• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PC or MAC

PC vs Mac

• PC

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Mac

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
lol Alright that is some funny stuff. Im not against people using PC's just as Im not against someone who drives a dodge with a yami in the back. To each his own. I personally can't stand PC and was just wondering what everybody else uses. :)

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i ran across that website awhile ago...finally found a home for the link...I use a PC cause they are cheap and I don't really do enough with computers to give a chit.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
PC or Mac??

I personally love my Mac and absolutely hate PC!!!

Just wondering what everybody else prefers....

Used to be like that. Have a dell laptop at work, it works well for what I use it for there.

I own a Mac (Several, actually) for personal use. However, it's got Windows and Linux on it. There's things I need windows for, but don't care to pack around a 2nd computer. Windows in a virtual machine does the trick.

Powerbook 140: 16MHz 68LC040, 4MB RAM, 80MB HD, 640x400 black/white display
Performa 475: 33Mhz 68040, 24MB RAM, 120MB HD, VGA display
iMac RevB: 333MHz G3, 96MB RAM, 320GB HD's... it's my server:
iBook G3: 733MHz G3, 128MB RAM, 40GB HD
iBook G4: 933MHz G4, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD (Best computer i've owned)
Macbook: 2x2.0GHz Intel 80486, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Used to be like that. Have a dell laptop at work, it works well for what I use it for there.

I own a Mac (Several, actually) for personal use. However, it's got Windows and Linux on it. There's things I need windows for, but don't care to pack around a 2nd computer. Windows in a virtual machine does the trick.

Powerbook 140: 16MHz 68LC040, 4MB RAM, 80MB HD, 640x400 black/white display
Performa 475: 33Mhz 68040, 24MB RAM, 120MB HD, VGA display
iMac RevB: 333MHz G3, 96MB RAM, 320GB HD's... it's my server: http://wildcat.homeunix.net
iBook G3: 733MHz G3, 128MB RAM, 40GB HD
iBook G4: 933MHz G4, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD (Best computer i've owned)
Macbook: 2x2.0GHz Intel 80486, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD.

I guess I came across a little strong, didn't mean to make it look that way. I guess pc just got to me a little and since i've had my mac everything seems to be alot more easy flowing. I do have the virtual machine with XP on it because alot of the programs and such here at college are all windows based. Didn't really mean to start an argument, just wondering what the majority was out there.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Got a Mac with virtual machine and xp it also has windows vista on it all we have ever done on it is go on facebook not sure how surfin the net is different on it than a pc.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I got a few PCs and two MACs...and the best puter in my house is a home grown clone PC i made myself....screw that bundled junk they feed us. I decent home build PC from 5 years ago will still smoke anything packaged today:beer;

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
Everybody listen UP!!!!!! From my name you can figure out who I'm pulling for. Mac's are fine machine's, but lacking in compatibilty to the mainstream PC. I will admit they are better at graphics, but that is where I stop bragging them up. Spyware, adware, malware, and virus's are all specifically written to attack a certain operating system (ie windows or mac). Since mac has such a small percentage of the market share, nobody care about writing a virus, adware, spyware, malware that will infect their machines. All of these bad things are targeted towards kids. Basically, whatever they will click on or download will probably have bad things with it................KEEP THIS IN MIND ...... if it's free or fun it probably has adware with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Mac for home PC for work.. Anybody see the latest Mac/Pc commercial where PC goes into time machine to see if his issues have been figured out in the future???? Only to arrive to see himself and he is froze up...gawd thats a gooder. Those commercials are pretty creative. Microsoft tried to battle them but there commercials are weak.:beer;:beer;

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Everybody listen UP!!!!!! From my name you can figure out who I'm pulling for. Mac's are fine machine's, but lacking in compatibilty to the mainstream PC. I will admit they are better at graphics, but that is where I stop bragging them up. Spyware, adware, malware, and virus's are all specifically written to attack a certain operating system (ie windows or mac). Since mac has such a small percentage of the market share, nobody care about writing a virus, adware, spyware, malware that will infect their machines. All of these bad things are targeted towards kids. Basically, whatever they will click on or download will probably have bad things with it................KEEP THIS IN MIND ...... if it's free or fun it probably has adware with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you say is mostly true however, it is not just the fact that they dont want to target. The fact Mac is using a unix system it is way more secure and more difficult to write virus to.

