• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

can a 162 jump?

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
of course it "can" jump. but back when i went from 153 to 162, the first thing i noticed was that i lost the ability to hit little jumps- side hits on the trail, little windlips, etc. it either just wheelies over the top of a hit, or plows right through a transition.

i'm already convinced that i want to go back to 153 (actually a 154x3" alpha :face-icon-small-hap ) but my budget isn't going to allow that till next season.

so i'm wondering if i can split the difference between 154 and 162 with suspension setup for this season.
i assume that softening up the rear float would help handle my plowing though the transitions problem.
would stiffening up the center float get me airborne a little sooner? (rather than catwalking over a lip)

now how about the trade off? skis are gonna be up in the air during a climb... anything else?

anyone have any suggestions on float pressure settings? or what psi increments i should use when testing? 2,5,10psi at a time?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
more front track shock pressure will help give it that playfulness you're after. they jump well. I added a cross shaft in place of the rear scissor arm stops for a little added strength. the stops get used a lot catching air and there's really no upper rail support until the rear axle. what model/lug size do you have?

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
2012 sno pro, running a 2.5" camo extreme, full cupped lugs.

you figure that just stiffening up the front track spring will do it alone, or soften up the back at the same time? i feel like i should try that.

i have to check the ski pressures too. after doing some reading, i feel like i may need to soften them up a bit. can't remember where i'm at though.

i'll visit the rail brace thing if i can actually start getting this thing off the ground more often. thanks!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
your '12 is different than my 17 but I think you're on the right track. if its too stiff and won't raise skis then maybe let some out of rear but be careful of bottoming out. might want to at least add the braces that come stock on the newer skids if possible. there were a few different mounting holes for the skid since '12. I think it was '13 that was in a location where it pushed the front end up outa the snow more but I could be wrong. Bend in the rails up front I think changed too. might be worth looking into if you can't get it where you like.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Yes. Stiffer front shock and front track shock settings will help keep the front end up and help give it some pop off the lip rather than absorbing it from the longer track that is trying to drive you through it. The brake is your friend once in air on bigger hits.

Premium Features