• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16T-19T MCXpress

Sammy

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
Stony plain, Alberta
Just curious as to those that upgraded to the 19t turbo last year. What were your impressions over the 16t, is it worth the change over the 310 kit. Any problems with it, throttle response, mapping ect and what did it cost?

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Two buddies went to the 19t and they got huge hp gains. throttle response was greatly improved, really smooth.

:beer;

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
I didn't notice much diffrence @ the bottom, but i still would consider the upgrade if boost is over 14.5PSI, 16T bottoms out much earlier.
I don't know if MCX changed their mappings for 19T, someone doing the upgrade better check with MCX.

Sammy

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
Stony plain, Alberta
I didn't notice much diffrence @ the bottom, but i still would consider the upgrade if boost is over 14.5PSI, 16T bottoms out much earlier.
I don't know if MCX changed their mappings for 19T, someone doing the upgrade better check with MCX.

TBird i know you are running the rapid bike and mcx display, i assume you had to change your map when you did the upgrade?
I found at 6500 -7000ft elevation the 16t will not build 17 lbs boost, at least mine won't. But then again mine still is running on the rich side@ 11.0 afr. Maybe the rapid bike should be my first step.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
If you have 11 AFR you know you have enough fuel anyway :).
Above 17lbs you definitivly need more fuel , with an 19T, if you want to build power, bigger injectors in IC or an RB3, i chose the later cause i like to tune :).
Cause 16T bottoms out and cant produce anymore then ~310hp fuel is enough as is.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
TBird i know you are running the rapid bike and mcx display, i assume you had to change your map when you did the upgrade?
I found at 6500 -7000ft elevation the 16t will not build 17 lbs boost, at least mine won't. But then again mine still is running on the rich side@ 11.0 afr. Maybe the rapid bike should be my first step.

The Rapid bike will not help you with the issue you are experiencing.

You have something wrong if you can not get 17 psi out of your 16T. MCXUSA has had theirs to 21 psi. I have had mine to 17psi in Valemount and Mcbride alot (6000-7000 feet). Are you running the MCXpress boost controller or a Manual one. The one that is electronically controlled by the MCX control box never did work right on my sled. I put a hallman on and it was a whole new sled. I can put it at whatever boost I want. Either that or your waste gate rod is set to low from the beginning and it will never see 17psi. If you start at the truck at 12 you should see 14 up high. Crank it up to 14 psi at the truck if you want to see around 16 psi up high if you are running the MCX boost controller.

Sammy

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
Stony plain, Alberta
Washy i have a Hallman pro x with the heavy spring and removed the mcx controller. I can easily see 20 psi at home(2200ft) but struggle depending on weather and conditions to see 17 psi at Valemount or McBride. Right now the biggest issue is my afr. Had to put in an Malpassi Regulator(1:1 rising rate) to bring my rail pressure backdown after upgrading to the high capacity fuel pump. Yamaha sevice manual shows fuel pressure spec @ 36.4 psi. With the new fuel pump it was at 46 psi, which is why i installed the adjustable regulator. It is now set at 38 psi. My afr before installing the regulator was 10.0 and would go off scale of my AEM. At 38 psi it is now at 11.0 -11.2 wfo. Talked to PGY about this and they said they never experienced this problem. Not sure how they expect to install a higher capacity pump with the stock regulator and not see a rise in rail pressre. I am open to ideas.
Thanks

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
I run the same hallman with heavy spring and ceramic ball. You absolutely have to run a regulator if you install the external fuel pump, like you said. My AFR is 11.5 at WOT 16,-17 psi in MCbride. Weird. With my kit (270) it came with a different regulator housing, I had to take the regulator out of the stock fuel pump and installed the stock regulator into the new housing supplied by MCX that sits after the new fuel pump. My fuel pressure shows 38psi at idle. They do run rich at idle. Almost sounds like a boost leak, when my kit was first installed, the hose that goes from the intercooler to the IAC (idle air circuit) was missing the clamp. 1/2 way through my first ride it blew off. The turbo would make 10 psi but struggled to get there. It would build good boost down low but not up high. Almost sounds like the same problem. The sled ran perfect but struggle to make boost. You may have a boost leak. Are you running the intank pump aswell as the external pump?

Sammy

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
Stony plain, Alberta
Washy, should have mentioned i am on a Apex. In tank pump is gone. I have gone through and checked for leaks, part of my regular checks. Thanks for the ideas.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
AHH, I guess that changes things. A buddy just did the 19T upgrade 310 MCX Nytro race kit on his Nytro so my mind was on Nytro. Dam. Sorry

Premium Features