• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grand Lake

N
Jan 4, 2016
A group of us are headed to Grand Lake next week for a sled trip. Couple questions:
1. Trail Passes.... is there somewhere in Grand Lake to buy trail passes and what is needed to do so?

2. My group mainly rides off trail. Any suggested spots to hit? Ive been to Grand Lake before, but that was like almost 20 yrs ago and we only trail rode at that time. My group ranges in experience. Want to make the most of our time out there.

Any help is much appreciated.

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
Stop in Grandby at PowerWorld for nonresident tags or you can get them online and mailed to you. Print out the proof just in case it doesn't get to you in time. I haven't been to Grand Lake this year, but the riding is usually good over on the side of Gravel which Super Chicken is on. It should be on the maps. Go over to Park mountain if you don't find what you like there or if there are crowds. If there is a storm, might want to chase a powder day within a couple hours you might have a 6" difference on a given day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DanB

Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
I recommend that you trailer up to Idleglen in order to avoid the lower trails and shorten the time it takes to get to the better spots. You get to Idleglen via county road 4 which is a few miles south of Grand Lake off US34. County road 4 dead ends at the parking lot so its hard to miss.

Be advised that even from Idleglen that there is still quite a bit of trail riding involved; however, keep your eye out for play areas adjacent to the trail. It's not hard to find good tree riding off to the side as you ride along.

Finally, go here to access the latest conditions and groomer reports.

Last edited:
N
Jan 4, 2016
I recommend that you trailer up to Idleglen in order to avoid the lower trails and shorten the time it takes to get to the better spots. You get to Idleglen via county road 4 which is a few miles south of Grand Lake off US34. County road 4 dead ends at the parking lot so its hard to miss.

We are actually renting a house right off of County Rd 4. Will we be able to ride right from the house down 4 to get to the trail head? I am assuming that the only fuel stations are in town so we will probably have to trailer into town to fuel up everyday before getting on our way. Our plans are to trail ride as little as possible. We are the types that like to jump off and just venture back into the woods and stay away from groomed trails as much as possible.

DanB

Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Yes, it's quite likely you will be able to ride up county road 4 or along it's shoulders. I *highly* recommend ice scratchers if you do not have them. The road is almost always hard-pack (and often bare in spots), so it is easy to overheat if you have to ride several miles up the road and you don't have ice scratchers installed.

You are correct regarding access to gasoline. You'll need to trailer to Grand Lake or Granby to buy fuel.

Premium Features