• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder extreme gearing for 151" track

Oct 19, 2010
I just found a cheap track to see if my 97 powder extreme has the power to actually be a low budget mountain machine. Anyway I am just getting back into sledding and need some advice on what to use for gearing. Since this is a super cheap build gears that can use the stock chain would be preferred. I don't like trails so top speed is of no concern I just want enough track speed to be able to climb. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on what rail extensions are best would be appreciated as well. Thanks all, Blair

Oct 19, 2010
Did you get that mod done yet? if so where did you get the gears and chain. Looks like you actually aren't to far away from me. I am in Twin Falls Id can't wait for the snow to hit. Thanks, Blair

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
I put a 151 on my powder special 580 last year.

DSC02167.jpg

It has 18 top and 43 bottom gears. It really pulls hard but wont win any flat land speed records.

Oct 19, 2010
It has 18 top and 43 bottom gears. It really pulls hard but wont win any flat land speed records.

How fast will it go? I would be happy if it would go 60 or so as long as it climbs well. Since your sled is similiar to mine do you have any info or pics of how you did your long track? Also where did you get your parts. Thanks, Blair

if your still wanting to use your original chain, from the gears you are at now try to keep the same tooth count as you drop and gain like from a 20-40 to a 18-42, some good rail extensions if your goin that way are from wps, or tracksusa
I put a 162 on a 96' t-cat mtncat chassis with an 800 zrt motor, and thats the gearing i went with and pretty happy with it

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
If possible keep you top gear 20 tooth or more. When you use a small top gear like an 18, the chain has to bend a pretty sharp corner, one it robs power, and two it wears the chain and topsprocket quickly. That vintage of sled we used to gear 20/42, easiest safe low gears for a mtn sled with 8 or 9 tooth drivers.

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
I started by getting a whole rear skid from a i think it was a 2003 Mt cat. The previous owner has already installed the 9" big wheel kit. All together it fit a 151 inch track. I had a local shop bend me up a aluminum tunnel extension ( basically a box with a missing side. I made a new rear bumper out of electrical conduit. My brother in law is an electrition. I got a new snow flap from the local Arctic Cat shop. Its for an M sled but I just modified it to fit. Most of this was just making it work. I extended the heat exchanger lines and mounted it under the tunnel extension.

1031091555.jpg

1031091556.jpg

cid__downsized_1108091735.jpg

cid__downsized_1108091736.jpg

No comments about the messy garage.

Oct 19, 2010
I started by getting a whole rear skid from a i think it was a 2003 Mt cat. The previous owner has already installed the 9" big wheel kit. All together it fit a 151 inch track. I had a local shop bend me up a aluminum tunnel extension ( basically a box with a missing side. I made a new rear bumper out of electrical conduit. My brother in law is an electrition. I got a new snow flap from the local Arctic Cat shop. Its for an M sled but I just modified it to fit. Most of this was just making it work. I extended the heat exchanger lines and mounted it under the tunnel extension.

No comments about the messy garage.

Hey thanks for all the pictures and info. It is great to be able to see it. Does it perform as well as you had hoped? Also I looked today and I could not find gears that low so if anyone has any good sources for them I would appreciate it. BTW that sure is a nice clean garage you have there :D Thanks again, Blair

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2010
Thanks a bunch for all the tech and charts and pictures. Looks like I have some work ahead of me as soon as I can get the real job to slow down some. Later, Blair

Premium Features