• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Grab Strap Options

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Noticed my grab strap is torn and ready to rip off, what options are out there other than buying a new set of bars? Remove the cross bar and install the older style strap and cross bar? Thanks.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I don't grab throttle and the grab strap simultaneously, but sidehilling tight technical tree lines all day I find myself needing to get the sled back on edge sometimes, and that's where it comes in handy, not as a crutch for riding with. Just sucks polaris won't sell this as a seperate piece. I will try warranty! Thanks.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
So have you tryed throwing Pro bars on Axys ???

Is the Crossbar Wider Or as I suspect narrower ??

Might lead to some of the Tippyness some think is in these new chassis along with taller spindles and higher boards ..

Boy that sure sounds like what everyone wanted .. I Like Orange Assault RMK Cake and I'm going to get Stuffed !!!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I don't grab throttle and the grab strap simultaneously, but sidehilling tight technical tree lines all day I find myself needing to get the sled back on edge sometimes, and that's where it comes in handy, not as a crutch for riding with. Just sucks polaris won't sell this as a seperate piece. I will try warranty! Thanks.

They had to order a brand new set of handlebars for me. Then since they wouldn't include grip heaters I told my dealer to just switch out cross bars for me. Hopefully this one holds up better. Like you said, it's nice to have when you are stuck on a sidehill and need to get the sled back on it's edge. Otherwise, I don't touch it.

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
They had to order a brand new set of handlebars for me. Then since they wouldn't include grip heaters I told my dealer to just switch out cross bars for me. Hopefully this one holds up better. Like you said, it's nice to have when you are stuck on a sidehill and need to get the sled back on it's edge. Otherwise, I don't touch it.

Hard counter steer and working the throttle and brake get the sled back on edge much easier than pulling on the Grab strap.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Everyone gets that some of you are just such phenomenal riders that you have no use for a grab strap, but for the 95% they are extremely convenient. Heck I bet I pull on mine 30-40 times a ride.

I think its pretty clear that this guy posted wanting info on how to get a new strap, not to hear your opinions on them.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Everyone gets that some of you are just such phenomenal riders that you have no use for a grab strap, but for the 95% they are extremely convenient. Heck I bet I pull on mine 30-40 times a ride.

I think its pretty clear that this guy posted wanting info on how to get a new strap, not to hear your opinions on them.
I'm no phenomenal rider, but I'd have to say I use my grab strap pretty much 0% of the time. Only reason I have it on is to protect my phone/GPS that's strapped to the crossbar.

The grab strap is certainly a method to tip the sled up in the trees or to help roll it when stuck, and I've used it in the past. But I've discovered much simpler methods. For tree riding, throttle is your friend. I can tip my sled instantly by just blipping the throttle. Effortless. Obviously, my 36" front end helps a ton.

When stuck, I pretty much get unstuck two ways. First, if I'm not on a steep hill or hopelessly dug in, the ol' Pro will usually just dig it's way out with lots of throttle and a bunch of shaking. I've showed more than one guy how to do this and it's sometimes amazing how well it can dig out. Always try this first and I guarantee it'll surprise you at first.

Second, when shakin' don't work, it's roll time. But the first thing to always do is use the track to do the digging. Start the sled, hit the throttle, and pull on the bars to roll the sled. The track will dig itself out and the sled will roll on its side with virtually no effort. No grab strap necessary. No bungee needed.

I'm sure many of you know this stuff already, but just in case you don't...

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
I'm no phenomenal rider, but I'd have to say I use my grab strap pretty much 0% of the time. Only reason I have it on is to protect my phone/GPS that's strapped to the crossbar.

The grab strap is certainly a method to tip the sled up in the trees or to help roll it when stuck, and I've used it in the past. But I've discovered much simpler methods. For tree riding, throttle is your friend. I can tip my sled instantly by just blipping the throttle. Effortless. Obviously, my 36" front end helps a ton.

When stuck, I pretty much get unstuck two ways. First, if I'm not on a steep hill or hopelessly dug in, the ol' Pro will usually just dig it's way out with lots of throttle and a bunch of shaking. I've showed more than one guy how to do this and it's sometimes amazing how well it can dig out. Always try this first and I guarantee it'll surprise you at first.

Second, when shakin' don't work, it's roll time. But the first thing to always do is use the track to do the digging. Start the sled, hit the throttle, and pull on the bars to roll the sled. The track will dig itself out and the sled will roll on its side with virtually no effort. No grab strap necessary. No bungee needed.

I'm sure many of you know this stuff already, but just in case you don't...

Sounds like you've got a lot of experience...at getting stuck:face-icon-small-sho:present:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Hey whats wrong with crutches, I'm all for grab bars and lefty's, reverse, electric start. Why would you want to make your riding experience harder than it has to be? I bet you guys who don't run grab bars drive trucks without power steering and power brakes too :)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I get stuck plenty... much more than some of the rock stars on here.

Plus I'm a small guy I need all the points I can get at to reef on the sled to get it out when stuck.

Spent time riding with Burandt, Adams etc etc.. and know the issues, first hand of using the grab strap to ride the sled.

I still like having it on the sled and it comes in handy for sure... especially when stuck.

PITA to change out the bars for just a grab strap (grips, hooks, heaters, throttle block etc)

I think you can add an aftermarket strap if you reposition the kill switch... then just cut your existing strap off.

WPS has one of their own at a super reasonable price 44-7800.
WP-44-7800_L.jpg

I like the Skinz Protective Gear strap... very clean design.
WPS has them in stock... but they are pricey at $70 msrp
Maybe your dealer that sold you the sled will sell it to you at a discount... they get 30-40% MSRP on stuff like this.

735_SPG_Grab_Strap_MS100_Pic_2.jpg

Stock AXYS bars.
2017-Polaris-Pro-RMK-Handlebar-1000x569.jpg

2881235.jpg

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Hard counter steer and working the throttle and brake get the sled back on edge much easier than pulling on the Grab strap.

Amen!!!

Rip that stupid thing off and don't look back!! They truly are there for creating bad habits!!

S
Jan 21, 2016
grab strap

A message for tuneman. I see you are Minnesota. how much time do you spend in the mountains where one mistake and your sled is gone for good. And if you do get to bring it home you have a yard sale to recouped cost of recovery. if you are not riding serious mountain exposure every weekend zip your lips together.

Premium Features