• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015-2017 Arctic Cat

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Anyone have any idea when I can start looking at Arctic Cat/Yamaha again for a new sled?

I am just pretty dead set against the current model. I only want a couple things changed then I am interested again.

1. Narrow up the damn body. (Copy Polaris)
2. Fix the clutching issues. (Yamaha Clutchs would be good)
3. What are the plans for the 4s market?
4. Bring back the M1000 2s motor.
5. Ditch the snocross spindles

Things I like
1. Vertical steering
2. hmmm, can't think of anything else.

No really when is Cat/Yamaha going to release a new sled? I really like Cat, lets step it up and do something now.

So what are your likes, and dislikes?

Thunder

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Budget constraints usually push a manufacturer to utilize a chassis design for 4 to 5 model years in order to get a proper return on investment from the chassis. It does not cost them a whole bunch to make refinements to that chassis, much like they did with the M from 2005-2011. That chassis was around for 7 years.

Because most manufacturers are using a "like" chassis for both flat land and mountains, they can spread this cost out over a larger number of sleds and may get away with fewer years per chassis design.

IN MY OPINION, they are just now getting comfortable with the Proclimb chassis and getting it working right and it will be around through 2016. I don't think you will see any ground breaking changes for 2015 in the mountain segment. The 1000 motor is not coming back. The spindles are here to stay. Clutching is getting there.

The good thing is, they will have vertical steering in years to come so you should be fine!

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
You think there's a snow balls chance in hell we could get them to narrow the big girl up? (Kind of a Wyoboy1000 type of mod)

I just don't like the way they wash out on the steep hillsides. As the Pol's are scooting around the hill the cats are washed out.

this would be HUGE improvement in itself.

And I understand the idea of trying to use the same chassis for all lines. But IMO it doesn't work. With Cat and Yamaha sleeping together you think they could pony up a bit and make a purpose built machine. A competitive purpose built mount sled. Not a this will work type of deal.

Thunder

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I don't have the time to look up the data right now for you, but the worldwide sales of sleds is not going to allow manufactors to spend big bucks....just to lose them. You would be shocked at sales numbers, if I remember right sled sales in 1970 was what they were for the last 4 years combined...lol

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I don't have the time to look up the data right now for you, but the worldwide sales of sleds is not going to allow manufactors to spend big bucks....just to lose them. You would be shocked at sales numbers, if I remember right sled sales in 1970 was what they were for the last 4 years combined...lol

I know your right. But if they don't want to play the game they will not be in the game. I suppose what we have seen from AC is they don't care much about the mountain segment. So we will be forced to go another way. I will not ride a trail sled in the mountains. And that is pretty much what AC has right now. (Granted the 800 isn't to bad other than its fat and the clutches suck)

Thunder

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I don't think ur looking ahead far enough! What do u guys think the 2022 model years leads will be? Anniversary year!

Tongue out of cheek, I see ur complaints but I haven't seen the difference to the degree u describe. And i ride right next to two poos. Maybe we just don't push enough. In our group the better rider is always the better rider despite the brand of sled he is on. But I get it. I sno checked another pro climb, and plan on keeping it but if I don't, I am gonna try a poo. :0

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
im in the same boat as samiams, we rode with a guy that HAD a polaris and bought the cat this year, maybe we dont ride as steep/technical as most but we do ride the ****e outta our sleds. we have blown a couple belts on my dads sled the first year and none this past year and mine hasnt blown one since i bought it and fixed some stuff.
and i personally like the sled after getting used to it.
its a ways away before they do anything drastic

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Maybe I am to hung up on the 1100. It is a sidehilling PIG.

The couple 800's I was around, weren't as bad just because they were MUCH MUCH lighter. But they had the belt issues.

I have seen some quality riders, and I mean the guys that can really ride, and they have to work their butts off to hang on the side hill like the others.

Just a few things that Cat needs to think about.

As for the comment about looking at 2022. I am looking for the next release by cat. After that the greenies will have us all locked out and we will be on snow shoes anyway.

Thunder

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
As for the comment about looking at 2022. I am looking for the next release by cat. After that the greenies will have us all locked out and we will be on snow shoes anyway.

Thunder

If that's the case all I'll have left is HUNTING, but then again the greenies will "F" us out of that too!!! "That's to mean to the animals" in my greenie voice.

So we'll all just have to hunt Greenies!! I'm up for it, is anyone else??

Last edited:
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Funny rob kincaid has not got them to pull the sides in. Looks like hes getting more and more of a voice for them.

Its hard, i bought a polaris this year but the last three of mine have been polaris. My first sled was a puma then a prowler and i still really love cat. And funny this is my dad has 2 cats now. But anyways if my polaris is a quick drive belt blowing, skirt dropping, tunnel bending pos im getting a m8, but then i see cats have their issues too! Hopefully they get the clutching dialled for you guys, real skis and narrowing the belly i guess is the next step.

Will be cool to see what they do for their di 800 based off the 600 will be like, Hope its not like the polaris 800 from 08-12!

