• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real 850 Feedback from you guys!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
My experience with my 850 (not an Axys chassis review):

My first 11 miles were cut short by the bearing problem. Kurt's Polaris and Polaris Industries REALLY did take care of it quickly. They expressed shipped a short block and I didn't miss a weekend on the snow. The dealer reset my break-in timer, so I have to get to over 11 hours to get through break-in.

So moving on...

I put 120 miles on the new motor in two 60 mile rides. Mostly hard running trail miles (so that I could quickly get the 2 hours break-in minimum above 5000rpm).

At 80 miles on the engine, I picked up about 200rpm. Solidly hit 8250 a few times. Bottom end grunt is strong. Mid-range puts a smile on.
I've hopped back and forth on an Axys 800 a couple times and there IS a difference.

I could feel it burbling and loading up a bit when I'm feathering the throttle in the 6000-7000 rpm range. It's definitely rich. I'm fine with that right now.

Miles 60-120.... REALLY waking up and coming to life. That 8250 is not just something I could hit... It gets there and stays there. 7.8 hours on the new engine at 120 miles (131 on chassis).

Dealer called and said turbo is in. It's far enough through break-in to boost it.

BD Sidekick installed and ready to rock. Intercooled. Right now it's at 6lbs of boost at 5000 feet elevation. Running 50/50 (non-eth 91 and 100LL for about a 95 octane rating).
It's still rich and there turbo makes that more pronounced. I had to aggressive feather through the 6500-7200rpm range so it didn't load up. Strategic throttle work...and O M G this 850 loves boost. WOW. It's an animal.

185 miles on chassis now
174 on new motor.
54 on 6lbs boost.

More later....

Scott, any feedback from those in the know about what % of the 850's or how many are having the bearing issue?? I'm sure I'm not the only one worried about dropping in to areas we have no tow out option, a lot of us are going to be nervous until we have an understanding of how large a problem we are dealing with. Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I really don't know any numbers. Only what I read about on the internet. If Polaris wants to address it I haven't heard.
I wish I could answer your question.
I would GUESS if you're past 10-20 miles, you won't have any issues.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy New Year.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I really don't know any numbers. Only what I read about on the internet. If Polaris wants to address it I haven't heard.

I think your right on the money with that statement, getting past your first 20 miles, from what it sounds is the main concern.

When it comes down to it.......ride it and see what happens, because they ALL can break, don't matter what color, what name, what size or how many miles!

I'm more curious once this season is over and we have more input from guys and to truly see real world feedback!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
93.2 miles and 2.8 hrs.
It’s starting to wake up considerably on bottom and mid range.
Lost RPM today, usual drop from Cooke to the Beartooth. Still has 68g weights.
The 3” track still gives up to easy. It folds over.
Front shock calibration seems pretty good. Rear shocks need a revalve.
Definitly handles better than my ‘18.???

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have 15 hours in great conditions in Colorado. Sled's all stock, running 10-64's and 140-330 primary spring riding at 9500'-11000'. I've picked up several hundred rpm since the first ride. Regardless of what any dyno says, this thing runs incredibly well and consistent at 8450, even under load.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
93.2 miles and 2.8 hrs.
It’s starting to wake up considerably on bottom and mid range.
Lost RPM today, usual drop from Cooke to the Beartooth. Still has 68g weights.
The 3” track still gives up to easy. It folds over.
Front shock calibration seems pretty good. Rear shocks need a revalve.
Definitly handles better than my ‘18.???

How much elevation increase at the bear tooth? There are spots in buffalo pass Colorado that gives fuel injection fits.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
How much elevation increase at the bear tooth? There are spots in buffalo pass Colorado that gives fuel injection fits.

It’s not a huge difference, depending where you ride it can be 500’.
The difference, I believe, is in the air.
As you ascend up the mountain you will notice a definite change at Muddy Creek and a major transformation just past the Clay Butte turnoff.

Riding in Cooke you get a more subtle RPM transformation. There are areas in Cooke that are magical. There is a spot around the corner from Daisy that is a 200-300 RPM killer. You can move just a 1/4 mile in either direction and regain RPM. Magical. If you test clutching on this hill, it’s a head scratcher.

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Regardless of what any dyno says, this thing runs incredibly well and consistent at 8450, even under load.

Thing is that the patriot engine doesnt drop all its power after its peak (8150). It still makes quite some power all the way to 8450. If it holds 8450 in light snow and 8150 in heavy/deep powder snow then you are pretty much set :)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Thing is that the patriot engine doesnt drop all its power after its peak (8150). It still makes quite some power all the way to 8450. If it holds 8450 in light snow and 8150 in heavy/deep powder snow then you are pretty much set :)

That's the interesting thing.
When we took our preview ride in February, before the release, they talked about 8400. They had them spinning at 8400.

When the production engines came out early in the fall, the clutching targeted 8150. Dyno videos from independent companies showed peak from 8000-8250, which is a nice flat peak.
I wonder what happened to the 8400.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

The 2 I’ve seen with the center bearing go...both went right between 8-9 hours.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
It’s not a huge difference, depending where you ride it can be 500’.
The difference, I believe, is in the air.
As you ascend up the mountain you will notice a definite change at Muddy Creek and a major transformation just past the Clay Butte turnoff.

Riding in Cooke you get a more subtle RPM transformation. There are areas in Cooke that are magical. There is a spot around the corner from Daisy that is a 200-300 RPM killer. You can move just a 1/4 mile in either direction and regain RPM. Magical. If you test clutching on this hill, it’s a head scratcher.

Thanks for the info. It's amazing how you have ridden there long enough to find these anomalies. The air really plays havoc on a turned carb sled. I have found similar results in an area on buff pass. Relative that rides there a lot just likes to avoid it. Leaving in the am for somewhere with new snow out of this system. I will report on the 850 at 100 miles.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
As some have said the power on the bottom seems very soft. I believe this is a mapping issue but it does make it very controllable and easy not to trench when starting out. It does however make it harder to get the "Instant Lift" that the AXYS is known for. Clutching may cure this completely as it just seems a bit slow to respond compared to the 800 Poo or the 850 Doo. Every other aspect of this sled is stellar.

I agree about the bottom end comment, this engine needs the pork chop crank to have the awsome bottom end that the 800 has. The mid range is good and the top end is amazing if you got the space to let the speed build up, like poach a track for 50 feet than step into the fresh powder and this thing will plane like crazy.
The front end is amazing, i can side hill any deg of slope with percesion and have confidence pulling it off, also the shock package is great for my 170 lb weight.
I did install a jaws can on my last ride , after breakin and did have a few low end bogging issues, iv sent jaws a message and am waiting for thier reply.
Sled is a 163 2.6 with 70 grms at 5000 feet and cooler air temps.
Erik from vohk did tell me to rev this motor to 8400

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Are you saying that with SLP cans the starter roller can be left on?

I’ve got an slp comp can and can’t see how it could melt that roller

I left my roller on. My buddy put his SLP can on and the pull starter handle didn't tighten up and would rattle as it was loose. So I left mine on to experiment a little. I think SLP has you remove it so you don't burn the rope on their can. I haven't had that happen yet though.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

The engine Indy Dan put a ring on the bearing locked up at 78miles.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Yes, stock engine had bearing lock up at 78 miles.
Then dan liked the bearing so much, he put a ring on it... now that same engine is up and running.

While i was definitely not clear how i worded it. My point is, there is no magic "safe" number that u can reach with mileage or hrs.

Premium Features