Now here is a fact you WONT find with Microsoft. I updated to Leopard OS on my Mac and had a update problem which sent it into a loop. This required a tech assistance call to Apple. Over an HOUR on phone talking to an ENGLISH speaking person problem solved. The charge...........$0.00. Plus the tech I was talking to when I asked him the issues he has had with virus's since I thought surely somebody has had those type of infections....his answer, "6 years I have been doing this and have not seen one call that was a result of virus infected machines"

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
PC for me.

Mac's are going to have less problems because there's less of them out there compared to PC's.

Most PC problems are PICNIC(Problem in chair, not in computer).

In regards to that video, I can't remember the last time I had to install anything on my PC for a camera to work, plug it in and it works. Most of the problems I see is people plug them in but then they don't know how to get the pictures off the camera. That's the user's fault, not the camera or the PC.

Those people complaining about having to install stuff probably don't have the service packs installed.:rolleyes:

The biggest mistake Microsoft made was setting Windows by default to check for updates at 3 AM. Most people have their computers turned off or they are logged out at that time. How the hell are they supposed to install updates? Whenever I work on a computer I change that time to 8 PM, when most people are at home and on the computer.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Mac's are fine machine's, but lacking in compatibilty to the mainstream PC. I will admit they are better at graphics, but that is where I stop bragging them up. Spyware, adware, malware, and virus's are all specifically written to attack a certain operating system (ie windows or mac). Since mac has such a small percentage of the market share, nobody care about writing a virus, adware, spyware, malware that will infect their machines. All of these bad things are targeted towards kids. Basically, whatever they will click on or download will probably have bad things with it................KEEP THIS IN MIND ...... if it's free or fun it probably has adware with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10 years ago they weren't compatible. USB has replaced ADB, IDE/SATA has replaced SCSI, BSD has replaced Mac OS (classic). Buy a USB mouse for a "PC", plug it into the Mac, and it'll work. Same goes for HDs. Plug a windows formatted drive into the Mac, it'll read it. Plug a Mac formatted HD into a windows box and see how far you get.

Also, security through obscurity!

What you say is mostly true however, it is not just the fact that they dont want to target. The fact Mac is using a unix system it is way more secure and more difficult to write virus to.

Now here is a fact you WONT find with Microsoft. I updated to Leopard OS on my Mac and had a update problem which sent it into a loop. This required a tech assistance call to Apple. Over an HOUR on phone talking to an ENGLISH speaking person problem solved. The charge...........$0.00. Plus the tech I was talking to when I asked him the issues he has had with virus's since I thought surely somebody has had those type of infections....his answer, "6 years I have been doing this and have not seen one call that was a result of virus infected machines"
Yep, their service is pretty good. THe $200 I spent on Applecare in 2002 got me a brand new computer a year later (after 6 mainboards) and $1200 off my new Macbook a few years ago.

And again, op system built on BSD does make viruses/spyware rather difficult to build as there's less inherent weaknesses than windows has.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
10 years ago they weren't compatible. USB has replaced ADB, IDE/SATA has replaced SCSI, BSD has replaced Mac OS (classic). Buy a USB mouse for a "PC", plug it into the Mac, and it'll work. Same goes for HDs. Plug a windows formatted drive into the Mac, it'll read it. Plug a Mac formatted HD into a windows box and see how far you get.

Also, security through obscurity!

Yep, their service is pretty good. THe $200 I spent on Applecare in 2002 got me a brand new computer a year later (after 6 mainboards) and $1200 off my new Macbook a few years ago.

And again, op system built on BSD does make viruses/spyware rather difficult to build as there's less inherent weaknesses than windows has.

This is exactly why Mac has been taking off lately. They finally have learned that compatibility to the rest of the world is a good thing. It used to be to buy a Mac you had to get their printers, their mouse, their DVD players, etc, but now they have gotten to plug and play with the rest of the world.

the only reason i dont own a mac is because i have a work issued laptop and macs are so ridiculously expensive its insane... You can build a screaming laptop for 600 these days, a comparable mac will run you close to 3000...

Premium Features