• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 oil Pump sticking

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
with a pair of needle nose pliers you can get under the return spring tail that is on the post in the above pics that has the index mark on it. then pick up spring and wrap tighter around post. I did a couple times and works fine now and still have full rotation of cam arm.

on the xfire only had to remove hood, air box, and sleeve between air box and throttle bodies. easy to reach the return spring with needle nose pliers thru the bulkhead where the sleeve goes.

This was what I did. Fixed it.

Also lengthened the rod two turns while I was in there. Yielded a perfect 49.6:1 ratio.

NOTE: Before lengthening the rod you need to monitor the ratio carefully, as every sled can be different. Then run some pre-mix as a safety precaution while you recheck the ratio after making the change.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This was what I did. Fixed it.

Also lengthened the rod two turns while I was in there. Yielded a perfect 49.6:1 ratio.

NOTE: Before lengthening the rod you need to monitor the ratio carefully, as every sled can be different. Then run some pre-mix as a safety precaution while you recheck the ratio after making the change.

50:1 with an oiler is FAR from perfect.

Because it is not linear in how it oils you will now have areas of the powerband where you are 30:1 and some where you are 70:1, good luck getting it warrantied when it blows.
I think the fact that so many people misunderstand the oiler is a big problem when folks start F'in with it. Just because a bottle of oil says 50:1 doesn't mean that that's what's good for your sled. Also, if you pay attention to testing, oil in higher ratios makes power.

You can run what you want, but under oiling a sled is the last thing I would be looking to do.

C
Nov 17, 2008
08 m8 oil

My 08m8 has been using oil like a 67 merc with bad rings for two years dealer says normal.I call bs. Last spring on a warm ride long pull up hill I fliped the hood open to see where the oil lever was . It was wide open! I have tried every lube known to man on the lever . I have been waiting since may for warranty.Just wanted to know if the extra spring wind idea lowers oil usage?:(

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I had this as one of many items to check on my 09 M8 Sno Pro. I must have hammered the throttle 30 times yet, the oil pump mechanism never stuck once? At that point I thought, now what, do I fix it anyway or do I move on to another project.

I decided to not mess with it since it doesn't appear to stick?

I still would like to diminish my oil usage though. What's the best setting for the oil pump adjustment?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I had this as one of many items to check on my 09 M8 Sno Pro. I must have hammered the throttle 30 times yet, the oil pump mechanism never stuck once? At that point I thought, now what, do I fix it anyway or do I move on to another project.

I decided to not mess with it since it doesn't appear to stick?

I still would like to diminish my oil usage though. What's the best setting for the oil pump adjustment?

bdx oil delete 40:1 all day:D

don't forget there is no way to measure oil at wot (only an average across the board) and now that you have a fuel controller and your adding fuel the question is do you need to turn up your oiler, or was it to fat from the factory.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Good point my friend!

Yes, it was oiling fairly heavily and I wanted to turn it down a notch. I had not thought about adding additional fuel to the equation with the fuel controller. Granted, it doesn't add additional fuel everywhere in the powerband but, turning down the oil probably isn't a good idea at this point.

Now I need an Oil controller!:rolleyes:

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
Good point my friend!

Yes, it was oiling fairly heavily and I wanted to turn it down a notch. I had not thought about adding additional fuel to the equation with the fuel controller. Granted, it doesn't add additional fuel everywhere in the powerband but, turning down the oil probably isn't a good idea at this point.

Now I need an Oil controller!:rolleyes:

Or an oil delete? :)

R

rimshot

Aug 25, 2008
Has anyone pulled there airbox and had oil in by the throttle-bodys. Mine had a big pool of oil. My 09 M1000 has not run right from day one. Took it to the dealer and he said my oil pump was sticking. He said I will get a new oil pump and that AC told him that I should also run 91 oct. at my elv. of 1600 feet. Has anyone heard or seen this.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I still had my cylinders and head off the sled and I saw the base of my engine filling up with oil as I pumped the throttle to see if the oil pump was sticking. So that's apparently what happens when your oil pump sticks. Fortunately, mine seemigly isn't sticking, in my warm shop anyway.

C
Nov 17, 2008
sticking oil pump

The dealer warranty covered my oil pump, still looks like it sticks from new. Dealer said drive it and it will be ok. I am not so confident.

S

sledpiggy

Feb 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread... if it wasn't for this information we wouldn't have checked the oil pump and found that it is sticking. Not sure how we are going to fix this yet but will report back if we find a successful solution... :beer;

M
Nov 26, 2007
Mine was sticking. I tried to zip tie the levers together and didn;t seem like the zip tie would stay on.
I used 2 very small O-rings to hold the levers together.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Haven't had the pump stick but we have had to adjust all 3 of the late model sleds we have. I was more concerned about fouling sparkplugs as 2 of the sleds are 600s and they aren't friendly to an on the trail changing. Just backed up the pump enough to clean the plugs up. In my mind the sled will produce more h-p and perform better when burning cleaner. I was concerned about the linkage after a few times on and off so I placed a machine washer and a throttle rod clip on the linkage for insurance >>>>.

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
oil pump.jpg

OK, this required some dexterity. Thanks to the guys who suggested the o-rings to link the arms together. We cleaned, lubed the pump and it actually worked ok, then we added the o-rings for insurance.

Hope this helps someone else down the road. I used long surgical forceps to install the o-rings.

-Pistonbroke

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
oil pump sticking

My oil pump has been sticking also and I've been weighing the various fixes presented on here. Is it possible that the reason the two levers aren't tied together is for safety. I've never had a look at the guts of a oil pump, but if its possible to break internally and jam up tight the throttle wouldn't be able to return and look out! If you've ever had a throttle cable fray inside it's housing and stick wide open you can really appreciate heading off this potential problem. It was surprising how far I travelled before I hit the kill switch, forunately I was in the open. Consequently I would be hesitant to tie them together except very very lightly. I'll probably go with tightening up the return spring. Sounds like that is working. I don't know what the odds of having an oil pump bind up tight enough to interfere with the operation of the throttle, maybe it couldn't happen, but I'm not going to test it. Just my thoughts on the issue. It's really nice to have acess to this forum. I checked my '09 DD and the offending bearing that alot of people have been finding coming apart and it was doing the same. I caught it in time thanks to this forum, and changed my gear ratio while I was at it. Changing the gears was largely because of posts on here. Sounds like it's going to be a great upgrade.
Thanks

Last edited:
S
Bought a new 09 HCR a few weeks ago. It hasn't seen snow yet but may tomorrow. I checked the oil pump and mine is sticking too. I can see it looking down through the exhaust. If I ease the throttle, it sticks. If I let it go quick, it goes back but still perhaps 1/16th or so of an inch from the lever. I got a long screwdriver and pushed it back right to the lever. If I do the o-ring fix, can I get at it by taking the belly pan off or do I have to get at it from above?

I have to say....this has me rotted. A brand new machine and already an issue. Actually 2 issues. The second one was not enough silicone around the exhaust gasket and y-pipe making it spray oily gunk all over my brand new clean engine when I moved it from my truck to garage when I got it. So I redid the silicone tonight. Anywho, I digress... :face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:
Premium Features