• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 850: "Second Ride" Review

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
If its anything like the ones on previous model sleds, they are just valved and sprung VERY soft. Im only 155# but an aggressive rider and found that I was blowing through the suspension SO easily. The factory piggybacks area major upgrade, but then again, aftermarket suspension tailored to the rider is hard to beat.

Pull it in the shop and put some 15W oil in them and run the Nitrogen up to 225 . It will be all better.

I've had a IQ come with Zero pressure in the front track shock

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Sea Level review !!

I took it out of the truck and warmed it up to 100.
Pulled across the yard and we have around 8" of wet snow from 4-5 days ago so it's all froze up to hard base.

Made a few circles to check out the front to see how tippy it is. Not bad I would say it feels like a 38 compared to my 18' with 36" ZBros and no Swaybar

Turned towards our hay field and put the skies to the sky. It does pull harder than a broken in Pro all day long . Our Air here makes power no matter the Mapping. I did hit the rev limiter a few times when it doesn't hook up so it's still got that LW Crank hit we all like.

Only strange thing of the new motor is that it doesn't spool down as quickly. Almost feels like a 700VES idle hang. It let's off but has way more run on. ( Only words that fit it) or take the waste gate off a turbo and it has that feel. It could be the track is actually spinning free with the clips being on the paddles and not dragging.

So far it has 1 mile so I'll see if it gets into the power after a week at Cooke Next week. Have a 11 Pro , 17 Pro and a 18 GEN4 so will have a nice comparison

Last edited:

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Only strange thing of the new motor is that it doesn't spool down as quickly. Almost feels like a 700VES idle hang. It let's off but has way more run on. ( Only words that fit it) or take the waste gate off a turbo and it has that feel. It could be the track is actually spinning free with the clips being on the paddles and not dragging.

That could be due to it running a bit rich the first hours. When it leans out abit it should also start to be more snappy.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
This thread is ridiculous!

People are already convinced that the motor isn't strong and very few have ridden it in deep snow let alone ridden it at all. Some even saying they need a turbo.

Others are saying they are ready for a shock change and once again probably don't have much time on the sled. Personally, I think the shocks are great on this sled. First time I have said that ever on a Polaris. I had the Dragon WE's that were garbage, 2011 Pro coil overs that were mush and Axys piggy backs that required a revalve or replacement by Exits or others. These new shocks work much better and I'll be leaving them on.

You guys keep judging, I'll be riding this weekend and approaching 200 miles.
Colorado got dat gud green :face-icon-small-hap

I dont think anyone has said the motor isnt that strong... just that the bottom end is not that of the Doo, and that’s absolutely true. And pretty much every review has included the disclaimer that the sled is still in break in. People are just being honest from what I can tell, not judgemental.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
That’s great, Polaris must be hand building my 850. It hasn’t shipped.

I thought I got mine late. Hang in there, it will come. I'd be pissed in Colorado. We've been hit with a lot of snow. Still November and we just got another 6-10".

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Colorado got dat gud green :face-icon-small-hap

I dont think anyone has said the motor isnt that strong... just that the bottom end is not that of the Doo, and that’s absolutely true. And pretty much every review has included the disclaimer that the sled is still in break in. People are just being honest from what I can tell, not judgemental.

Seems to prove what Bikeman found on the dyno. Peak power is equal, Doo has more area under the curve.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
You hit it on the head. Stellar na's. It's all in the traction. Turbos spin. Stellar na's do not. Therefore, turbos lose.
It's like a drag race at the drag strip. An 1000hp car spins and smokes the tires all the way down the track while the 500hp well setup car zings down the track and wins. 1000hp car looks cool, sounds cool and has the wow factor, but in reality, it's useless.
The 500hp is superior and wins but gets no recognition while the 1000hp guy is making excuses and can't admit defeat.
It's no different with sleds except few have seen this yet. It's here now but it will take 5-10 years for crotchety old, stuck in their ways, "that ain't gonna work" type tuners/builders/shop owners to think outside the box.
Anything more than 150hp is wasted on track spin with turbos. Sure they go, but they could go twice as good with traction. Easily.
Flame away.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
The engine performs better than the 800, basic fact. Makes more HP/TRQ than the 800... Even more than the 800 with full pipe and fuel controller. Holds up against them with a head as well.. This is all dyno proven.

Not sure why anyone would think a 170hp engine would compete against a 180-240hp turbo sled, actually I have yet to here that comparison but....

Dyno shows it and I feel it, the sled make more power and paired with some boost with be a hard one to beat.

I have rode many BB engines and full out stage engines, non of them compete with a proper setup boosted sled!

I also will be running Silber

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
6) I work for Silber.

Hook a brother up!

I finally got my sled together last night and bounced around with the 850 clickers on the dollies.

Holy **** what are they thinking with that rebound damping? hahah....I'm pretty sure my shocks still haven't extended all the way from compressing them at 10pm last night.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Traction is king but, skid set up, track length and thrott control have a lot to do with traction and the ability to get on top of the snow. Sleds with the skid not set up properly are going to trench, equal traction and more hp is going to beat it up the mountain. JMHO

D
Mar 13, 2014
Good advice haha.
To get this thread back on course.
Headed to Revelstoke next week and cant wait to get my 850 out there with some miles.

Does anyone know the actual hour parameters for the break in mode? Been awhile since my 800 was in break in mode and can't remember.

I would love to come but my truck makes to much HP and I can't get any traction to get up there. Have fun!

Premium Features