• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills Conditions #2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Right now conditions are the best it has been in 3 years. You will never get me to declare off trail riding conditions as safe. That would not be prudent on my part, However I would not be afraid to take my personal sleds off trail with the current conditions. You still have to ride smart and expect to bump some stumps if you are riding the trees. Take it slow and be picky on your lines. Trails are in excellent shape, even the traditionally thin trails close to Lead and Deadwood are in relatively good shape. The better snow is still located in the Trailshead- Buckhorn - Spearfish Canyon areas.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Returned home tonight after 2 days on Monday and Tuesday of riding trails.. Its the best I've saw in years!! More on the way too! Meadows were deep and barely tracked.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
2nd time in 29 years of riding in the Hills I was in the right place at the right time

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
4-6 inches of snow last night and today. It is currently snowing hard right now. Snow got a little wet and sticky today. Some reports of rain in Lead and Deadwood. I rode tonight to Terry Peak to drop off a sled for a friend to use. Rode to Dumont, 7a, 5A, 5 and all the way up 5T. Trails in excellent shape. No bare or thin spots anywhere even on 5T. 5T has the best snow I have seen since the trail opened 4 years ago. Temps back down to low teens and single digits so wet sticky snow is gone. Cold tomorrow.

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
Got out here this afternoon and can say it’s about as good as it gets. Still the black hills and if you trench or carve hard you can feel things. Meadows are over the hood. Has not been any wind. 100% satisfied.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
2-3 inches new snow last night and 1-2 this morning here at Hardy Camp. Trails in the Spearfish Canyon area were icy with a couple of inches of fresh on top. Rest of the trials I saw today were in great shape. Off trail is the best it has been for several years. According to the groomers South got a better shot of this last storm. The Blind Park Snotel is at 32 inches up a foot from last week. At home in Hot Springs we got 15 inches from this storm. I guess I will have more shoveling to do when I get home from the weekend for the 3rd week in a row.

D

d dunwoody

Feb 4, 2010
Great snow finally .some places fences are covered off-roading is even good .still have to be careful riding out of big hill is excellent. Forest service road 134 is very icy.

lostinblackhills

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rapid City SD
Cant agree more with everyone that conditions are as good (fun) as they have been in a few years. Should be a great year to introduce people to sledding and have them buy a sled. If they get hit again I cant wait to head back up. Thanks as always to sdsnocop and all the others who share the conditions with us. Always greatly appreciated.

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
little off topic, but what are the rules/laws pertaining snowmobile licensing to riding out of trailshead and ending up going through wyoming on traill and off-trail or down to buckhorn? Are you suppose to have a wyoming non-resident tag as well?

C
Nov 26, 2007
My biannual question: Presidents weekend coming up and going to park my trailer on one of the public lots on Fri pm.
I have parked it before on the lot across from trailshead. The question is, are there any other public lots of any size that you can leave one overnight? The one at savoy is small and the last I knew they didn't encourage leaving one overnight. I haven't been to the hills for a couple years and things change so I thought I would ask.Thanks in advance for any help.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
My biannual question: Presidents weekend coming up and going to park my trailer on one of the public lots on Fri pm.
I have parked it before on the lot across from trailshead. The question is, are there any other public lots of any size that you can leave one overnight? The one at savoy is small and the last I knew they didn't encourage leaving one overnight. I haven't been to the hills for a couple years and things change so I thought I would ask.Thanks in advance for any help.

There is a public lot 1.5 South of Trailshead Lodge you can park overnight.

Premium Features