• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

stupid ? about bars...

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Didn't want to lock the title down too much... leave it open for future readers without my exact same machine.

On my sled... the PO apparently hacked around the wiring to the bars. I've got cut wires and a toggle switch that goes no-where.
So... I have been looking to find a set of bars w/warmers all ready to go. My sled is an '04 KK/1M 900 carb. Everything works... except the warmers, but I'm not a fan of wiring problems and I'm expecting some.

Just wondering what bars out there would work as replacements so i can broaden my search. I'm assuming AC something... so the wiring will match up, as I suspect I'll be doing some "on the fly" rewiring to get it all working smoothly. Mainly looking to find out what years are compatible and what I may look out for. I've never done a set of bar warmers and haven't got a clue what all is involved.

Thanks in advance...

off to fix the lift and get the sled in the shop. new seat and rails to install. :face-icon-small-hap c-ya later!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Handle bars off any 2002 - 2006 Mountain cat / King cat or M series will work for you. Including 1M600's - M5's - M6's.

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Sorry to jack this, but with the warmers I've noticed adding hand guards help with the.cold. but how would you mount powermadd style guards on the bars with all the rubber/plastic? Have a set in the shop thatch came off my f7

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Here are my protapers that are up for sale. Aftermarket hand warmers, gel wrap and a 90* hook on the brake side and 45* on the throttle side. Filled with foam insulation and on low they get mighty freaking hot. I have a power madd on the throttle side but not the brake side...brakes pssssshhhhhh we don't need not stinking brakes

IMG_20121001_154100.jpg

IMG_20121001_154115.jpg

IMG_20121001_154143.jpg

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
btw...my bars look like they are ridiculously tall because they are. I'm 6'2 and i don't sit down very often....questioning myself if I'm going to even put a seat on my next build or just a pad haha

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
Thanks for the tips ACMtnCat!

Goin For Snow, already got the tank drained and off. No run... no power with the carbed, pull starts. best I can do is test with a 9 volt, I guess.

ah... meat, you remind me of a younger guy I once new. enjoy it while your intact man! As for me... I need brakes. Not so much for play time... but for making it back down, through all the whoopties & switchbacks. already told you the story about coming back down the mtn. w/frozen gloves.

buying those straight bars would mean I'd need a crazy lift like you. I did take a seat on the new WRP setup before I pulled the tank off. That extra 3" of lift makes a huge difference. I've already got a 2" extension... may need a 4" as it is.

well, here's what I figured out this afternoon... the PO lost the original warmers. must have thought it was the elements (maybe so) and replaced them with a 2 stage set (on/off, vs. hi/off/lo). tried to plug them into the existing controls and realized the problem was in the switch (or maybe caused it). PO must a gave up and hard wired a toggle into the 2 stage, after butchering more wires.
Deeper inspection of the throttle side switch showed the wires had melted together, hardly an inch away from the switch, inside the case. Rendering the throttle side switch useless (I can solder wire well enough... but not that good).

the PO also mangled the brake lever wires to setup an L.E.D. brake light imbedded in the stock seat (that was busted up when I got it) and there were two weird little lights under the fuel tank... for god knows what!?! I'll be fixing that all up and getting it back to the stock config. with a running and brake light. Can't have my buds rear ending me on the late run home in the dark.

now I'm not sure if I should get into the brake side lever case or not... no visible screws to access, so I assume they are hiding behind the brake fluid res. control wires appear intact... but so did the left side before I cracked it open.
man... I hate wiring!

So... as I see my options...
(1) I can try to re-wire it as the PO had intended and bypass the existing switches, make better connections and run the on/off toggle setup and hope the elements are intact.
(2) I can replace everything to stock, with more wiring hassle and a few hundred in OEM parts.
(3) I can buy another set of bars, ready to rock and swap over my brake lever and lefty throttle setup (assuming I can find a stock or equal set)

Last edited:

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
my bars are up for grabs... then you wouldnt need to go taller. I'll even keep the mtn bar on it

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Sorry to jack this, but with the warmers I've noticed adding hand guards help with the.cold. but how would you mount powermadd style guards on the bars with all the rubber/plastic? Have a set in the shop thatch came off my f7

cutting and trimming..but the easiest for best warmth is the SKINZ handguards..and decent protection and 8 second install per side..

40 bucks someone has for sale..
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318744

Last edited:
Premium Features