• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Axys-IQR race sled

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
So...it sounds like Polaris has a Plastics "kit" out for this??

Thats a great looking sled... Digging the cool seat as well .

The modular rear is a great idea... I'm sure a lot of IQR owners will be updating if that becomes a production piece.

attachment.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Okay....

So the million dollar question, where do you get the new plastics and what does it cost????????

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I can understand Polaris wanting to tie success on the race track back to what's on the showroom floor but aren't they missing something? Namely the back half of the sled and the pro-ride rear skid? Seems counter intuitive to me to race something that only looks "kinda" like what the consumer can buy and in reality isn't even the same thing.

I'm not bashing on the IQR, I own one and love it. It just seems dumb to make it look like something it is not and is superior to.

The IQR will go down in history as one of if not the most successful race sleds Polaris ever designed. Still going strong for 12 model years!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
AKrider,

I fixed your quote

"The IQR will go down in history as the most successful race sled ever designed, by any manufacture, period."

That said, the IQR is what both the PRO RIDE and AXYS chassis sled are born from. If you compare the critical geometry you would realize that, so to emulate the sleeker AXYS looking plastics onto the tried and true, bullet proof IQR bulkhead just gives the pilots of these sleds that much more of an advantage over the dated and bulbous original IQR plastics as well as their competition. And the change is more than just plastics according to some sources. A more balanced riding position which was a key engineering target for the AXYS chassis. I'm liking the upgrade and I own three IQR's and am hoping to get access to the newer plastics and other upgrades as I deem appropriate for my use.

IMO the new plastics have little to do with marketing the consumer sleds, It is more about making the sled even more aggressive and allowing the pilots to gain body positioning to rail that much harder (by being able to get further forward to gain more traction and lean harder to corner sharper and cleaner). The original plastics actually hinder and limit the pilot from pushing the sled to it's limits.

My $0.02 FWIW

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I agree that the stock plastics do get in the way a bit when you slide forward and when riding aggressively. But if that is their main reason than wasn't the pro-ride body work also more narrow? I don't have an Axys, I only sat on one at the dealer and it seemed like it had a longer hood (like the pro-ride) compared to the snub nose IQR. A longer hood is a detriment in my eyes.

I'm curious if you can even run a head light with the Axys body work since the IQR steering post is already so forward in the chassis? I'd suspect it's further forward than the Axys, particularly when being mounted in the sno-x position.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Got to check out an Axys RMK. Damn is it skinny! The side panels are noticeably more slim than the IQR and Pro models. But, what you gain on the sides you lose in the front because the nose looked quite a bit longer than the stock IQR. Maybe it doesn't dig in when bashing deep whoops? Don't know? But it will certainly do it on the Axys first compared to the stock IQR.

E
Jan 4, 2013
The stub nose on the IQR makes one feel the feeling of being safe. You feel as if no mogul or snow mound, stump etc is going to stop you dead in its tracks. The axys IQR would look a lot better if they shortend the nose more and did not have the hood slant down so much.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
About $1500 will do it if you have a axys hood to cut up , and can do some fabrication!!

My question is how long are these limited production runs going to last if your racing a Stock Sled with a can and calling it Open Mod !!

I had a chance to attend a Pro Level event and decided to stay home after I found out they run 600s with "Just A Can" and call them Open Stock !!

Last edited:
Premium Features