• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled wont Rev past 3000 rpm. Help please!

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Unloaded the sled last night after riding all weekend without issue. Let it warm up for 5 minutes before moving it. I go to hit the throttle, and the engine bogs out at about exactly 3000 rmps. Starts right back up after 1 pull. Idles fine, and I slowly pressed the throttle and it starts to die/flutters at 3000 rpm. Dies again. Restart it, same thing again, finally I start it up, dont feather the throttle to get moving, bit give it about 1/2 throttle right off that bat and it runs fine. What gives? Didnt spit any codes?

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Mine did the exact same thing last weekend. On the trail we stopped to make sure our group was still together. I didn't even shut off the machine, went to get going again and it wouldn't move. Same 3000rpm problem! I shut it off, looked under the hood and everything appeared normal, so I fired it back up and it ran fine. Later in the day, I got tossed off making a quick turn in deep powder and when I crawled back on and gave it throttle the same thing happened again! I shut it off and restarted it a couple times before it would work again. Rode 2 more days after that with no problems. No codes or anything. I am stumped as well.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I would start checking for wires that have the insulation rubbed thin on them. I had a somewhat similar problem with my m1k last season and it ended up being a wire that had rubbed through, you could barely see were it had rubbed through but I tapped it up and didn't have any issues after that.

If I had to guess I would say that its shorting out a little under a low amp load and runs fine once you put the juice to it.

I am just guessing but these sleds are really sensitive to any wire issues and if they sense anything they go into limp mode.

Hope you figure it out I fought mine for 3 rides before I got pissed and stripped it down.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
wire rubbing

What wire was rubbed through? I noticed at the end of the ride that the rubber and metal bracket that holds the pipe up came off because the three rivets broke. I wonder if I melted some wires. Could this be caused by a melted plug wire maybe?

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
The top of my plug wire is melted a little from the SLP pipe rubbing on it as well. I noticed it after this happen the second time. I wedged some extra heat shielding (header wrap) between the pipe and plug wire and didn't have the problem after that. I would bet it has to do with the melted plug wire for sure now that you have the EXACT same thing.

The Spark Plug cap is AC Part Number 3006-367 (CAP, SPARK PLUG-NGK TB05EMD)

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
spark plug cap

How hard is it to change / is it repairable? I have never pulled a plug wire/cap apart before.

Last edited:
Premium Features