Last edited:

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
To each there own but there is no way I would want to go back to riding my M1000 after spending 2 years on a Proclimb 800. So much easier to ride, you actually have a real suspension, the sled gets on top of the snow way better and its lighter. I would much rather have a sled that is a little wider than have a throw away motor at 600 miles like the Polaris does.

My only point is no one is going to ever build the perfect sled for everyone. Get the one you like ride the heck out of it and deal with the shortcomings it may have. Who doesn't like to mod a sled anyway. If I was waiting for the perfect sled I would still be on my 1979 Enticer 340.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Maybe I am to hung up on the 1100. It is a sidehilling PIG.

The couple 800's I was around, weren't as bad just because they were MUCH MUCH lighter. But they had the belt issues.

I have seen some quality riders, and I mean the guys that can really ride, and they have to work their butts off to hang on the side hill like the others.

Just a few things that Cat needs to think about.

Thunder

Comparing the 4s Cat to the Poo is a really bad comparison. Of course the Pro will be better. The 12 Cat had its issues. The 13 was ALOT better. The 14 will be better yet, I hope. The real trick is to take a Proclimb and ride it for a few days. Set it up to the way you like it and I think you will be surprised how well it does. The Poo will not climb with the Cat and the Cat will not hang on an EXTREME hillside like a Poo. I have not had the clutch issues but some people have. That should be resolved also for '14. I am like some and have not had an issue with keeping up with the Pro's. Maybe I don't ride in these xtreme conditions others do. I am a very satisfied Proclimb owner.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'm in the same boat... I know I'll be back to cat, the question is just when they'll switch to the next chassis. I'm not unrealistic enough to think it'll be 2015, but I'd like to hope for 2017... it's only a few years away really. I'll be about done with my 2nd xm by then, so timing should work out great!

I don't see the incremental changes doing what I want without some serious work, so I'm THINKING I probably won't end up riding a PC again, but who the heck knows, I was wrong this one time back in the 80's, so I could be wrong again!!:face-icon-small-hap

S

SnoDay

Jan 3, 2013
Minnesota
I don't understand where everyone gets the idea that the next chassis will be narrower? So long as 4-strokes sell and so long as Cat/Yam are in a partnership the chassis will be wider to allow 2-3 cyl larger 4-cycle engines.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The M was a firecat in reality... that chassis was around from 2003? to 2011. that's a LONG time!!! I sure hope they get away from the PC quicker than that... but if you look at the XP compared to the XM... they're essentially the same sled, but the XM is WORLDS ahead in handling (I wouldn't have believed it had I not heard it here from other doo haters), if cat can make some changes on the level with that, I suppose it's entirely plausible that a PC could be in my trailer again soon.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
BCIL, All ths phat chassis talk and the PC s stll an inch more narrow than the XM your so pumped on. And the PC is lighter too!

Sounds like you're just re-hashing over and over the same lame gripe.

Cat has changed a bunch of the stuff I thought needed to be changed, I think the '14 Cat may be getting close to something good. I'm keeping my eyes on them and will likely buy one soon as I have a chance at a used one!

Maybe a used,modded 4s turbo!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
BCIL, All ths phat chassis talk and the PC s stll an inch more narrow than the XM your so pumped on. And the PC is lighter too!

Sounds like you're just re-hashing over and over the same lame gripe.

Cat has changed a bunch of the stuff I thought needed to be changed, I think the '14 Cat may be getting close to something good. I'm keeping my eyes on them and will likely buy one soon as I have a chance at a used one!

Maybe a used,modded 4s turbo!

guess it's not all about the numbers then...

Whatever the numbers, stats, whatever... like I said, and which is pretty pertinent to the conversation, I'm waiting for the next chassis, or a BIG change that makes it FEEL the way I want a sled to.

Stoked to see what changes come down the line, I'd be excited if they did some stuff that made the sled handle more in line with what I like, that would be sick!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I don't understand where everyone gets the idea that the next chassis will be narrower? So long as 4-strokes sell and so long as Cat/Yam are in a partnership the chassis will be wider to allow 2-3 cyl larger 4-cycle engines.

4 stroke do not need to be big or wide. Think 2 YZ450 Yamaha motorcycle engines siamesed together like they did the Phazer with 2 YZ250 engines done that way. Or think something along the lines of the Honda Goldwing engine for very low center of gravity. Lots can be done if the R&D department has the funds to do it.

But with the anemic sales numbers for sleds worldwide I have my doubts on any expensive R$D anytime soon.

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
Take a direct look at the front of the PC. It`s chubby! It looks like a light ball upside down!
Remove the foam inside the sidepanels and see how much room you got before clutches and the can hits the sidewalls and kills them.

I do believe there is possible to shave of some width here and there to make the body narrower but that probably takes a lot of time and talent to make the body panels fit again. Maybe there is room for narrowing the body and suck in the panels here and there but is it worth chopping up the brand new sled just because you can`t sidehill the steepest places?

Premium Features