• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walker compression / clickers shocks worth it?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
You really aren't going to notice any difference in the powder - thus the only place you would notice the difference is on the trail. Seems like regardless the trail sucks.

Soooo...can you really tell the difference with base shocks vs these?

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The walker piggybacks are definately a little nicer then the stockers. Adjustability goes a long ways. You can can make a very noticeable difference in how they handle in harder snow. In deep snow sleds all feel like sleds.

Obviously on the trail it helps quite a bit as well being able to click up and stiffen things.

Its a $600 snowcheck option which is a few bucks for sure but relatively cheap compared to aftermarket options which are basically going to be $2k+ for a full package of 4.

My biggest word of wisedom regarding suspension parts is GET SHOCKS REBUILT. The oil that comes in the off the floor walkers is pretty cheap and gets turned to a watery mess in short order (<500 miles). Both the standard monotube and the piggyback shocks are a good shock, just the provided valving and production oil leave something to be desired. Quality shocks built to a riders needs is hard to describe the quality of ride you get. Overall enjoyment is MUCH higher. Yes whooped out trails suck but it can sure make things a LOT more pleasent to ride. Much less harsh and jarring and greatly reduces rider fatigue.

Money on quality suspension is never wasted.

Rain Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2002
Brainerd,MN
Having had both...yes. If I snowcheck I won't hesitate to add them.

Powder, not so much difference, trail, on the way out or back, big difference, and if you don't like what your getting, a quick adjustment for conditions helps. However, I have softened them up on deep pow/less trail days with good results. You'd be surprised what just a few clicks does.

We spent an afternoon on a bad weather day just playing with the clickers on all corners on a rough trail, one adjustment at a time, learned a lot. It's like they build them the way they do for a reason. :face-icon-small-hap

I'd echo what WHM, just serviced my WE Clickers this year, was like a new suspension. Service them regularly.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Least expensive shock upgrade you will ever do. Wouldn’t have a snowcheck sled without them. Not as good as big $$ aftermarket shocks of course, but $600 doesn’t get you very far on those.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I say for most they are not worth it unless you like to play with gadgets. I just like to ride and am lazy. I adjusted them once and never touched them again. I think you are better off getting the standard shocks and, like nick said, get them rebuilt after 500 miles. You could do a revalve then. If you like to play with stuff then by all means get them. I just think most don't touch them.

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
I always get the upgraded shocks each year and think its worth it. It is a cheap upgrade for some decent shock with some adjustability.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
My Snowcheck sled had them. They are ok/good shocks IMO. But not as good as the Needle walkers.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I say for most they are not worth it unless you like to play with gadgets. I just like to ride and am lazy. I adjusted them once and never touched them again. I think you are better off getting the standard shocks and, like nick said, get them rebuilt after 500 miles. You could do a revalve then. If you like to play with stuff then by all means get them. I just think most don't touch them.

This sounds like me...I hate tinkering with gadgets / fine tuning something, just want to ride.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The WE mono tube with a revalve is a better choice than the WE piggy back. A good mono revalve will run you about the same money.
If the piggy’s were rebound adjustable it would be a different story. In reality piggy’s need a revalve as well.
The problem with both shocks offered from Polaris isn’t the compression side but a poor rebound stack. Rebound plays a large role in ride and handling.
The new 2019 springs are another component we will all need to keep an eye on. It was brought to my attention the material and drop in coil numbers may fatigue the spring. Keep an eye on uninstalled spring length and rate.
Here is the issue associated with the implementation of the high flow piston in 2019. The rear track shock is taking the brunt of the failures. This is just an example and the worst one to date. It is completely perforated.

picture.php

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The WE mono tube with a revalve is a better choice than the WE piggy back. A good mono revalve will run you about the same money.
If the piggy’s were rebound adjustable it would be a different story. In reality piggy’s need a revalve as well.
The problem with both shocks offered from Polaris isn’t the compression side but a poor rebound stack. Rebound plays a large role in ride and handling.
The new 2019 springs are another component we will all need to keep an eye on. It was brought to my attention the material and drop in coil numbers may fatigue the spring. Keep an eye on uninstalled spring length and rate.
Here is the issue associated with the implementation of the high flow piston in 2019. The rear track shock is taking the brunt of the failures. This is just an example and the worst one to date. It is completely perforated.

picture.php

For most guys who don't want to bother paying for a revalve or shipping their shocks away the piggy backs are a great value. Well worth the upgrade. I don't think anyone would chose them though if they were paying
full price and not just the factory optional upgrade.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
This sounds like me...I hate tinkering with gadgets / fine tuning something, just want to ride.
I hate to be that guy who can't really answer your question, as I've never ridden the clickers. But the monotubes with a revalve really ride well. I had Carls do mine on my 2017 and honestly think they rode better than the Burandt valved QS3s on my 2019 do. Part of that is probably on me- I don't REALLY know how to properly set up a shock, but I used Burandts recommendations, which should be close IMO.

Carls revalve on the monotubes is awesome. Set and forget it. Less of an investment up front (than high end aftermarket shocks). Highly recommend. Not affiliated. I hear TRS valving is good too. No experience.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I'd go with the mono tubes then take the $600 that it would cost to upgrade and put it in a re valve as mentioned above. Only additional note is to request synthetic oil when they do the re valve. Aint knobody got time to mess with clickers when there's powder to shred! Haha

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'd go with the mono tubes then take the $600 that it would cost to upgrade and put it in a re valve as mentioned above. Only additional note is to request synthetic oil when they do the re valve. Aint knobody got time to mess with clickers when there's powder to shred! Haha

The upgrade for the piggy-backs is $500 in Canada so I expect $400 in USA.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm not a big fan of piggyback shocks with the smaller 1/2" shafts like the pros have.... the Assault, with the 5/8" shaft and needles... I am a fan of those.

I agree with TRS on the IFP shocks.

The piggyback clickers have the same crappy mineral oil as the IFP's.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I am a fan of the 5/8 WE Needle shocks as well, I wish it was a factory option on the Pros.. With proper valving and springs they can ride just as good as Raptors for a lot less $$$. I have spent a good amount of time on both setups.

Last edited:
Premium Features