• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil Routing Help !

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I know this may sound a bit odd and really simple- but I just bought a 1997 Indy 500 RMK for my girlfriends son -(Evolved Chassis)
It had a broken recoil on it- and that's all fixed-
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to re-route the pull rope!!

I have tried going through the 2 guides built into the side panel but it pulls way hard and drags across the brake housing.

Taking the recoil off it pulls easily as I rewound it 3 tims thinking I got the spring to tight-
Anyone care to snap a few pics and show me how yours might be routed?
This sled doesn't have the pig tail mounted to the top of the brake housing assembly-

Ideas?

Thanks in advance
:face-icon-small-win
S/C

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Sorry, the service manual I have doesn't show the routing detail.

Try searching Google images of your particular machine & maybe you'll find a good picture of the engine compartment.

Good luck!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Sorry, the service manual I have doesn't show the routing detail.

Try searching Google images of your particular machine & maybe you'll find a good picture of the engine compartment.

Good luck!
Ya I tried that also but only images of the sled-
Seems really retarded to even ask but it makes no sense routing the way it seems like it should
Too hard to even pull over running the pull rope thru the 3 guide holes- really fray's the rope and rubs against the brake housing

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Post pictures of your engine compartment, focusing on the starter rope path & maybe someone will chime with a suggestion.

Other than that you may want to custom build guides to route the starter rope in a more efficient manner, providing you have the resources.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
good ol polaris fit n finish. both my sleds from the 90s rub the brake, and one also rubs the coolant bottle. tool kit should have a strap you can wind around the clutch if you should break a rope out there.

Premium Features