• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need help fresh pow an broken!

M
Oct 25, 2012
Livingston, Mt
my buddy has a 2000 mountain max 700 triple. We are trying to get the primary clutch off of the motor so that we can pull the motor and fix his steering post. We're having trouble taking the primary clutch of the crankshaft. Do the mountain max is primary clutch is come off the same way a skidoo primary clutch can?or does it need a special polar? I was told ski doo primary clutch is you can put water in the end of the crank and thread the primary bolt back in and it will pull the primary off like a hydraulic Factor. The problem is the primary bolt does not have threads that holds it to the crank.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I'm just curious but where did it break? Mine broke at the top and I just fixed it on the sled. I did the truck I had read about where you drive a half inch section of black pipe in there to strengthen it the weld everything back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Oct 25, 2012
Livingston, Mt
it broke right in the sleeve that holds it to the subframe. And busted off right at the end of the rod someone had put in there previously. The ride was only 3 inches or 4 inches down from where you mount the handlebars.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
Do you guys think theirs any way of building one?

I have a puller know but I have had to resort to building one. What I use to do is find a bolt that fits the out side threads. The one you can see at the end of the clutch. Then find a piece of solid round bar that fits inside the clutch. Then cut it so it is long enough to push against the crank shaft end and yet short enough to allow the bolt you found to thread in. Make sure you are short enough on the spacer that the bolt can thread all the way through the clutch threads. You DO NOT want to strip these threads!!!!

I still have and use some of these spacers and bolts for the old comet clutches.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The water hydraulic method does work good to remove a stuborn clutch. You will need a bolt that threads iinto the clutch shaft not the crankshaft. Tip the sled on its side, fill the clutch opening with water. After wraping the bolt threads with ample thread tape, run the bolt through the threads inside the clutch until the clutch pops off. If you have trouble sealing the threads you can fill with water, apply some pressure with the bolt and then leave it outside on a cold night. The next morning the clutch should have already fallen off.

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
If you want to satisfy the farmer in yourself get a piece of 1/2 standard fine redi rod and cut a piece, then hacksaw a slit in the end big enough for a flat screwdriver then thread it into the crank a ways with said screwdriver. Then get a 18mmx 1.5 pitch bolt and thread it into the clutch against redi rod and tighten. It will work but spend the $40-$50 and get the right tools. I wont be held responsible for the first idea.
Shad

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
if you buy one

From what I have found, from talking to Mountain Performance and others, EPI is the only place to still buy a good puller for the Yamaha 2 stroke. It used to be around $40. They are made out of a better steel if I remember right.

erlandsonperformance.com

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
its been many years since I owned one of these sleds but isn't there a removable brace on the left side of the chassis you can unbolt that would allow you to pull the motor with the clutch still attached. Eric

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
its been many years since I owned one of these sleds but isn't there a removable brace on the left side of the chassis you can unbolt that would allow you to pull the motor with the clutch still attached. Eric

Unfurtunatly no, The removable brace is on the pipe side not the clutch side.

Premium Features