on, so no idea what that kind of power is like. But I know I'm ready for more than my D8 has. It gets boring. :p

B

blackhillsnytro

Nov 22, 2008
Spearfish SD
If you have a few extra bucks laying around you could also go with the Prologger and MPIs bypass valve. With the bypass valve mounted on the intercooler, you can dump boost out. The Prologger uses an electric boost soleniod that runs off of vacumm from the throttle bodies. You set it where you want, you could run 8 pounds one run, then bump it up to 14 the next. Works great.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Alright well I gave him a call. It's got a stage one on it, head shim, and aftermarket head studs, I didn't catch what brand. At 10-12 pounds boost He was saying 270 HP, 10 HP for every pound of boost. Sounded high so I checked and at his current boost #'s he would be closer to about 220. That sounds about right for a stage one kit. Under tunnel exhaust, mountain mod seat, didn't get to talk long so not sure what it has for other mods, like track and suspension, but I'll find out once I see pics I guess.

Premium Features