• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Avy Pack??

V
Nov 14, 2001
Huron, SD
I am looking into getting an avy backpack. Interested in one that has storage for shovel, probe, a couple bottles of water....I would like one that is light and comfortable. Thought maybe someone is running an end of there year special I could pick one up for a decent price. Let me know where and what to look for please.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've had two BCA Float bags and now I'm running an Ortovox ABS Base 20.

The two BCA Float bags that I had were the Float 32 and the Throttle 22. Both are decent bags and both bags offered enough storage for what I needed to carry. In fact the 32 in my opinion was to big, and that was why I went with the Throttle 22.

I ended up selling the Throttle 22, as I had to send the bottle in twice as it would not hold air. I guess I started looking at it this way.....I'm paying for an insurance policy in a sense and with bottles that were not holding air, I wasn't the most pleased.

I did a bunch of research on the ABS bags and after riding with Dan Adams and talking avy bags, I began looking at the Ortovox ABS bags. I did a little more research and ended up getting the Base 20.

I only have one ride on this pack but I can tell you, I do like it better. It seems to fit me a little nicer and the pack is just a little more comfortable for me. Storage wise, the Ortovox Base 20 is a tick smaller than the Throttle 22 but I can still get what I need in it. Plus you don't over pack and end up with the kitchen sink on your back!!!

On the Ortovox ABS packs you can also completely remove what they call the M.A.S.S. unit, which is actually the air bag system. Now you have a nice regular back pack for any other time of the year.

As far as weight, the Base 20 is slightly heavier then the Throttle 22 but not by much. But, if the pack fits and feels better, that minute extra weight is not noticed, at least for me it wasn't . Hopefully in the near future ABS will offer the carbon fiber bottle in the US. Once they do, the weight will be obviously brought down some more.

The ABS bags are top quality and fit and finish is excellent. They also have a proven track record, which means a lot when considering the whole "insurance policy" aspect of it.

I actually did a review / write up on the Ortovox Base 20, if your looking for pics or more info.

Here's a link,

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392157

Ortovox avy bags,

http://www.ortovox.com/4496--all_avalanche_backpacks.html

I guess, when it comes right down to it, if your going to ride the backcountry, an avy pack is a great additional piece of equipment to keep you safe and able to keep coming back!!! So what ever you buy is better than not having one at all!!

Hope that helps some and if you have any other questions reference any of the bags mentioned, give me a shout.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I am looking into getting an avy backpack. Interested in one that has storage for shovel, probe, a couple bottles of water....I would like one that is light and comfortable. Thought maybe someone is running an end of there year special I could pick one up for a decent price. Let me know where and what to look for please.

Van Zee,

First though, a few things to consider before deciding on a packs. 1. What kind of bag do you want? BCA = compressed air = fillable at any dive shop or compressed air facility. ABS = compressed nitrogen = buy a new cylinder and trigger every time you deploy it, or use the exchange program if a dealer has them in stock. 2. Whatever design and fit is best for you? ABS has two air chambers vs BCA's one. Some people prefer that. Others prefer BCA for the price point and the ease of refills. Really comes down to what points are important to you. We have used both packs quite a bit, and can give real world riding information if you would like. Just let us know if you have any specific questions!

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I have the Snowpulse Highmark Vest, Lots of storage and optional armor for the front. The vest is very comfortable and stays positioned better than a back pack for me. The only down side is a can't seem to dress light enough unless its bitter cold, all that mid section coverage keeps you very warm. I would buy it again but if a vest with more venting comes available I am trading up.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Another vote for one of the Vest styles on the market. They fit so nice and your body carries the weight so much better with a vest then it does with a pack. With a vest it never moves around and you dont even realize your wearing it, thats not the case with most of the packs. Eric

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Big fan of snowpulse here, I like the snowpulse for these reasons.

-air cannister is easy to get refilled which is nice cause I test once a season and also if you snag a branch and set it off you can usually get it refilled for the remainder of your trip.
- snowpulse high mark bags offer trauma protection, one of the leading causes of death in avalanches. The horseshoe shape acts like a massive neckbrace, keeps your head up like a lifejacket and FACING UPWARDS, no other bag, not even the snowpulse vest promotes that body position in an avy.

I've had 2 snowpulse bags and I've tried to convince myself to try another brand but trust the snowpulse the most, ABS bags are at the bottom of my list, nitrogen is a pain and riding buddies with abs say they need to seasonal maintainence on the trigger cause it seizes up.

As for sizing the 20-25l seems to be the best I had a 30l and it was too big and I always seemed to pack it full which got heavy

V
Nov 14, 2001
Huron, SD
Thank you

Thanks for all the replies. I am liking the idea of the Snowpulse Vest. It looks like Wary has closed their doors. Anyone know a dealer or 2 I could call and talk to about this vest and possibly get a couple order?

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
Another vote for the vest style. I also had a BCA Throttle 22 before. The vest feels so much nicer to me, it doesn't move around at all. I found that I was always tightening the shoulder straps on my old one, and even any regular pack that I've worn.

As said before, it does make you a little warmer, not hard to compensate for though, and I wouldn't want to go back.

Premium Features