• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutching

longrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
peace river ab. can.
I am going to change my clutching tomorrow. I have a '10 HCR and I am wondering if I need a clutch compressor. I have the secondary off and hopefully my rollers are in tomorrow. I am planning on changing primary weights leaving the primary on. Is this possible.
Thanks

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yup, the primary spring is a breeze to change. Just remove the bolts on the outer primary cltuch face and swap out the spring.

The rollers........... I haven't personally changed them in a cat clutch.

On the secondary, you'll need something to compress the clutch a bit. You can use a piece of threaded rod and large washers or a really long bolt too.

R

richardsb014

Nov 28, 2007
Wyoming
You will definitely need a tool to compress the secondary before you can get it apart. My AC dealer lets me use his, so I have not made one up.

Once you get it apart, you need a punch to press the roll pins out of the sheave (the roll pins hold in the pins the rollers are mounted to). Insert the punch from the side of the sheave the belt rides on. The shaft of the punch that goes into the hole needs to be approximately 3” long. (I’ve heard some use a drill bit or another smaller roll pin to do this, but the proper sized punch is probably the best)

I’ve pasted instructions on removing the roller pins below. These were provided by 89sandman. I pulled 4 secondarys apart this weekend and replaced the rollers. You shouldn’t have an issue since your secondary is new. I had a heck of a time getting the roller pins out of the secondarys from the 07 M8s. They were a bit corroded.

89sandman’s instructions. “the rollers in the secondary are tuff!!! i used allen wrenches, find a size that just almost fits between the center shaft and the pin you want out. just a little bigger, put the bent end on the pin and the other end against the center shaft then take a hammer and tap the end of the allen wrench that is against the center shaft down this will force the other end to start pushing the pin out. i used about 4 or 5 each one a little longer at the bend until the pins came out.”

This may seem confusing until you look at the rollers when you have the secondary apart. I also had success using an allen wrench that provided a slight gap between it and the center shaft, and then inserted the tip of a screwdriver and pried with it.

Last but not least, be sure and use blue loctite on the torx head bolts when you reassemble your secondary. Good luck.

Premium Features